Join Early Retirement Today

Ready to retire and be a expat!
Old 02-13-2014, 05:17 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Ready to retire and be a expat!

Hi everybody I'm 58 already semi retired. A little background, grew up a military brat spent most of my early years in the Philippines and Okinawa. So I have no roots. Spent 9 years in the navy. Divorced with 2 sons in early 30's. So nothing to tie me down. Now for the money part and if I have enough. 200k in Vanguard LifeStrategy Moderate Growth Fund in a IRA, 180k in Vanguard Tax Managed Balanced Fund in a after tax acount. 60k in a Ally savings Also recieving $550 a month in an inherited term annuitiy til I'm 65 1/2. SS at 62 @$1580 or $2190 at 67. Will start recieving a small pension of $300 mth at 65. Just spent a month visiting a couple of friends in the Philippines and had a great time, Plan on spending 4 months later this year before I make a final decision on moving to the Philippines. Plan on living expenses of $2500 a month, which is more than what I spend now and its cheaper in the philippines. I do plan on flying back once a year to Portland Or. to visit my sons. So do I have enough
alaska55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2014, 05:21 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaska55 View Post
So do I have enough
Depends.

See this: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ire-69999.html
Old 02-13-2014, 08:34 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

REWahoo

With answers like that (depends) why do you hangout. At 58 being single I think I know my expenses, my parents have both passed on, my sons are in there thirties and both make more than I ever did already( I think i mentioned that).
I said i would allow $2500 for total expenses. I have 380K in Vanguard accounts,$60k in cash plus a inherited Annuities of $550 a month til 65 1/2. I gave my SS payout at 62 and 66. I said i plan on relocating to the Philippines as a non citizen I can't buy. Rent with everything is less than $500 a month. Don't need a car. But will leave my payed for 2012 Focus at one of my sons house. After one year in the philippines if I'm still happy I will sell my paid for house for @$120k. I ran my numbers thru ORP and it says 36K for 25 years with a 95 sucess rate.

PS I raised my sons by myself since they were 5 and 7 year and payed for half there state school so believe me when I say I know to how to budget!
Old 02-14-2014, 04:18 AM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
REWahoo

With answers like that (depends) why do you hangout.
Whether you have enough is a highly individual question. It really does depend on your own unique life circumstances. The list of questions REWahoo pointed you to was designed simply to get people thinking about certain key issues. It is not a criticism of your budgeting abilities or anything else about your plan. Just food for thought.

I'd like to think you were rude unintentionally. I hope it doesn't continue.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:49 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hi Alaska,
First of all thank you for your service to the country. I took a stab at running your numbers through Firecalc and get a success rate of 100%. Of course I had to guess at some variables, so I suggest you run your own numbers. (The Firecalc link is at the bottom of the page).
Old 02-14-2014, 06:57 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Gumby

No I was not being rude. I was reading a quote right off his profile page.
Sorry if it sounded it that way.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:24 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Gumby

No I was not being rude. I was reading a quote right off his profile page.
Sorry if it sounded it that way.
Thanks for apologizing, though perhaps the apology should go to REWahoo instead of Gumby. It sure sounded extremely rude to me as well. Perhaps, as Gumby suggested, it was unintentional and if so then it might be a good idea to self-edit your posts to a greater extent and think about them before posting.

REWahoo has contributed a lot to this forum over the years, perhaps more than anyone, and it was a little shocking to read what seemed to be a very rude statement from a relative newbie, for no apparent reason whatsoever after REWahoo had tried to help you. I know I am not inclined to make any attempts to help you after reading that.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:59 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It sounds like you have enough for the Philippines or even one of the cheaper areas of the good old USA. I wouldn't plan on months of First Class world travel.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:00 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

One of the challenges of forums and email is that it can often lead to misinterpretation.

I'm not defending anyone (I actually found alaska's remark rude) but I think that without intonation and a certain context it is easy to be offended or take things the wrong way.

Seeing "Moderator Emeritus" (and 31K posts) would make me think twice about asking why one hangs out here but...that's just me.

So...maybe a mulligan (Not Mulligan) for alaska?
Old 02-14-2014, 10:10 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

The first four questions at the link REWahoo kindly provided have to do with expenses. Like many of us (okay, me), the OP is focusing on what income he expects and knows almost to the penny what that will be--I did that too preretirement. The expected expenses are a vague $2500 a month in the Philippines, more than he spends now.

