Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Planning for Freedom!
Old 06-24-2018, 06:37 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe
Scots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 12
Planning for Freedom!

Hello all!

New to the forum, but looking forward to interacting with you all and talking future.

My wife and I are both 32, and we’ve got 2 little girls, 3 and 1. I work full time, my wife part time from home. We’ve got a goal of being free to slow down work to doing what we want at 50, and being totally independent at 55 (though I’ll probably always be doing something).

Our information is as follows:

Net worth: approximately 400k

Pretax Income: 129k
Take home pay monthly: $7,550

House: Worth 375k, owe 225k
Cash: 32k
Liquid mutual funds: 48k
401Ks: 116k
Roth IRAs: 11k
529s: 5k
HSA: 4k
Cars: 18k and 12k
Other various things...

No debt outside the house.

I’ve currently got about $1,500 a month going straight to retirement and $300 to 529s. Beyond that, we’re still planning to bank another $1,500 -$2,000 per month that will go to savings for things like next cars, some to mutual funds, etc.

Have a sizable inheritance coming in the future (1M+), but of course I don’t want to factor that into my planning too much. We want to be able to pull 100k/year throughout our life.

Great to be here and would welcome any thoughts on our portfolio or plan!
__________________

Scots is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2018, 08:58 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 21,045
Welcome. The most important thing is that you are planning at this age. That puts you far ahead of many. Congrats.

It's hard to say if a plan can work out by age 50, but it sure isn't likely to work if you aren't trying, so that is way in your favor. You just need to keep monitoring and adapt.

Save as much as you can (offhand you seem to be doing well), but also have fun and live life and enjoy that family.

What are the investments? At your age, it makes sense to be pretty aggressive. Broad based index, no-load, low ER funds/ETFs are your best bet.

And you are wise to ignore any future inheritance. That can go 'poof' in a million different ways. Then if becomes reality, it's icing on the cake.

Oh, and I responded in another thread about that Dave guy. Get past that, he will hold you back, You are better than that.

-ERD50
__________________

ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 04:42 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Tampa
Posts: 3,602
Welcome to our wonderful forum. Sounds like you are moving along great.
Down the road a little, you should think about how you will pay for medical between 50 and 65 y.o. although in 20 yrs who knows what the healthcare system will look like.
Some balance between 401k, Roth and Taxable accounts can be helpful to have more flexibility later on.
__________________
TGIM
Dtail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 08:06 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
HNL Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,181
Welcome! Looks like you've got a good start...but looking only at retirement assets (excluding the house, 529, cars..), I calculated only $211K in retirement assets. For this forum, most of us care about net invested assets. To throw off $100K per year, at 4%, you'll need $2.5MM minimum...so, you may need to increase your income, or work longer, unless the inheritance is a surety (irrevocable trust?). Best of luck!
HNL Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:43 AM   #5
Dryer sheet wannabe
Scots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HNL Bill View Post
Welcome! Looks like you've got a good start...but looking only at retirement assets (excluding the house, 529, cars..), I calculated only $211K in retirement assets. For this forum, most of us care about net invested assets. To throw off $100K per year, at 4%, you'll need $2.5MM minimum...so, you may need to increase your income, or work longer, unless the inheritance is a surety (irrevocable trust?). Best of luck!
Thanks to you and others for your responses. Good to have some fresh input.

A couple of responses to the things you point out.

1. I don't plan to not do anything at all at 55. Just want to be able to do what I want to do. I'll have plenty of skills from my work for things like consulting at that time that I plan to always be doing as it's convenient and attractive to me. So, I plan to have at least a bit of supplemental income stream well after 55.

2. I hope to do much better than 4% over the next 23 years, and I believe this to be realistic based on market history. I'm aiming at 6-7% as a goal.

3. I plan to save more and more as income grows and the years go by. The $1,500 is my baseline, but even now it's more like $2,000 - $2,500 a month including what I'm putting into mutual funds.

4. The inheritance is not in a trust, but it's pretty much as solid as it can be without that being the case. Folks are coming up on 65 right now. Hopefully I don't see the money for a long, long time!!!

If I take the 211k, and use 6% as a number from now until 55, and use $2,250 as a monthly addition, I get approximately $2,150,000. Not quite the $2.5M you mentioned, but I'm getting into the ballpark. I also aim to increase the household income substantially between now and then, which will hopefully take that monthly contribution figure even higher.
Scots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:01 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
HNL Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scots View Post
Thanks to you and others for your responses. Good to have some fresh input.

A couple of responses to the things you point out.

1. I don't plan to not do anything at all at 55. Just want to be able to do what I want to do. I'll have plenty of skills from my work for things like consulting at that time that I plan to always be doing as it's convenient and attractive to me. So, I plan to have at least a bit of supplemental income stream well after 55.

2. I hope to do much better than 4% over the next 23 years, and I believe this to be realistic based on market history. I'm aiming at 6-7% as a goal.

3. I plan to save more and more as income grows and the years go by. The $1,500 is my baseline, but even now it's more like $2,000 - $2,500 a month including what I'm putting into mutual funds.

4. The inheritance is not in a trust, but it's pretty much as solid as it can be without that being the case. Folks are coming up on 65 right now. Hopefully I don't see the money for a long, long time!!!

If I take the 211k, and use 6% as a number from now until 55, and use $2,250 as a monthly addition, I get approximately $2,150,000. Not quite the $2.5M you mentioned, but I'm getting into the ballpark. I also aim to increase the household income substantially between now and then, which will hopefully take that monthly contribution figure even higher.
Great that you have a plan...from you initial post, it sounded like most of your extra money was being saved for cars/spending. Hope it works out for you! Sequence of returns risk will make the road bumpy, but you'll get there!
HNL Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:47 PM   #7
Dryer sheet wannabe
Scots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 12
Thanks HNL Bill. Essentially, I plan to make it the focus for the next 10-20 years to maintain modest spending as income goes up, and put the increases toward the future instead. I know it'll pay off in the years to come.
Scots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:56 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
HNL Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scots View Post
Thanks HNL Bill. Essentially, I plan to make it the focus for the next 10-20 years to maintain modest spending as income goes up, and put the increases toward the future instead. I know it'll pay off in the years to come.
20 years ago, I had about $70K in retirement accounts, and less than $10K in cash. Along the way, I lost some money ($60K) selling during 2008, made some money in real estate ($140K), and was very lucky to join a company with an employee stock ownership plan (ESOP, now worth ~$500K). I've been saving 47% of my income, while still doing some travel.
This year, I received a modest inheritance (15% of current assets). Today, I'm just north of $2MM in retirement assets, with do debt...it can be done!

One quick note...in 20 years, $100,000 will have the spending power of less than $50K in today's dollars...be sure to try to structure your investments so that the gains outpace inflation by 6% or so (need overall gains closer to 9%).
HNL Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:56 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by erd50 View Post
oh, and i responded in another thread about that dave guy. Get past that, he will hold you back, you are better than that.
-erd50
+1000000000000
__________________

brokrken is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Employer HRA or HSA when prepping for ER? Carpediem Health and Early Retirement 5 11-10-2016 06:19 PM
Hi! I am prepping to jump off the fast lane in 2016 Wheels down Hi, I am... 7 06-05-2015 05:54 AM
I'm Prepping for Another Free Meal/Seminar mickeyd FIRE and Money 20 08-12-2008 08:46 PM
Tax Freedom Day Eagle43 Other topics 3 04-24-2006 11:36 AM
Protesting against Freedom - Rally against Gay marriage............. Cut-Throat Other topics 203 03-26-2006 07:04 PM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:47 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.