Quit the world at 34 and now "broken" and refuse to go back

My apologies, for what follows is a very long response, because after reading the last posts from others it's clear that answering individual questions isn't helping. I apologize for length... but not sure how else to respond or offer any more than what I have already tried to do over the last few days. I also apologize for any typos or grammar issues, though I seem to be the only one held accountable to those and/or writing style.

I will not apologize for trying to share our story or occasionally being on the defensive here. Ive tried hard to continually take the high road, but it's clear that it wouldn't matter anyway.
So... have at it, think what you will, say and do what you will. Your mind's were made up about me/us before you finished reading the first post and there's clearly very little I can do to change them (which is A.OK by me). :greetings10:

He reading this thread as we speak..

Isn’t that the point? How else would I answer your many, many questions and concerns about my life?

Seriously though… this thing is really heating you up, eh? 
I haven’t even logged back in for almost 24hours, and you’re still ranting (I now count no less than 12 more posts in my absence, almost all intended as nothing more than personal attacks about me since I last tried to respond to your questions)!!

I’m responding here despite some sound advice from another poster to leave this thread…
but I want to make it VERY clear that i’m trying to give more details on our story for the benefit of those who wrote me on the side with interest (and some who have posted in this thread who seem genuinely interested) - not for you and a couple others who seem to only be looking to make yourselves feel better by ripping the new guy to the party because he wasn’t made aware the dress code required a tux.

All I really heard was "Look, it's easy. Anybody can do it. What are you so afraid of? Everybody should drop off the grid with us. It's so easy!”
If that’s really what you read into my words in the original post I suggest you take a step back, because you were going to read that into any possible set of words written by me or anyone else.

Ive never suggesting that any of this is easy… this **** is as hard as it gets! 
In case I haven’t repeated it enough times in this thread already - I’m not even suggesting that everyone quit their job and live in a van… that’s not much easier, but for us was a means to an end.
Im simply trying to use our story to show that you don’t have to have all the pieces lined up and tidy before you go…

Especially those who (like we were) are not happily going to work for someone else every day, it is actually possible to leave the workplace early and figure some details out after you go with hard work and creativity.
I wish someone would have been there to tell me… so I’m putting it out there in hopes it helps someone else who needs it. Now or later.

You post an intro saying come on in the waters fine, don't be afraid or be like everyone else it's working for us, but then no real meat on the bones. When people ask followup questions, you don't really answer and act like they are dissing you.

Of course I left out some ‘holes” in the story…we’re talking about 7 years of ours lives and it’s a long, long story. If you look back, you’ll see when someone asked how we fund ourselves I told them.
Passive income from real estate and other projects/side hustles.

Mostly, it was hard work and some creativity - The only thing different between us and most of you is that we chose to do some of the hard work before leaving the jobs and some of it after - once we realized we had no desire to go back. We felt “broken” because we had tasted the other side - and liked the taste of freedom very much.

SO, If you have more questions, ask them… but please try to do so nicely and without labels and name calling. Okay?

Our passive income is mostly single families and duplexes in Portland.
Mostly things we bought when we had an income and while we took advantage of the banks’ willingness to give away money with very little down before the banking crisis, we luckily were too risk adverse (at the time) to take any bad loans, balloon payments or hard money.
They have been slowly doing what real estate does… growing slightly year by year while someone else is kind enough to pay off our mortgages and give us some writeoffs.

The way I always looked at it, you should invest in something you know and can impact… if a stock I buy starts to sink I cant go sit at the boardroom, but I can certainly add another bath to house. I also happen to love the fact that I can invest a small percentage while the bank and my tenants invest the rest for me as long as im willing to wait.