Since he did after all ask for comments, mine are: what are those expenses going to be--does he have an estimated ballpark budget for monthly rent, food, health care, entertainment, transportation, etc., etc.? Emergencies? What if the Philippines doesn't work out for some reason--what are the expenses for plan B?
Old 02-14-2014, 10:21 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I wasn't going to bring it up but i throught his answer was bit condescending. I don't have alot of posts But i have read alot including the subject matter that he refer to. I had of enough of this forum. You can delete this thread and I won't return to this forum. BYE
Old 02-16-2014, 01:45 PM   #12
gone traveling

Alaska55 - don't run away. There are a lot of know it alls on forums these days and they get their panties in a wad dealing with people who may be slightly different than themselves. Then go on and on about apologies and such. Wah cry babies.

I read the initial reply to your post as condescending too. Like dialing into help line and getting the blasted call center .... Push 1 for english. Some times non robotic human interaction is what we want, Not a snarky remark with a link attached.

Also keep in mind that many posters here have likely not lived abroad so really don't have much more to say than sending you a link.... They are just ignorant on the topic so remain quiet.

To answer your question. You did a good job outlining the basics. Take it for what it is. Free advice. Ha ha ha also remember there are some old people on the list too and they get cranky from time to time.

Anyway, maybe i can help as I lived in philippines for many years. It's been a while but I would like to learn more about where you plan to live and lifestyle because costs do vary widely. Also the base costs there do differ from usa in any areas - cost of housing. Medical insurance etc. also you may find a girlfriend over there and the money goes a lot quicker when that happens - cultural strings attached - that cost picture is where I see men struggle. Gotta stay out of the bars. Gotta stay strictly to a budget and sounds like you did that raising your kids. Super

I think you may be low on the income side right now for the first 5-7 years. and will need to spend down your nest egg til social security kicks in. Also costs are rising in SE Asia - the impact of China's economy on her neighbors is significant and a mega trend for the next 3 or 4 decades I am certain. So. What are some plan b and c if costs exceed income. Live in province vs big city ? Etc etc. how's you health ? That determines a lot too...

It can be a nice life but not for everyone. !! Let's hear more.
papadad111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:54 PM   #13
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by racy View Post
Hi Alaska,
First of all thank you for your service to the country. I took a stab at running your numbers through Firecalc and get a success rate of 100%. Of course I had to guess at some variables, so I suggest you run your own numbers. (The Firecalc link is at the bottom of the page).
Can you point me to the retirement calculator you are referring to? I didnt see it at the bottom of the page and I would like to take a look and make sure im on the right track!
firsttimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:02 PM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimer View Post
Can you point me to the retirement calculator you are referring to? I didnt see it at the bottom of the page and I would like to take a look and make sure im on the right track!
Right here FIRECalc: A different kind of retirement calculator
Old 02-22-2014, 07:34 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I wasn't going to bring it up but i throught his answer was bit condescending. I don't have alot of posts But i have read alot including the subject matter that he refer to. I had of enough of this forum. You can delete this thread and I won't return to this forum. BYE
BYE to you too. Have a nice life.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:46 PM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This thread was helpful to me. I have read Gumby's "Some Important...I Retire" thread several times before, but this time I printed it out . This time around I will be more diligent in answering those 12 questions.
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:54 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Most of us, including me, who have joined this forum lurked here for quite a while before deciding to become a member. Maybe you didn't have the opportunity to do that and experience the culture here. Most forums seem to consist mostly of put downs and name calling, yahoo for example, so it might be natural to assume that this forum would be like that. It is not.

Alaska55, calm down. Many of the people here, especially the long timers and moderators have a tremendous wealth of practical knowledge of what FI and ER are really like. The level of experience and respect here continues to amaze me. Take a deep breath and return, you were not treated disrespectfully.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:04 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
If you have a thin skin or are hypersensitive, stay away from the internet.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:21 AM   #19
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
BYE to you too. Have a nice life.
Come on now. Are we adults on this forum? I bet few would dare behave like this in real life.
Letj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:25 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letj View Post
Come on now. Are we adults on this forum? I bet few would dare behave like this in real life.

I repeated the greeting the OP had used and supported his decision to leave. Quid pro quo.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote