Out of the Cubicle, Into Life

Born2BRetd

Recycles dryer sheets
Hello,

I've lurked on this site since last August when I started seriously considering retiring. I took the plunge last October and it has been a positive change for me. I could have worked a little longer and stockpiled more money but I was fed up with my job and worn out with some health issues. I now get two extra hours of sleep a night and I have deep quality sleep. The extra sleep and less stress has helped me shed about 15 pounds without changing my diet. I feel a great peace at doing things when I want.

My husband will be joining me in retirement this Fall. I'm looking forward to seeing him have the same experience as me however I think he may need to find more projects or work to keep him busy. Only time will tell on that end.

Welcome aboard, Born2BRetd. Happy to hear retirement has been good you you so far. It’s been the same for most of us here, so looks like you’ll fit in perfectly. :)

Glad to hear the lurking and your diligence has paid dividends in the form of stress relief and gainful sleep! Welcome and have fun!

Congrats, and welcome! Looking forward to hearing more from you. I retired last August and think quality sleep is seriously undervalued. So are naps. :)

Congrats, and welcome! Looking forward to hearing more from you. I retired last August and think quality sleep is seriously undervalued. So are naps. :)

I love naps too. I only take short naps now or else stay up too late and end up having a poor night's sleep. The first month I retired, I slept 10 hours every night with a daily hour nap. Now I'm down to 8-9 hours of sleep.

Congratulations, and I think this is one of the best thread titles, ever.

Thanks. :)

As an introvert, spending my life in a cubicle was just horrifying. At least the cubicles were 6 feet tall and not the new wide open style. With a headset going, I was able to tune out the world (bowl dinging, food slurping - all of the auditory delights of fellow co-workers). Now I'm tuning in

I The first month I retired, I slept 10 hours every night with a daily hour nap. Now I'm down to 8-9 hours of sleep.

This is fairly normal; not everyone does that but plenty of folks do so don't feel like the Lone Ranger. In my case it lasted longer than a mere month.:) Many also report not being so relaxed since they were, say, six years old or thereabouts. You finally have all the privileges of adulthood with the minimum of responsibilities. That's a great place to be.

And welcome to the forum!

This is fairly normal; not everyone does that but plenty of folks do so don't feel like the Lone Ranger. In my case it lasted longer than a mere month.:) Many also report not being so relaxed since they were, say, six years old or thereabouts. You finally have all the privileges of adulthood with the minimum of responsibilities. That's a great place to be.

And welcome to the forum!

I'm used to feeling like the Lone Ranger, nothing new there :)

Welcome and Congrats! Glad you're finding retirement everything you wanted it to be.

Congrats on your retirement and welcome to the forums! These kinds of positive testimonials from those that have already braved the retirement waters give those of us still going through the daily grind hope and motivation to keep going. I hope you and you spouse enjoy a fulfilling and prosperous retirement.

I sure hope most have a life outside their cubicle while still working. See my tag line.

Yes, balance is important and something I have always strived for. Balanced eating, exercise, etc. However, if you have health issues and the stress of the job impacts those issues, things can and do get out of balance. In my case, I had very little energy after work and would spend the weekends regaining my strength for the coming week.

Congrats on your retirement and welcome to the forums! These kinds of positive testimonials from those that have already braved the retirement waters give those of us still going through the daily grind hope and motivation to keep going. I hope you and you spouse enjoy a fulfilling and prosperous retirement.

I am definitely enjoying retirement. Keep on keeping on and you'll be retired too :)

Back
Top Bottom