Our side hustles started as passions projects helping others to try to accomplish some of the freedom that we had - working with neighbors to convert their garage into a rentable space, or better yet a space for them to downsize into as the kids flew the nest and rent out the main house (win-win for their personal freedom). At some point DW pointed out that if I’m willing to be up all night designing their spaces for free…maybe we accept some of their offer to give us a bit of money in return. Helps them and helps us. Seemed fair.
I’d hardly call it employment… but the income from time to time as we decide to take an exciting project on certainly doesn’t hurt… and besides, I enjoy the projects and finally have a chance to use my design skills/training doing one of my biggest passions while helping others in the process. And I get to check off other goals that I had given up on, like getting a design project built, getting published, etc.
Could side hustle1 be an actual design firm with several employees and making much a lot of money? Oh yes! but that’s not of interest to us because we’d be - WORKING.

Here's a conversation,7 years ago you talked about not having money to pay bills, living in your van, and used the term "dire need". 

Correct. 
As I have described to you in this thread already, that is where we were 7 years ago. This is now. Isn’t the whole point of this RE thing to change your financial status over time?? 

That period of dire need was after two years of living off our limited travel savings and returning to portland to realize we had to pay rent or mortgage because someone else was living on our house (and at the time, we didn’t even have our van back from central america yet). And before you ask “didn’t you know that?” Yes, we understand how rent works… but we actually weren’t planning to stay in portland, we simply came back because we missed our friends/family and wanted to soak them up for a bit before continuing our travels. 
Plans change and so we adapt… that’s part of the whole point of what this thread was intended to be.

Yes, that first project came out of pure NEED and we spent the rest of our money (and lots of blood, sweat and tears) to make it a reality. But “dire need” status changed quickly because that project not only created passive income for us and allowed us to continue traveling full time, but also created the side hustle mentioned above.

Now you've mentioned adding to your RE holdings.1) where did that money come from, did you earn it? Take it from your 401? With no regular income it seems you would need to pay cash, yet you talk about still having payments. So you make payments, hire a pro manager for rentals, pay taxes and insurance and have enough left over to live in a 500K boat? And this all happened in around 6 years...

Yes!
Any other questions? =)

Okay fine, I know, I know…you just have to have all the details…
Again, a LOT can happen in 6 years if you work at it.
We managed the properties when we were in portland and working. We handed them over to a manager (also a friend who was trying to grow their business) when we left to travel and it was probably the smartest move we ever made. Happy to elaborate if anyone’s interested.

Yes, we also took the money out of DW’s 401k to fund another renovation (that also split a single family into 2 units). The extra passive income now and the added value to the property long term made it worth us taking the hit. (yes, in our opinion - the only one that matters to our plan/decisions. Its okay if you don’t approve, you don’t have to tell me…).

We also worked on a couple other projects in between travel to add value to properties. No, not really work, just projects we did in between friend/family outings and other adventures as we had the time and money needed.

Last year we also sold a property that was out of state that had turned out to be a bad investment for us, but that transaction still gave us cash in hand to do an exchange for new properties closer to home.

Somewhere along the lines (last year) we started a second side hustle related to our van. 
Not because we planned to, but because dear friends approached us looking for a way out of their jobs and all it required (in theory) was us teaching them what we knew and then to continue doing what we were already doing - marketing our build by traveling and answering questions about our van and our lifestyle when people asked. We wanted to help them, and in theory it was an offer we couldn’t refuse.

Sadly, those business partners/business plans didn’t pan out and the business almost went down in flames because they backed out at the worst possible time (despite having immense good press and people begging to place orders), but we weren’t willing to let something that had our name/brand on it fail and had no interest in calling people to tell them we couldn’t come through with our promises. So… we went home and spent a few months working our asses off again to meet commitments that had already been made. Obviously, that then came with some money as projects were delivered (even after buying out our friends/partners at a much better rate than we probably should have under the circumstances).

In terms of the boat purchase, we also had other real estate projects/improvements planned for last year and had refinanced a property trying to make sure those plans are/were possible. After the work on side hustle2 mentioned above we were burnt out and had no interest in the work those projects would require… so between the money we’d been saving over a few years of collecting passive income with almost zero expenses + the money made from sales at side hustle2 + the money we already had in hand from the refi (oh, + money from selling our van/rolling home)… we decided to chase a lifelong dream and moved onto a boat.

