Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Reached FI in July and haven't looked back
Old 01-20-2018, 06:52 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Reached FI in July and haven't looked back

Greetings - long-time lurker and now active member of the site.

In July, 2017 at 56 years old and after 34 years of MegaCorp IT consulting work, I hit my FI target and turned in my resignation. The job had lost any appeal for me and the last 10 years were especially rough - cross country travel every week. I still remember how shocked my boss and coworkers were when I told them I was retiring. They never saw it coming and couldn't believe someone my age could retire.

DW was very concerned about my ability to settle into retirement without being bored and/or driving her crazy, but it's worked out wonderfully so far. We've taken a few trips and are both avid golfers. Plus, I've been able to catch up on the house projects that were stacking up due to years on the road.

I'm a Dave Ramsey fan and have lived for several years with minimal/no debt. We've always been LBYM people and have passed this value on to our 5 kids (one still at home, graduating high school this year).

This forum has been a huge help over the past 1.5 - 2 years in giving me both the knowledge and the courage to put together and execute a FIRE plan. Firecalc, I-ORP, FRP and VPW have been my tools of support and I discovered all of them from this site.

At this point, I may go back to work on a part-time/consulting basis in the future, but I'm confident I don't have to for financial reasons and can do so on my terms if I choose. DW is still working for a few more years on a part-time basis.

Again, thanks to this group for all of the knowledge and support. What a great source of knowledge this forum is.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2018, 07:39 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congratulations!!
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:00 AM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado

Love your story! Welcome.
ab620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks for sharing!
Old 01-20-2018, 08:26 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks for sharing!

Loved to read your story as well. Planning to FIRE this year in December, unless I get RIF'd before that...
WestUniversity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:44 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats!
Yarnstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 12:00 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats wdberry62. I had a similar story to yours. Though it has only been a couple of months for me, the water is just fine!!

I will second that the advice and wisdom of others here on this board helped me realize that I could pull the plug sooner rather than later.
eastnortheast is offline   Reply With Quote