Join Early Retirement Today

Pulled the Trigger!
Old 10-31-2015, 03:45 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Pulled the Trigger!

Posted a long time ago, been building up my courage (and putting a few more sheckles away) to leave the rat race and finally did it! Walked into my boss's office this week and said "I'm done". Wasn't my plan or my timeframe. Just couldn't take it any longer. Company has been great (not all of them are evil), and they did everything they could to help.

But, IM DONE! Just so bizarre. Been working since I was literally 14 and now I am 51 and my wife is 52 and we are done. Its going to take 60-90 days to decompress, but it will feel so great going through the holidays completely free. No more email, texts, work projects, deadlines or the dreaded Christmas party. No more emergencies, crisis's or employee politics or squabbles to deal with, airports, 12 hour plane rides or looking at the phone in the middle of the night to figure out what country I was in. I finally get a holiday with no drama!

I just wanted to thank everybody on this forum for your encouragement, wisdom and support. I have been lurking reading all the posts and the back and forth and even though I didn't post much, just know you guys really helped!

I think it was Shawshank Redemption that said "either get busy living or get busy dying...." time for me to get on with living....
Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2015, 03:49 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I wish you well in your retirement endeavor and a Merry Christmas! Bet you couldn't even say Merry Christmas in the big mega Corporate world, but now you can.

I learned when I reached 26yrs that I was not made out for Corporate American. I started my own small business and never looked back.
Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 04:12 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yay! Congrats. It's a wonderful life!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
irishgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 04:18 PM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
I wish you well in your retirement endeavor and a Merry Christmas! Bet you couldn't even say Merry Christmas in the big mega Corporate world, but now you can.
You are absolutely correct about the Mega-corp world. It has gotten so incredibly PC it is ridiculous and getting worse. I have been managing and leading teams for 20+ years and the rules you have to deal with today from HR are absurd.

And yes, it is going to be great to just say Merry Christmas without hearing from HR about being insensitive or non-inclusive.

I may be getting old, but I will tell you that the workplace has dramatically changed for the worse in the last 5 years. Big discussion going on now about making the bathrooms friendly to the gender challenged or confused and allowing anybody to use the bathroom, dressing rooms and locker room (we have a gym) with the gender they identify with - not what they are equipped with, what they identify with. This could get interesting. Thank God I am out....
Old 10-31-2015, 04:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
Big discussion going on now about making the bathrooms friendly to the gender challenged or confused and allowing anybody to use the bathroom, dressing rooms and locker room (we have a gym) with the gender they identify with - not what they are equipped with, what they identify with. This could get interesting. Thank God I am out....
I've been out 13 years (county govt.) and it was getting bad then but this is a new high (or low).

I guess the PC busybodies don't have enough to bicker about.
Old 10-31-2015, 04:35 PM   #6

Quote:
You are absolutely correct about the Mega-corp world. It has gotten so incredibly PC it is ridiculous and getting worse. I have been managing and leading teams for 20+ years and the rules you have to deal with today from HR are absurd.

And yes, it is going to be great to just say Merry Christmas without hearing from HR about being insensitive or non-inclusive.

I may be getting old, but I will tell you that the workplace has dramatically changed for the worse in the last 5 years. Big discussion going on now about making the bathrooms friendly to the gender challenged or confused and allowing anybody to use the bathroom, dressing rooms and locker room (we have a gym) with the gender they identify with - not what they are equipped with, what they identify with. This could get interesting. Thank God I am out....

And companies are getting a ton of pressure to cover transgender surgery. Wells Fargo has added coverage as have a number of California based tech firms.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
irishgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 04:44 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations! It took me much longer than 60 to 90 days to decompress, but whatever it takes at least you can start now!
Old 10-31-2015, 04:51 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Wonderful news that you are onto the next capture. Any big plans?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jabbahop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 05:07 PM   #9
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbahop View Post
Wonderful news that you are onto the next capture. Any big plans?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sleep. Seriously. First priority is sound, unstressed, uninterrupted sleep.

First 60-90 days all holidays, seeing friends, hanging out, watching football and going on a couple of week long trips without a PC, cell phone or email. Heavenly.

After that - I took up painting so I am going to paint, take my wife for a trip to Italy for 3 weeks, go to the gym every day, and basically whatever the hell I want to do...

I am also big of serving, so I will probably go find a charity that I like and can have some fun with on some no stress activities.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:11 PM   #10

Congrats!!
Katiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 09:27 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats! Wish you all the happiness.
I've been self-employed in my small business for the past 21 years that I had no idea the corporate world had changed so much. Thank god I don't have to deal with HR nonsense.
Rickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 09:49 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
No more email, texts, work projects, deadlines or the dreaded Christmas party. No more emergencies, crisis's or employee politics or squabbles to deal with, airports, 12 hour plane rides or looking at the phone in the middle of the night to figure out what country I was in. I finally get a holiday with no drama!
Yep, no more dreaded Christmas party. Years ago, we just got a bad lunch, then they sent us home early... Yay!! More recently, we just got cheap buffet food and had to put in face time most of the afternoon at the "party". I knew I was done when I decided to hide most of the afternoon in my cube at w*rk, delaying my appearance as long as possible!

Even worse, the politics, drama, and long-haul flights to Pacific Rim factories...

Quote:
I think it was Shawshank Redemption that said "either get busy living or get busy dying...." time for me to get on with living....
Years ago, Shawshank Redemption also struck a chord in me. Like Andy, I dreamed of getting out. Also, like Andy it took a couple decades of pain and planning to get out. My favorite SR quote: "all it takes is time and pressure". I had enough of both to tunnel my way through to FIRE!

Congratulations Seattle on your escape!
Old 11-01-2015, 04:32 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations and perfect timing! Enjoy the holidays and sleeping in as the weather turns colder. Cheers!
Cassius King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:50 PM   #14
Dryer sheet aficionado

Congratulations Seattle!

Can completely relate to your post. The joy of being done with all of it, no phone calls, emails, long int'l flights, constant jet lag and working in an environment where government regulations have take over the business to an extaent that it is absurd. In my business there is now more time spent complying with regulations than actually doing anything that satisfies a customer. There is little personal fulfillment in an industry that has become a monotonous regiment of compliance activities that chokes off opportunities to help customers.

On the bright side- not my problem anymore hope you make the most of your freedom !
LV_Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 10:11 PM   #15
Dryer sheet aficionado

Congrats !!
Boss2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 11:02 PM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congratulations!
Don't get worried if you still stress in your sleep - it takes the brain some time to decompress and come to terms with loose ends. All the best.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:47 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations Seattle!!! We FIRED me at 51 and DW at 54 with exact same feeling of we were done in my case overdone. That was 3 years ago and do not regret at all. Enjoy!!!
Trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 04:49 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats! Keep us updated on the new "career".

This is your life....and it's ending one minute at a time.
Geld ist Freiheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 05:41 AM   #19

Bravo!