Best financial decision ever? I’m certain not - but as you should be figuring out by now we don’t make our decisions based on money, we make them based on happiness, and making a lifelong dream happen while you’re young enough to truly enjoy it seems to fit that bill.

You’ll see earlier in the post that we don’t think of the boat as an investment (and never will), but we literally sat down and had a conversation that sounded roughly like
“Honey, if we knew going in that we were going to lose X thousand dollars a year (X being a very large number here) to live on a boat in the Caribbean living out our dream, would you do it?? Yes, absolutely! And so we went… and here we are.

That’s it (still in somewhat of a nutshell and im sure with some details left out, and im sure some questions unanswered, but not from my lack of trying or typing over the last two days).

So… sorry to let you down, but there’s no magic ***** pocus, no trust fund account, no you tube revenue (sounds great actually, but we both HATE being in front of the camera) and no blog earnings (also sounds great, but i’ve turned down paid ads and posts since day one because it simply doesn’t seem ethical to me). IF it matters, we’ve also been offered TV shows and other opportunities that some people might strive for. They aren’t for us and we turn them all down… because while it might have been an easy way out and good money ands/or fame, that’s not what were after (and theres that camera thing again). Happiness. Remember…thats the goal. Thats the only goal.

I just think you need to be more upfront with the non-linear work path and continued work that you do to support your plan.

Upfront??
If the issue is that you didn’t understand I was willing to take on projects or rip out walls to make our properties more valuable, or that I was willing to add risk by buying more properties along the way, or willing to form an LLC when it was made clear that others wanted to pay me for work I was already doing for free… that’s clearly not something I withheld.

THAT, actually IS the exact thing im referring to when I continue to say it is possible to leave the workplace early and creatively figure some of the details out after leaving the job. 

If you somehow thought I was suggesting that everyone quit, move into a van and pick four leaf clovers hoping for their previous investments to double on their own in 7yrs with no work involved… than my writing style really is as bad as both you and Amethyst suggested a few posts ago!

I just had a funny thought. What if OP felt "broken" by the workplace, because his writing style was continually misunderstood and people were never sure what he meant?

Perhaps, but he's need to hire a seriously good editor, so he's not misunderstood.

To be clear, because apparently this story is only valid if there’s ample risk involved, or some high wire act is performed…

Your original post made it sound much more dangerous, tenuous, and financially risky than it appears to have actually been.
It also made it sound like you had completely abandoned work, but based on your web site, special projects, and rentals, it appears that you have simply redefined your work. You may find that many on this forum object to people calling themselves FIRE, when they're still doing 'side gigs' to support themselves.

I just think you need to be more upfront with the non-linear work path and continued work that you do to support your plan.

When we left to go travel every single one of our properties was still in the negative. We had to add funds to the rent check every month to make each and every mortgage payment. When we decided on a number needed to travel it included to amount we knew we had to supplant our mortgage payments with.
It’s because of the projects we’ve done since that these properties now pay us. It’s still not a huge amount of passive income, but that’s why we live “somewhat” frugally… if you can call sailing the caribbean on a catamaran frugal.

If the question is about our “side gigs” and how much time I spend on them vs how much money I make on them… all you had to do was ask (nicely)…

It is also still a moving target, which is part of why I haven’t described it further already… and maybe because in a financial forum there a bit of questionable judgement in terms of turning down money and I think we all know i’m already on the defensive in this thread… but since im outlining all the details, here goes.

I haven’t taken a paid project from side hustle1 for over almost 2 years (and as stated earlier, had no plan to start a business or make money). As you saw above we were beyond busy… and we’ve been waiting on the right project and client to make it attractive/worth our time. I still spend hours every week responding to emails and taking phone calls from those who are looking for help… but that’s what we jokingly call my “pro bono” work…trying to help others better their lives even though I know I wont take them on as a client (or make any money off them). Maybe not what you’d advise financially, but I enjoy the conversations and get to spend my time how I want, especially now that I have plenty of it.

The second side hustle remains to be seen and is in constant flux… when we decided to leave I asked friends if they would be interested in running the company so that they could leave the job they hate (I know this is a touchy point for you and a few others… so to be clear - this is not me jumping to an assumption that “all people hate their jobs” this is me talking about those i’m closest to who do happen to hate their jobs but feel stuck because they have small children and/or other obstacles that made them afraid to take a leap. Their words, not mine).

In our minds we could offer them the intellectual property, whatever stock we had already built, and simply turn the backlog of requests over to them as an immediate income stream to give them the confidence to leave the 9-5 (or make it a side hustle if they preferred)… and we didn’t have to see a business we were passionate about shut its doors just because we were walking away from it.

Yes, we were essentially giving a way a business that probably could have been sold at that point for good money… but we don’t make decisions that way, remember?

We offered it to several friends, but they weren’t in a place to jump. 
Finally as we were leaving town someone was interested, but they have very little money and/or time to put towards it, so we scaled plans way back to match their available effort, and I offered to continue taking calls/making sales and doing design work for them without taking money. 
Why??… Because I love doing it and I love them.

Do I also hope the business continues to grow without me there so that it might eventually become another stream of passive income for us - of course I do… but not enough that I was willing to stay around for it, or willing to work a lot of hours from the road to make it happen now. But if I can help free friends from their hectic lives so they have more time to travel and spend with us… that’s a no brainer.

In terms of our rentals… are you really trying to accuse me of not being FIRE because I deposit a check from properties purchased??
Isn’t that like saying someone isn’t FIRE for taking a dispersement for their 401k…

Balance… to us it’s all about balance.
Happiness first, money after. And so far that mantra has been treating us okay.

Ill check back in after some time away… based on the last 24 hours it will be just as condescending and malicious as ive come to expect… but hopefully these details do actually help someone out there… and if that person is reading this please feel free to reach out. We are actually trying to help and happy to do so.

To everyone else, I hope all your various paths lead to happiness, whatever that is for you.

Last edited:
Thank you for the responses. Because your first (mega post) did not clearly lay our your alternative lifestyle and choices (and income streams and multiple projects and timeline), and the title is immensely misleading (although catchy, you didn't actually 'quit the [w$rk] world), many of us misunderstood your current situation, as well as the path you took to get there. If you're remodeling rentals, and own rentals, there's work associated with them, unless you hire a property manager who hires the contractors and do all of the work.

If you had read and followed the suggestions on the "Hi, I am", "Read this before you introduce yourself" sticky, your responses would likely have been much more supportive and encouraging from the beginning! This forum is largely predicated on the basis of the FIRE calculator, and most here do the opposite of what you're promoting. They try to ensure that they can safely retire before taking the plunge. Your path wasn't about quitting work altogether...after 34, you continued to grow your income streams and evaluate potential opportunities! Kudos for your effort and it's great that your path paid off for you!

Last edited:
Many people in our area are self employed. Boat living is not the norm but also not all that unusual where we live. We have a friend who lives on a boat.

Techies fed up with high rents turn to boats on San Francisco Bay.
https://abc7news.com/realestate/techies-fed-up-with-high-rents-turn-to-boats-on-sf-bay/1037445/
"..many young techies are grabbing their motion sickness pills and jumping on a sailboat."

The guy who originally started this forum - Dory36 - lived aboard a boat for many years.

"We managed the properties when we were in portland and working. We handed them over to a manager (also a friend who was trying to grow their business) when we left to travel and it was probably the smartest move we ever made. Happy to elaborate if anyone’s interested."

