Join Early Retirement Today

Que pasa?
Old 08-04-2008, 05:25 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Que pasa?

Hello, I'm mark in Texas. I'm a money nut. I like reading the Journal, listening to Marketplace and watching the NBR. All in one day! So lately, my focus has been on retirement portfolios. Mine ain't doin too hot, I think that's the general consensus. I am very curious how others are reacting to the latest crisis.
mergeberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2008, 05:50 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome! By now you have probably roamed the different threads and you will see a mix of reactions.....seems the majority here are staying the course. Fire and Money has several discussions you might be interested in.

Now if I was just a bit handier with this silly computer stuff I would reference a couple of threads but I'm not. Someone will surely help you out though!
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:56 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Hello,

welcome to the board. My view is that reacting to the current crisis could do more harm than good in the long term, so I am just turning off the TV and staying the course. I try to only worry about the things I can control (fees, commissions, taxes, asset allocation, etc...) and let Mr. Market do its thing.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 07:27 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My attitude is ignore the chatter (I don't even have a TV) and keep piling the cash into the market. Now if I was already retired, I'd be more nervous, of course, but I subscribe to the notion of cash buckets like many of our retirees here.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 11:42 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

As I have all my income needs covered with a reasonable margin by distributions from securities, typically fluctuations in market behavior wouldn't hurt me. An extreme business or national failure could, and my own investment misjudgments could if I made enough bad choices.

Otherwise my risks are more from non-financial areas of life, somehwat similar to someone with a good pension.

Nevertheless, market distress can always make me question myself. I think it is just human nature.

Ha
Old 08-05-2008, 02:06 PM   #6
Confused about dryer sheets

Thank yall for the warm welcome
mergeberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 02:18 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

My retirement accounts are going great! I'm getting 25% more stock for my money these days than I was this time last year.
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote