One final check with fine folks here

Are you factoring in no more paying into SS, lower state and federal income taxes, and no more job and commute costs? These were pretty hefty decreases for us in annual expenses going into semi-ER.

Besides the house, my biggest expenses are golf, finance support of my parents, and dining out. As I age, they will be reduced a la Bernicke spending model. I still do a lot of LBYM. E.g, I take company shuttle to work, have only one car, have no smartphone, pack lunch to work, ...

I thought about paying off the house but with $380k to go, I have to use my investment money to pay it off. If I move to Roseville, I can probably buy house with cash from selling the house in Bay Area. That will reduce expense quite a bit. But I don't want to think about moving out of Bay Area yet.

Besides the house, my biggest expenses are golf, finance support of my parents, and dining out. As I age, they will be reduced a la Bernicke spending model. I still do a lot of LBYM. E.g, I take company shuttle to work, have only one car, have no smartphone, pack lunch to work, ...

I thought about paying off the house but with $380k to go, I have to use my investment money to pay it off. If I move to Roseville, I can probably buy house with cash from selling the house in Bay Area. That will reduce expense quite a bit. But I don't want to think about moving out of Bay Area yet.

Your other option is to stay in the area and downsize or move out of town a bit but not as far as Roseville. You have lots of options. A couple from one of our clubs just moved to a condo near a small golf course that didn't cost much more than the current equity in your home.

Last edited:
I can relate to your situation. Our numbers are very close, Approx. $1.8 mil in 401k, IRA, etc. + Home $250k. No mortgage or debt. Me 53, DH 57. He does have a pension $35k a year. Goal is $120k in spending in retirement Can reduce but would cut into our travel/fun budget. But same situation with politics at work. But our goal is to work until 4/1/2018. We both make good salaries, and I want to buffer our stash so we don't have to give up our fun/travel budget. We could live on less but we would rather keep plugging away for 3 years and ensure a more comfortable retirement. We do enjoy life now too. Generally, 1 overseas trip a year and a couple in the US a year. The increase in our stash will also help with any surprises along the way.

Thanks for your input. My parents are separated and have no asset. In fact, I supplement their SS income on monthly basis. My current yearly expense includes my financial support to them. DM may end up with Alzheimer. I think I am good to assume that medicaid will take care of their LTC fully?

well they will make sure they survive. but I know they didn't pay for lots of meds, so don't expect it to take care of everything. I paid for my Grandma's Alzheimers meds that weren't approved as then at least when I saw her she had some idea of who I was. They paid for certain drugs but those didn't help her.. so you may want to factor that in.. but that's LOT less expensive then trying to figure out how to pay $40-50K for a nursing home.

Back
Top Bottom