Join Early Retirement Today
Old 12-28-2010, 01:08 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by MDJO View Post
I follow my dad's advice about houses. When I asked him why we did not have a bigger house when I was a kid. He said, "Son, you can't eat your house."

Dad would be upset with my spending. But then again, I make a lot more than Dad did, thanks to him pushing me to go to college and expecting me to be successful, and I think he would be proud of what I've accomplished.

My current plan is to build the nest egg to $1.5 M over the next two years and then re-assess. I hope it will be enough for me to hang up my current spikes at age 59 and play a lot of golf. I want to do volunteer work, work on my physical fitness, and travel to visit friends and family I have not seen for many years. If I feel good about the job, I may stick it out a little longer and go for $2M.
I liked your dad's answer about the house. But, alas, in the modern times many people were 'eating' their houses so to speak and in the end many of such people are stuggling to put that roof back on their house (meaning that they're going through hell to get modications on their mortgages) or got foreclosed.

Have you decided to remain in your current position or move to your friend's co.? Just curious.

Another note. Don't wait until retirement to 'work on your physical fitness'. It's an ongoing process.

With regards to your current spending, I do think it needs some "fat trimming", but as I'm reading S.Burns & L.Kotlikoff's book "Spend till the End", it seems that you are enjoying your life now and that's good. I just began to read the book, so I cannot decide whether it's good to recommend or not. I myself don't know where I fit yet: as an oversaver or just over an edge to become one, according to the authors.

aida2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2011, 04:29 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets
Thanks Aida.

Just finished rebalancing my portfolio and resolving to trim the fat from my spending and my body.

I'm staying in my current position with a goal of getting out either in January of 2012 or 2013.

MDJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:47 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Welcome to the board!

One thing that jumped out at me from your provisional retirement expenses list that might be pretty easy to cut is the life insurance in your discretionary expenses.

If you're both retired, then neither is really dependent on the income, so it's probably not replacement income. You said your kids are FI or nearly so, so it's not for them. Your assets very probably don't exceed the estate tax exemption amounts (at least what they'll probably be like, since Congress is fiddling with those at the moment), so you probably don't have it for estate tax reasons.

The only thing I can think of that might be going on is that you bought into an annuity or whole life policy and you have a number of years to go. If that's the case, I personally would look into whether it would make sense to get out of that situation.

My 2 cents, worth what you paid for it.

"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:59 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets
Thanks 2Cor521. You read my mind - I will probably be dropping my policies this year. They are term = switched to term many years ago. Have always intended to drop them when I hit my 50's.

MDJO is offline   Reply With Quote