I am! How much do you compensate your friend-manager? I would like to compare with the costs we incurred to hire professional property management when we were unable to directly manage the rental ourselves. We always had to hand over a minimum of two month's rent per year (one month's rent for a tenant finding fee, one month's rent for management fees). That just destroys profits from rent; plus we were paying professional prices for every big and little repair/painting between tenants. And the property manager charged another month's rent (or two months for a 2-year lease) if the tenant renewed!

DW and I did that in our early 30s when I got full scholarships in the UK and Denmark for my Masters and PhD (all for around 5 years) .. we backpacked around Europe, and also did Asia occasionally. Sure I had to study and do research, but it was fun. We've been traveling ever since every summer, but being a faculty allows me to have longer vacations during summer.

I'm FIREd now but had a job that had me living overseas with a new country every other year or so, so think I was fortunate to have a job with variety and lots of travel. I love the 'move onto a sailboat and learn to sail' idea though! Have been considering it for a while but I'm worried it takes more mechanical savvy and physical strength than I have. How have you found it? Has it been easy to figure it all out? Been at sea during any storms yet?

Has it been easy to figure it all out? Been at sea during any storms yet?

I've been on other people's sailboats, in a variety of conditions, and one thing I learned......if something happens, (mainly in bad weather), and you can't react instantaneously...you don't have time to learn.

I gave up any dream of owning a boat when I realized that.

To the OP; Oh my goodness, thanks for the long response and details, but the new details, albeit interesting, are hardly a story that would encourage anyone to abandon a career and jump into the deep end of the pool without a plan. Sorry[emoji849].

Your former career as an architect is clearly the basis of your skill set for your side gigs, which it seems could be much more than a side gig. After looking at your web page it's obvious you are not only talented but have an entrpreneurial spirit.

Your Facebook pictures are idyllic; not anything I could do indefinitely, but I suspect you won't be doing it indefinitely either.

It's very easy to tell people to quit their jobs. If they've saved a decent amount of money, in most cases they'll be fine. And if they aren't, it'll probably be a few years before they figure it out, and it's no skin off your nose anyway. So you might as well be a hero and green light them, right?

I tend not to reply to the "Can I retire" threads that often because I usually don't feel like taking the effort to run the numbers, and I don't want the responsibility of giving them bad advice. If I do give advice, I take them at their word at their budget, that they don't want to work at all anymore, and so on, and advise accordingly. It's not for me to tell them to slash their expenses by living in a van, or to quit but plan on taking on some other kind of work. If that makes me an old whatever namecalling a few have used here, that's their problem, not mine. Now, if someone says "I gotta get out of this job, it's ruining my life/marriage/whatever", those kind of options seem very reasonable.

I am *NOT* knocking this at all. In fact, I applaud those who are comfortable doing that. It is new "frontier" of self-employment. Figuring out how to live and support oneself contentedly in that manner. I could not deal with. The security of a regular, large paycheck was my weakness. It takes a lot of effort to essentially "brand" oneself to generate revenue. That is one reason I worked long enough so that once retired, I did not need any side gigs at all.

+1

I'm not naturally an entrepreneur, unlike my old man. I greatly respect the hustle and self promotion required, though. Just not me. In fact, I went into a tech and engineering career because I greatly enjoyed the technical w*rk itself, but I wanted to avoid the interpersonal drama often associated with the sales, business, and people management side. Oh, I was so naive!! :(

Despite my "best" effort, I rose high enough in the food chain so that everything became politcal BS and self promotion. Frankly, the interesting tech was offshored and it wasn't fun anymore, so DW and I FIRE'd. :LOL:

Now we just do what we want, with whomever we want. All very passive income. No side gig, hustle, consulting. Just tired and retired. Five year in and it gets better every day!

Plus we are too old and tired to hustle. :)

One after one, they stopped when it became too much work and they got tired of writing or had nothing exciting to tell. And that was just casual posting, while Youtube videos need some work in order to stay interesting and keep viewers.

Many stopped their blog when they got tired of being a nomad and settled down to a house again. A few have kept goin' and goin', but man, that's rare.

