Join Early Retirement Today

One more time :)
Old 08-16-2016, 06:31 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

One more time :)

Well as it turns out I went back to w*k after ďerĒ for 6 months. When I eríd, I left that position before I was ready, but the BS bucket overflowed, so I left a few bucks on the table ~ 20k, and that kind of haunted me. Of course 20k either way doesnít make much if a difference to my FI but it nagged me. I got recruited to a sweet consultant job and have been here now for 3 Ĺ months. Iím an IT engineer so Iíve made the 20k plus and now the bs bucketís starting to fill up again.
Itís ok to change your mind about ER. I had a nice intro and enjoyed the 6 months I was out. I'm 54 now, and due to start a pension in October that will mostly meet my expenses, spouse is still wo*king and will be till spring of 2018. With this new gig I got to travel a bit which I never did for wo*k before and itís been fun but Iím getting ready to put in my papers.
I wanted to go out more gracefully this time though. Any consultants out three got any experience with that? Iím an at will worker so they can let me go at any time and I can let them go at any time as well.
Thanks-

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2016, 07:00 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttvjef View Post
Well as it turns out I went back to w*k after ďerĒ for 6 months. When I eríd, I left that position before I was ready, but the BS bucket overflowed, so I left a few bucks on the table ~ 20k, and that kind of haunted me. Of course 20k either way doesnít make much if a difference to my FI but it nagged me. I got recruited to a sweet consultant job and have been here now for 3 Ĺ months. Iím an IT engineer so Iíve made the 20k plus and now the bs bucketís starting to fill up again.
Itís ok to change your mind about ER. I had a nice intro and enjoyed the 6 months I was out. I'm 54 now, and due to start a pension in October that will mostly meet my expenses, spouse is still wo*king and will be till spring of 2018. With this new gig I got to travel a bit which I never did for wo*k before and itís been fun but Iím getting ready to put in my papers.
I wanted to go out more gracefully this time though. Any consultants out three got any experience with that? Iím an at will worker so they can let me go at any time and I can let them go at any time as well.
Thanks-
No advice to offer on the getting out a second time. I just wanted you to know that I failed at ER last year. I was and still am FI but 5 months into my ER last year I found myself busy physically but needing the mental challenge. I have been back for 10 months and I am loving it. Huge raise and great customer. Literally love 50% of the job. The other 50% isn't too bad. Padding all the accounts for most likely 2-3 years then I will try to ER again. Good luck to you.

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:39 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I retired on a decent pension 2 1/2 years ago, and have been working 2 days a week at my old salary ever since. Like you, I could be let go any time, so have made the most of the opportunity. The pitiful remainders after taxes extra salary has paid for a number of unexpected expenses (house, dental, medical).

As it happens, I enjoy what I'm doing (that's why they asked me back) and also like the current crop of "millennials" that I'm working with. If I didn't like either of those things, I would leave and probably never work again.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:43 AM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

Amethyst - sounds nice. That is a situation I would luv to get into. I too would plan to hang in there a bit longer but the environment I'm in is not friendly. It's more or less a project that's closing down in about 18 months so I'm stuck with a bunch of crotchety doomsayers.
So far looks like I made it through another day :-)