Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-01-2009, 08:47 AM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Lawdy, lawdy we should all hang our heads in shame. Not.

There is a not unreasonable presumption on the part of most regulars here that new posters introduce themselves and prove that they are interested in debate (rather than trolling, spamming, etc.) Before they get taken seriously. There are reasons for this: azanon, h0cu$, and many others. So new posters looking to stir the pot would be well advised to make introductions before they start p!ssing in everyone's cornflakes.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2009, 08:49 AM   #102
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brogan007 View Post
This in no way is a negative comment on folks who are content to live on a modest ( insert your figure here) income that is probably below the radar ( it'll have to be pretty damned modest) of the tax hawks.
What would you say to our forum members who are retired and living a relatively luxurious lifestyle? Many of us do, and many do not find that their lifetyle is seriously threatened by our present tax structure. After all, our planning for retirement took taxes into account from the start.

Or did you simply not bother to read the forum for a while before posting for the first time in such an inflammatory way as to come off like a troll to so many seasoned, experienced forum members?

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:58 AM   #103
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Just to make my thoughts clear.
I've nothing to sell. I'm not a troll. I don't spam.
What I do enjoy is debate, the exchange of views.
Like the movie said...We ( USA) really do live in an advanced democracy...where we must listen to others who have views that are directly opposed to our own.
So what? There is no "right". It is our obligation to question.
Many have lost the ability or willingness to debate. Just look at the so-called townhall meetings recently on healthcare reform.
Ouch.
My whole purpose for posting was to initiate an exchange of views. I originate in Europe, where folks sit in pubs/cafes & discuss things.
Things like religeon, politics, abortion, sex.
Lordy lordy...in this country, from what I've experienced, that creates a stunned silence in the room.
I really miss open debate in the US. Here, it seems, if one questions the "system" one gets labled as a loony real quick. ( no offence to our Northern buds!)
I QUESTION the future of the US economic model. I QUESTION who is going to provide the $$$$$ that Joe will need to live on in his later years. Coz sure as hell, Joe doesn't have it in his account today.
I question why I, me, Brogan should have to see my hard earned cash go to support all the tens of millions of Joe's. I'm just wanting a debate on the concept...to see what others think AND WHAT WE/I CAN DO ABOUT IT.
This is what forums are for no?
I'm not a loony.
The press, the govt, this forum, EVERYONE....never really fess's up to this 800lb gorilla. I see a train wreck coming.
Retirement is a personal thing. Not a one-size-fits-all. I do get it.
But....for those of us who are lucky enough to live an above average life-style & have built up an above average portfolio...it is sickening ( my personal feelings only ) to realise that I'm going to be singled out even more in the next 30 yrs to support Joe.
When I question that the system sucks....it's an opinion.
I'm shocked at the forum mods being so closed minded to my alternate opinion, or maybe I missed the small print at sign-up re. all "Black Hats" stay out.
My thoughts re. exiting the "Matrix"...not illegal. There's a whole world out there...places where there's no income tax.....yes, really.
Why flame me for pointing out a fact?
Overall, I'm one of the fortunate few. I HAVE a choice.
I'm mad as hell & I'm considering not taking it anymore.
This in no way is a negative comment on folks who are content to live on a modest ( insert your figure here) income that is probably below the radar ( it'll have to be pretty damned modest) of the tax hawks.

My 25c.
Brogan.
PS : a great quote...." Democracy is 2 wolves & a lamb discussing what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb disputing the vote"
( I don't own a gun, before the rocks start flying)
Brogan,
I don't understand. Since you originate in Europe, why are you worried about who will pay for people in the US who haven't saved enough for retirement? Are you a US citizen planning on staying overseas? Becoming an expat is one way not to pay for Joe-in-the-US, but mightn't you just end up paying for someone in your new country of residence instead?
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:03 AM   #104
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
What would you say to our forum members who are retired and living a relatively luxurious lifestyle? Many of us do, and many do not find that their lifetyle is seriously threatened by our present tax structure. After all, our planning for retirement took taxes into account from the start.
Hey - I resemble that remark!!! ...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:08 AM   #105

