Please talk me out of continuing to work!

tangomonster said:
And yup, I know the SWR would give me $160,000---but is that just for a 30 year period?  What if someone's lifespan goes to 90+?  (I sometimes wonder and even wince when I read obits of the 100+ folks.  Possibly they were able to survive through family help.  We don't have any kids or other relatives to help---it's all up to us).  Since we never earned more than $80,000 combined and saved a good chunk of that each year living below our means, it should be doable. 

FIRECalc says for a 50 yr plan $4M at a 50/50 stock/FI split w/ no SS, $126,406 (a 3.16% WD rate) had a 100% success rate. $137,832 (a 3.45% WD rate) had a 95% success rate.

With 4 mil you could drop to 3% or even 2% ( :eek:) withdrawl and still have a whole lot more than the 60K you'ld be SELLING YOUR TIME FOR.

Stick to your guns ... don't leave this decision to THEM.

Hi Tango
SInce you put it that way .I would say what I have been dying to say since I got this job.

"take this job and shove it"
Is it mature ... err yeah :D

I would start planning other fun things to do instead .

Thanks for the replies. Rich, you're absolutely right about shedding Chicken Little. It's going to take some effort after a lifetime of tormenting myself with what-ifs and worst possible scenarios. It will be so nice to live the second half (or however long I have) of my life without worying about the sky falling! Although, if you knew some of the stuff that's happened to me and DH, you would agree that we do have a black cloud hovering over us. (For example---since you're a physician, you'll understand this. DH had testicular cancer at the age of 40---on the tail end of when most people get it, then a few years later, develops atrial fib earlier than most people---and to top it off, has neurofibromatosis.)

Jdw, thanks for taking the time to run the FireCalc. That does set my mind at ease.

Even my husband, who doesn't much like bulletin boards, commented that the people on this board are so nice and supportive. Seems to be a self-selecting group who are drawn to the really good things in life that aren't trite, unnecessary material possessions. There is definitely more of a sense of humanity and joie de vivre on this board than I've encountered in the work world....

tangomonster said:
Although, if you knew some of the stuff that's happened to me and DH, you would agree that we do have a black cloud hovering over us. (For example---since you're a physician, you'll understand this. DH had testicular cancer at the age of 40---on the tail end of when most people get it, then a few years later, develops atrial fib earlier than most people---and to top it off, has neurofibromatosis.)

Loud and clear (I work in a major cancer center).

Truly, all the more reason to move to the next chapter. You appreciate the preciousness of health and life better than most, and will enjoy your independence that much more.

Make the decision that feels right, but you don't need to make it on a financial basis. Good luck.

My husband wants to ER sooner than he planned due in part to my health--not knowing how long I'll be able to travel, etc. Tango, you're doing the right thing, and I'm sure your hubby appreciates it.

=astro, hoping we can get a taxi to the Borghese Gallery since there's a transit strike in Rome today, and I'm not capable of walking that far in one fell swoop

So did we talk you out of it ?
If I had yer $$$ I would of told my bosses adios today . Came close to doing it anyway
:eek:

Back
Top Bottom