Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-08-2016, 07:43 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis65 View Post

On my first day after work ended, Friday the 29th, a neighbour wished me a "great weekend" as he got off the elevator. I waited until the doors closed, then I laughed, and I laughed....
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2016, 11:31 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sonufagun, that's terrible. I had a coworker with 2 kids in a span of 3 years and she took 2 maternity leaves, and left our workload with delays and delays, no temp to fill in. I understand that situation. I did what needed to be done while she was gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coveredbridge View Post
I work in a small community bank, with over 30 years experience in the business. Regulations spawned by the financial crisis in '08 are strangling our industry, driving a lot of small banks out of business. We recently acquired one such bank and reassigned all of their back office people to "revenue generating positions", leaving me with double work in the back office and no extra help. Then my top assistant (one of two total, we are also a small shop) informs me she is having a baby, so that will be 8 - 12 weeks or more of maternity leave running shorthanded with double work, unless HR finds a temporary fill-in, which isn't going well so far. When I was younger, I thrived on this kind of challenge, but now I feel like I'm just too old to endure this level of stress everyday, especially when I'm looking to get out in a few years anyway. CEO's attitude is "you'll just have to work a little harder". My attitude is why would I kill myself so you can IPO yourself a golden parachute when you're ready to retire long after I'm gone?
Old 05-08-2016, 11:39 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I suppose that was a Maniacal Diabolic Insane Laugh out Load like the Devil about to escape like a bat out of Hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis65 View Post
On my first day after work ended, Friday the 29th, a neighbour wished me a "great weekend" as he got off the elevator. I waited until the doors closed, then I laughed, and I laughed....
Old 05-09-2016, 05:02 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I don't think you're cutting it close at all. $75k spending - wife's $40k takehome = $35k, $35k/$1.4m = 2.5%... very modest.

And it won't change a lot after she retires and I presume that you have SS coming later on.

If you have Quicken, put you plan in the Lifetime Planner and do a what-if as if you retired now rather than later... I'm guessing that the difference between the two lines will be modest... and that is the price of happiness.
I ran the lifetime planner on msmoney, as you suggested. I showed DW the difference between the two lines (about 100k) at age 90 and told her that's what they call the "price of happiness". She got a chuckle out of that. We both agreed that whatever is left at that point the nursing home will wind up getting anyway, so what's the difference if it's 200k or 300k. I think her comfort level has improved.
coveredbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:32 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I am no retirement expert, as I'm pretty new to this. Mildly interesting - I am typing this at the very time I should be leaving for work, had my last day not been last Friday.

Anyway... on getting your wife comfortable - try making a list of things that you will accomplish when you retire. I did that during my planning, and then showed my wife the list. She was very excited about the list, and even added some things to it. I wouldn't have said she was really against my retirement, but I think she felt much more comfortable knowing that I had a plan, that it included more than me just doing things I like, and that some of the long-standing honey-dos around the house were going to be addressed.

Good luck!
Racer X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:40 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I ran the lifetime planner on msmoney, as you suggested. I showed DW the difference between the two lines (about 100k) at age 90 and told her that's what they call the "price of happiness". She got a chuckle out of that. We both agreed that whatever is left at that point the nursing home will wind up getting anyway, so what's the difference if it's 200k or 300k. I think her comfort level has improved.
I'm glad it worked out. When is your last day?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:13 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Am I missing something huge?

I'm fairly new here but is there even a hint of a "need" to work another day, given his numbers?

Of course as a fellow trout fisherman I'm anxious to find the answer and apply to my own ER ...
AboutThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:17 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I already told her I would be her "domestic goddess". Cooking, cleaning, housework would be a welcome change for me. I'm kind of a neat freak anyway and would welcome the opportunity to show what I could do around the house if I had the time. Also, I think my many years of teasing her about her having Summers off has instilled a little latent guilt in her. I know, I should be ashamed.

So, I do think wife's hesitancy is financial. She has always relied on me to manage the finances and says she's fine as long as we can maintain the lifestyle, not that there's that much of a lifestyle to maintain. Still, it's hard to get her to understand that there are no guarantees in that regard...too many variables no matter how well you plan.

As for cutting it close, I would add that many years of LBYM has resulted in a low maintenance lifestyle. I am quite content with a simple life. I have no interest in expensive toys or exotic vacations. Puttering around the house (about 20 acres to maintain), doing a little fishing (several world class trout streams within an hour's drive), playing a little golf (lifetime membership at the local club already paid for), and enjoying simple pleasures is about all I aspire to right now. I also currently serve on some local government committees and believe I could expand my commitment to public service in the community if I felt the need to contribute more to society.

Ah, the "simple pleasures" of golf and trout fishing, the two most challenging, life-sustaining, and glorious of all pursuits.

Not sure where you live, but if it helps make your decision I plan to be catching all the trout from Monday-Friday while you're at work.
AboutThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 02:47 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

I say go for it.

If you want to make a little money in a side hustle maybe that's a good solution but doesn't sound like it's really needed unless that interests you.
Fishingmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:52 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I'm glad it worked out. When is your last day?
I'm just going to play it cool for now and see what develops. Just knowing that I can pick the day has relieved a lot of the stress. If I get up one day and decide I'd rather just not do this anymore, I'll give my two weeks notice. Until then, I'll just work on my schedule at my pace until someone objects. I left early on Friday to get 18 in with DW, and I'm doing the same tomorrow for my 55th birthday. If there's a nice day this summer and I decide I want to do that, I'm going to until someone tells me I can't. That's when I'll know when my last day is. If I make it until 1/1/17, I get another year's 401k contribution and 5 1/2 weeks vacation pay. If not, so be it.

Was talking with an acquaintance the other day about the merger and mentioned how I was thinking about taking the rest of my life off. He said "well, you can't do that, not with three kids in college". I just nodded and smiled.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:46 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Was talking with an acquaintance the other day about the merger and mentioned how I was thinking about taking the rest of my life off. He said "well, you can't do that, not with three kids in college". I just nodded and smiled.[/QUOTE]

The acquaintance is now in rehab following quintuple bypass just after Memorial Day. Not even 65 yrs old.

Really rethinking whether I even want to try to stick this out until 2017.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:49 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Also, my brother just died on May 24th at age 58. Heart attack. Was a diabetic who never was able to get it under control. Really makes you think about what's important.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:32 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm just going to play it cool for now and see what develops. Just knowing that I can pick the day has relieved a lot of the stress. If I get up one day and decide I'd rather just not do this anymore, I'll give my two weeks notice. Until then, I'll just work on my schedule at my pace until someone objects. I left early on Friday to get 18 in with DW, and I'm doing the same tomorrow for my 55th birthday. If there's a nice day this summer and I decide I want to do that, I'm going to until someone tells me I can't. That's when I'll know when my last day is. If I make it until 1/1/17, I get another year's 401k contribution and 5 1/2 weeks vacation pay. If not, so be it.

Was talking with an acquaintance the other day about the merger and mentioned how I was thinking about taking the rest of my life off. He said "well, you can't do that, not with three kids in college". I just nodded and smiled.
That's the spirit! Condolences on the loss of your brother.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 11:10 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Also, my brother just died on May 24th at age 58. Heart attack. Was a diabetic who never was able to get it under control. Really makes you think about what's important.

Sorry for your loss. My brother passed in his 50's and yes, it does make you think about what's important. I retired 9 years ago in my early 50's, no regrets what so ever. Hard to believe I've been retired that long.