Join Early Retirement Today

Ready to FIRE at 52
Old 04-11-2016, 04:16 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Ready to FIRE at 52

As long as it has taken to get to this point, it seems to have crept up fast these past few years. I have less than one year left before I pull the plug on a 28 year career. My DW has a couple more years before she can do the same. We have saved very hard these past decade in a half and worked to pay off everything we could. House will be paid off before she retires, and we will have two DB pensions along with the mixture of 403B, 457df, and 401k's.

My first part time job will be that I get to babysit my grandson, never looked forward to any job more in my life. This has been a long journey that has been carefully calculated thru pages of Excel spread sheets I created to track every imaginable scenario to make sure we can do this and actually do it better than we are living today.

When I say that, let me quickly explain, we will not be living with 100% of our gross income in retirement, but we will be living on 130% of our net income in retirement. Truly it is the net income once everything is paid that really counts, how much is left over when everything is paid each month so we can travel and be as active as we plan going forward. I look forward to utilizing this site often for tips and tricks and continuing education going forward!! Take care everyone!!
Johnora is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2016, 04:42 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome--and Good Work (and planning)!

Much of your story rings bells for me--many years of planning, mad-type savings in the last decade or so after kids flew the nest, and anticipated better standard of living in retirement while not coming near the same Gross Income. Plus, definitely creeping up faster as we get closer to it. (No DBs, but that goes to career choices that DW and I don't regret)

Here's to the next year going by fast!
Old 04-11-2016, 11:54 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you like spreadsheets and saving money I think you have come to the right forum. Welcome.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 12:52 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Well said John

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Terryjm51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 05:51 AM   #5

Welcome. Your story sounds great, and very close to my own as well.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:59 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

The frustrations

For the last ten years I have tried to help co-workers get ready and understand the difference between saving for retirement and actually planning for it. So many do not want to spend the time to really develop a plan and three of my co-workers are actually having to continue working because they have now hit the mark and are not ready, didn't plan well, and didn't forecast their needs. No early retirement for them.
Luckily the few I was able to work with and get started in taking charge of their retirement planning are on track. I just wish a great emphasis was putting on the planning side. Once we made a plan and lived within it, well it has made life so much easier and on track for travel and grandkids at an age where I can still teach him how to throw a curve ball.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:04 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnora View Post
...and grandkids at an age where I can still teach him how to throw a curve ball.
Please don't do it before he's old enough not to injure himself:

Should curveballs be banned in Little League Baseball? - CNN.com
Old 04-18-2016, 09:15 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Good point, that is how my oldest son broke his glasses and my youngest missed one and took one in the kisser. Maybe we will start with a slider....
Old 04-18-2016, 09:57 AM   #9

Good for you, hope you have fun and enjoy the time not working! It sounds like you have planned well and now time to reap the benefits of those plans.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
A little update...
Old 08-02-2016, 08:40 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

A little update...

So August 1st, I submitted my retirement notice and plan to have my last day of work as December 22nd, 2016. with lots of vacation time on the books I'll be hitting the pension March 1st, 2017.

Lots of great thoughts and advice on these boards and I soak up as much of it as I can, but with the opportunity to retire now and maintain my current way of living at 100% net, just no good reason to stay in the rat race. My DW will have 3 more years in before she can FIRE but even then she will only be 56 and have plans.....
Old 08-02-2016, 11:23 AM   #11

Congratulations, Johnora! You'll have a nice long glide slope to get ready for your last day. Hope all goes well and keep us posted!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:46 AM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

wow congrats! you picked a great place to retire!
Old 08-03-2016, 12:26 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi,

I retired at 59 and I am now 64. The only shock I got was medical insurance . This being our last year before I go on medicare, the bill for wife and I hit 23k/year....for soso coverage...before obama care I had it down around 8k with high deductible.