Join Early Retirement Today

Prone to Rant
Old 03-12-2011, 06:01 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Prone to Rant

Hi All,

This is actually not my first post even though it probably should have been. It would have been polite to have introduced myself before going off on a rant in another forum. Fair warning; I do love to debate (rant) social and political topics of the day. In fact, I expect that I will fill much of my retirement doing just that.

Speaking of retirement, I am hoping, planning, pretty sure to be be out of the door in one more year. I am 57 this week and my wife is a couple years younger.
We have built a pretty good nest egg, have no debts and own our home. You have probably guessed by now, correctly, that we must not have kids.

My wife will work for maybe a year past my retirement but not much more. I think we will be OK but like most of you here, I have a little trepidation. It will be a big change and I tend to worry about everything.

I have enjoyed your conversations, advice and witty repartee for several weeks and it's high time I introduced myself.
Howdy!
Aruba50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2011, 06:08 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aruba50 View Post
Hi All,

This is actually not my first post even though it probably should have been. It would have been polite to have introduced myself before going off on a rant in another forum. Fair warning; I do love to debate (rant) social and political topics of the day. In fact, I expect that I will fill much of my retirement doing just that...............
Welcome. Don't worry, ranters quickly end up on ignore lists.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:13 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Fair warning; I do love to debate (rant) social and political topics of the day.
Welcome to the forum.

Given your comment above, I wanted to be sure you saw this particular section of the Community Rules:

Quote:
Although we don't have a laundry list of inappropriate topics, discussion of subjects such as politics (unless directly related to early retirement), gun rights and abortion rarely end well. For this reason the moderation team may delete discussions of these topics as well as any other topic deemed to be inappropriate.
These rules limit political debates/ranting, and thankfully help make make this board congenial rather than confrontational.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:14 AM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

travelover: You're nickname describes one of the things I worry we will have to cut back in retirement. We also love to travel and I hope I am not being unrealistic in thinking we will be able to keep it up.

I don't much like to be on ignore lists so I will keep the "ranting" in check.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:33 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
travelover: You're nickname describes one of the things I worry we will have to cut back in retirement. We also love to travel and I hope I am not being unrealistic in thinking we will be able to keep it up...........
Travel doesn't have to be expensive. Lots of money saving ideas kicked about here.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:39 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome to the forum.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:43 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Welcome aboard, you'll fit right in here.

Sounds like you'll be in the FIRE Related Political Topics forum often, interesting discussions there sometimes. And more civilized than most outright political forum sites - thanks largely to our outstanding Moderators who we don't thank often enough.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:31 AM   #8

Welcome to the forum. Can you tell us a little more about your financials eg how will you finance your retirement? Sounds like you enjoy travel. Will this be a major expense?
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:52 AM   #9
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Welcome to the forum. Can you tell us a little more about your financials eg how will you finance your retirement? Sounds like you enjoy travel. Will this be a major expense?
Well, we have about 1.1 mil in savings probably 70/30 securities to safe investments. I will receive a company pension of about 28K (non-indexed) and my wife will receive a company pension of about 43K (non-indexed). We will both be eligible for Canada pensions of about 5k each at 60 or about 11k each if we wait to claim at 65. We will both have health benefit plans in retirement and in Canada, health coverage is never an issue in any case.
Our investments probably return about 30-40K annually.

We like to travel in Europe in particular but have many destinations in mind. I love travelling in the U.S. and have much to see there also.

I envy all of those here that have experienced that first morning when you wake up and realize that you will never have to go to work for someone else again.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:58 AM   #10
gone traveling

Quote:
witty repartee
What forum are you on, exactly? ....
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:02 AM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
What forum are you on, exactly? ....
Well...repartee...if not outright hilarious
Old 03-12-2011, 09:08 AM   #12

Sounds like a very secure retirement, congrats.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:09 AM   #13

Hello Aruba50 - welcome to the forum.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:10 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

It would never have occurred to me that opinionated persons, with younger spouses and paid-off homes, would not have kids. In fact I can think of several examples, but I don't want to start an argument

Amethyst

Quote:
Hi All,

. Fair warning; I do love to debate (rant)...

Speaking of retirement, I am hoping, planning, pretty sure to be be out of the door in one more year. I am 57 this week and my wife is a couple years younger.
We have built a pretty good nest egg, have no debts and own our home. You have probably guessed by now, correctly, that we must not have kids.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:34 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

I'm surprised someone from Canada enjoys ranting--clean air, great health care, low population--what's not to like?

Also don't see why we would have guessed you don't have children, Aruba, but you must have your reasons .
Old 03-12-2011, 12:03 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Also don't see why we would have guessed you don't have children, Aruba, but you must have your reasons .
Yes, not only would I not have guessed it, I wouldn't have even thought to guess it. It wouldn't have occurred to me, either way.

Sure, kids are an expense, but it doesn't preclude an early retirement. A higher paying job/jobs, or any number of things can certainly offset the expense. And some people have hobbies that cost more than kids. I guess one could say "You have probably guessed by now, correctly, that we must not have any expensive hobbies"?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:34 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am 57 this week and my wife is a couple years younger.
This statement is a tad confusing. Why would we guess you must not have kids? Others, including myself, had a pretty good nest egg, no debts and owned their own home at 57 and did raise a family.
Old 03-12-2011, 12:45 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
This statement is a tad confusing. Why would we guess you must not have kids? Others, including myself, had a pretty good nest egg, no debts and owned their own home at 57 and did raise a family.
But of course we in this category were fortunate to be able to lease them out at a good return.

Ha
Old 03-12-2011, 12:50 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
But of course we in this category were fortunate to be able to lease them out at a good return.

Ha
Dang it Ha, you hit the nail right on the head again! Yep, frugal living and good rates on leasing out the kids = FIRE everytime! Our secret is out now.......
Old 03-12-2011, 12:52 PM   #20
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Yes, not only would I not have guessed it, I wouldn't have even thought to guess it. It wouldn't have occurred to me, either way.

Sure, kids are an expense, but it doesn't preclude an early retirement. A higher paying job/jobs, or any number of things can certainly offset the expense. And some people have hobbies that cost more than kids. I guess one could say "You have probably guessed by now, correctly, that we must not have any expensive hobbies"?

-ERD50
I meant it as a joke only....sheeesh!