Quote:
Just to make my thoughts clear...
I think this is the reason you have seen such adverse reaction to your comments, they have not been all that clear. Thank you for taking the time to clarify them.
Quote:
I QUESTION the future of the US economic model. I QUESTION who is going to provide the $$$$$ that Joe will need to live on in his later years. Coz sure as hell, Joe doesn't have it in his account today.
Some people have been asking the same questions and predicting the end of capitalism/society (take your pick) since the New Deal was enacted.
That is not to dismiss the question, it is a wonderful question. However, assuming that the worse possible result is the only possible result is not valid in many peoples minds.
Quote:
I question why I, me, Brogan should have to see my hard earned cash go to support all the tens of millions of Joe's. I'm just wanting a debate on the concept...to see what others think AND WHAT WE/I CAN DO ABOUT IT.
Let me respond with a question of my own. Why should I have to see my hard earned cash go to support the tens of millions of Joe Jrs in public schools?
The reason I ask is the answer to your question depends on if you feel society should support it's own individuals AT ALL.

Quote:
Retirement is a personal thing. Not a one-size-fits-all. I do get it.
Excellent, so you admit that it is and will still be possible for people who plan to be able to retire? Your subject title was rather... absolute. With no room for possibility.

Quote:
I'm shocked at the forum mods being so closed minded to my alternate opinion, or maybe I missed the small print at sign-up re. all "Black Hats" stay out.
It isn't the opinion, it is the delivery. You use lots of terms but never were very clear about what you actually meant. This is easy to deal with in a face to face conversation. But when posting on a forum it is more important to be clear the first time. Your next comment was a great example.
Quote:
My thoughts re. exiting the "Matrix"...not illegal. There's a whole world out there...places where there's no income tax.....yes, really.
Why flame me for pointing out a fact?
First, you stated exiting the Matrix, not move to another country. From the movie, the term seems to imply 'going underground' and brings up images of illegal activity (illegal from the standpoint of the establishment). If you had been more clear, people may not have believed you were suggesting avoiding taxes illegally.
Second, it wasn't a flame, it was a comment that a person made indicating they don't like a plan that involves illegal activitiy. Which your 'exit the Matrix' comment without additional clarification seemed to imply.

Quote:
Overall, I'm one of the fortunate few. I HAVE a choice.
I'm mad as hell & I'm considering not taking it anymore.
Total aside from the post, but I am just curious, did you vote in the last couple of elections for your representatives in congress and the senate?
Old 12-01-2009, 09:12 AM   #106
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
Brogan,
Becoming an expat is one way not to pay for Joe-in-the-US, but mightn't you just end up paying for someone in your new country of residence instead?
Not necessarily: A One-Way Ticket to Mars
Old 12-01-2009, 09:31 AM   #107
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Wow, you guys must all be Americans to be so closed minded.
Debate is an essential tool in a democracy....pity you guys don't seem to undersatnd it.
Brogan has not participated in the banter since this last comment (attached) on Sunday evening? It would appear that although Brogan threw the first pitch/introduction to this organization - the last comment came across as no longer willing to continue to play ball with this group.

Reading all prior responses to Brogan b/4 my first post ever with this organization - and those following it - am I correct that no one ever referred Brogan to source information on this website for further assistance with his questions/post? Being new to the site myself - I have to admit I stumble along trying to find information here.

I am surprised at how quickly some assumed the worst of Brogan's post. Pretty hard to get someone let their guard down and open up when they feel even the hint of being attacked - especially when you open yourself up to immediate feedback when communicating with an online community. During my career of been there, done that, stepped in enough of it - I have learned how difficult it is to effectively communicate (and not to appear to have stepped in it again).
fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:35 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritz View Post
Brogan has not participated in the banter since this last comment (attached) on Sunday evening?
Fritz, looks like you missed his post an hour or so ago: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tml#post879799
Old 12-01-2009, 09:39 AM   #109
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Just to make my thoughts clear.
I've nothing to sell. I'm not a troll. I don't spam.
Don't worry about it. This is simply the way this forum works. My first dozen or so post were met with the same accusations... regardless of whichever subject I responded to. It never made sense to me (still doesn't) but I survived it somewhat unscathed and scarless. They'll eventually (someday) let you join.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:41 AM   #110
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
... So new posters looking to stir the pot would be well advised to make introductions before they start p!ssing in everyone's cornflakes.
That’s pretty funny, Brewer. The cornflakes are sitting on the counter waiting for my whim to put them in a bowl with blueberries and banana. OP, that is one of the joys of early retirement, I can eat breakfast anytime I want and not have to worry about concealing that fact at w*rk, or gulping it down on too-short breaks.