+1 Our hustiling days are done too. Long ago then need hustle took the fun out of otherwise enjoyable w*rk. So we stopped hustling and greatly enjoy the more relaxed pace.

Oh, seems like survivor bias is operating among the bloggers. I doubt there are many successful blogs talking about failing FIRE.

OP, I admit when I read your first post I rolled my eyes and more or less thought to myself "who does this guy think he is coming into this forum telling everyone he's 'figured out life'."

I applaud your willingness to stick with this thread despite some of the feedback you've gotten. I also appreciate the post above and the details you've provided on how you've gotten to where you are today.

Your lifestyle isn't for me, but I am very appreciative of the choices you've made and risks you've taken. You've given me something to think about.

I guess what I am trying to say is, despite my initial skepticism you've won me over and caused me to think about some things in my own life. Thank you for that. I am glad you've found the best path for you.

As a numbers kind of person, among other questions, I'm still curious what kind of health insurance plan the OP has and what the premiums and out of pocket max are. Health insurance costs and the often huge deductibles in the U.S. are one of the big obstacles many U.S. posters here have to plan for in order to retire early. We manage our taxable income to have ACA subsidies these days but still have something along the lines of a $14K out of pocket max exposure each year with our Bronze plan. I'm curious how the "It’s still not a huge amount of passive income" reconciles with retiring early and having health care expenses covered.

Last edited:
I’d guess the couple living on the catamaran isn’t scraping by.

Kids bring a different perspective. They require good education, not just life experiences. Many people aren’t well versed in science, math, history, and English. Especially as you move towards middle school and high school. As an engineer doing technical work - I can’t be confident I recall all the details of calculus. Many people know home schooled kids and are aware of their average social skills (especially with peers).

If I didn’t have a kids, I’d be fine in a 1 bedroom apartment without feeling like I’m downsizing. You will probably get many opposing views due to many people here having kids. Meeting a family who has kids does not provide context.

100%

I think it's a great story and appreciate the encouragement for those who haven't hit 100% firecalc results, yet feel their lives are slipping away. Congratulations on living your dream OP.

I am very satisfied with all OP has posted, not that my opinion is important. His posts have been hugely interesting and entertaining. I hope the natural tendency to be skeptical has not chased him away.

We are all swimming upstream after all. FIRE is not the norm as our friends, former co-workers and family members at times make clear. Surely we need not all swim in the same way.

As a numbers kind of person, among other questions, I'm still curious what kind of health insurance plan the OP has and what the premiums and out of pocket max are. Health insurance costs and the often huge deductibles in the U.S. are one of the big obstacles many U.S. posters here have to plan for in order to retire early. We manage our taxable income to have ACA subsidies these days but still have something along the lines of a $14K out of pocket max exposure each year with our Bronze plan. I'm curious how the "It’s still not a huge amount of passive income" reconciles with retiring early and having health care expenses covered.

IIRC last time I checked about $150/month premium ($5 million lifetime cap, $2000 deductible) for a 50 year old for "outside the U.S. & Canada" coverage from one of the companies specializing in expat health insurance.

If I really needed to stretch my money I'd move down to Mexico & buy into their national health plan (excludes some pre-existing conditions, but I have none) as catastrophic insurance for under $500/year.

Last edited:
Congrats OP, your latest post is longer than anything I remember Nords posting when he was active!

Interesting life story, appreciate you sharing it.

4 Hour Work Week

Interesting thread. I like the reference to FISE vs FIRE.

Having had a background with the community, it wasn't surprising for me to see those on the more pure FIRE side of things having questions.

I recall reading Tim Ferris' book 4HWW and being impressed at his ability to hustle, but I didn't like the feeling it left me with... because I realized I wasn't "that guy". He worked both sides: living cheap and making money without investing too much time. Sounds a lot like bry. Or maybe "too much time" isn't right here...more too much doing things not enjoyable. Purists certainly can say "it's work", but if it comes naturally and it's fun and no aspect even seems like work, I understand why it might not be featured prominently.

Wow, this thread blew up from when I started reading it on the first page, got distracted, and then went to 10 pages!

One thing that caught my eye was mentioning not waiting until a certain number to retire. By that, I'm assuming the OP means a specific amount of wealth required for retirement, that differs from person to person. Wow! I couldn't be comfortable without knowing I definitely had enough and reached 'my number.' Not knowing for sure that once I will be set and the possibility of maybe going back to work after I retire is just too much for me.

But good for you OP if you're happy.

Very interesting to learn about your approach to finding the freedom to live your life the way that makes you happy.

It's a much riskier approach than many would take, but of course everyone has a different risk tolerance.

I find your story fascinating and after browsing (and thoroughly enjoying!) your blog, I believe your intent to help inspire others to follow their dreams is genuine. You two are a very likeable couple! :greetings10:

I do think it would be helpful to more clearly acknowledge the risk associated with your approach when encouraging others to take a similar leap. IMO your initial post focused more on the freedom and excitement that comes from throwing caution to the wind and following your dreams.

There's risk on both sides of the equation: risk of running out of money vs. risk of running out of time. Everyone weighs those risks differently depending on what is most important to them.

We would have loved to have retired earlier and lived an adventurous life like yours at a younger age, but our need for security was higher. We certainly have had a lot of adventures and plan to have many more, though - we hope! Time is not guaranteed for any of us and the scale has tipped to where we now feel enough security to take the leap by the end of this year. :D

Kudos to you for being able to take a greater risk and having it pay off!

Wishing you continued retirement bliss!

One thing that caught my eye was mentioning not waiting until a certain number to retire. By that, I'm assuming the OP means a specific amount of wealth required for retirement, that differs from person to person. Wow! I couldn't be comfortable without knowing I definitely had enough and reached 'my number.' Not knowing for sure that once I will be set and the possibility of maybe going back to work after I retire is just too much for me.
Folks often use a target date, rather than a set amount of savings, if what they are doing is changing their line of work and/or where they live. For actual retirement, identifying and using a set amount of savings/investments may make more sense.

Last edited:
Folks often use a target date, rather than a set amount of savings, if what they are doing is changing their line of work and/or where they live. For actual retirement, identifying and using a set amount of savings/investments may make more sense.
A target date is also very common for anyone on a pension. 30 years can be golden, but 29 years and 330 days not nearly good enough. Totally worth it to work one more month. Some pensions can be shorter too, like military, police, fire fighters, etc.

I guess in my opinion they are not FIRE'd, just free lance workers. To me that is not being "retired" but still being in the work force. They just aren't working for megacorp anymore. The story then is not all that interesting to me. It's not a "look at me I'm FIRE'd and traveling the world story". BS, they are traveling a lot but still working and hustling a great deal. So no RE.

Last edited:
IIRC last time I checked about $150/month premium ($5 million lifetime cap, $2000 deductible) for a 50 year old for "outside the U.S. & Canada" coverage from one of the companies specializing in expat health insurance.

If I really needed to stretch my money I'd move down to Mexico & buy into their national health plan (excludes some pre-existing conditions, but I have none) as catastrophic insurance for under $500/year.

I'm too lazy to back 10 pages, but if I remember right, the OP said they were paying a lot for health insurance like everybody else. When one of our adult kids was low income, working part-time and going to school, they paid almost nothing, even in deductibles, for an ACA plan. So I'm curious to hear from the OP what kind of health insurance plan he has. I don't understand the small passive income, not seeming to work on the side hustles lately (maybe I got that part wrong since it was a long post) and still paying a lot for health insurance. Just curious what they are doing since affordable health insurance has been a thorny issue for us without DH's employer group insurance. Even with the ACA we have to watch our taxable income very close each year because of the cliff. One dollar too much and we lose $25K in subsidies.

Back
Top Bottom