Okay, I’m not really CuppaJoe, I’m AverageJo who never had an impressive job or big income but I did learn about investing in the market while still in my 20s. I, too, feel that I live a very luxurious lifestyle now, in the central part of a large city/metro area, spending my days taking advantage of the many activities available. If I log off suddenly, it’ll be because UPS delivered my new flat screen TV. Setting up electronic equipment at home has become my new j*b, albeit temporary.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:43 AM   #111

Apologize, I was a little slow in responding - I started this reply before those others appeared (got interrupted).

Appears the comments still apply :-)
fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:43 AM   #112

Quote:
Yet you appear to still be a member of the forum with full privileges to post and state your opinions.

No one has done anything other than what you've done - state their opinion. Surely you did not expect to post here and have everyone agree with you. That wouldn't be a debate, would it?
Old 12-01-2009, 09:45 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Don't worry about it. This is simply the way this forum works. My first dozen or so post were met with the same accusations... regardless of whichever subject I responded to. It never made sense to me (still doesn't) but I survived it somewhat unscathed and scarless. They'll eventually (someday) let you join.
That "lack of introducing yourself" thing often comes back to bite...
Old 12-01-2009, 10:13 AM   #114
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
\Becoming an expat is one way not to pay for Joe-in-the-US, but mightn't you just end up paying for someone in your new country of residence instead?
Exactly. The US is hardly the only country where one half of the population has been/is/will be supported by the other half. If Brogan is European, he must understand that. So taxes have to be levied one way or the other. Yes some countries do not have an income tax. But it does not mean that you will be paying lower taxes at all. They might get you with the VAT, property taxes or fees.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:14 AM   #115
Give me a forum ...

looking back it looks like the first responses were direct answers to Brogan with specific instructions on how to achieve a (safe as anything in life) retirement. He hasn't yet said just where he plans to go off Matrix. No problems if he just wants to rant, but I'm not seeing anything other than rant. Maybe admit its a rant up front though - my personal demons involve worry about China owning the US and health care costs - can't do much in the large about those, but can try to deal within the system to my personal benefit and protection. So Brogan - where ya gonna go? Belize? Thailand? Philippines? Wilds of Idaho? Do you have any solutions or are you just ranting?
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:28 AM   #116

Trust me, Calmloki, we in the Wilds of Idaho also pay our taxes and plan for retirement. We just whine about the "Gubbermint" while we do it.
Keim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:31 AM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
That "lack of introducing yourself" thing often comes back to bite...
I have no regrets.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:01 AM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Trust me, Calmloki, we in the Wilds of Idaho also pay our taxes and plan for retirement. We just whine about the "Gubbermint" while we do it.
Good on ya - my neighbor across the street had an ongoing battle with the IRS for over 15 years - he lost his house, but said he figured he made out, saving more in unpaid taxes than he lost in home equity. He was pretty upfront about it with the government - sent in "I don't have to pay because income is defined in blabla decision as the money money makes" and such like. He had great fun fighting with them - not my idea of a good time. Oregon has its own complement of outback tax protesters - my brother is surrounded by them down in the Myrtle Creek/Glide area. Not my intent to foist Brogan off on you!
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:02 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
Exactly. The US is hardly the only country where one half of the population has been/is/will be supported by the other half. If Brogan is European, he must understand that. So taxes have to be levied one way or the other. Yes some countries do not have an income tax. But it does not mean that you will be paying lower taxes at all. They might get you with the VAT, property taxes or fees.
Yes, yes, yes. The age old question of what the haves owe to the have nots. As if the have's
did it all by themselves totally and even if that were true does anyone think that the have nots will just sit benignly by in awe of the have's accomplishments accepting that they have less through their own lack of planning and effort and thus deserve their fate?

I don't think so. In fact I know they won't because they never have in the past. Think the French Revolution, the Russian Revolution to name two.
IMO the have nots in this country have directed their anger in the wrong direction. Lucky for the haves. That could change. Not so lucky for the haves. In the end the root of the have not's anger is the same as it has been through out history, a crappy quality of life and a lack of opportunity and advancement.
Now to my mind if I have to spread the wealth a bit to keep things steady then I'm cool with that. You can pay now or pay later but your gonna pay either way.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:20 PM   #120
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattusbabe View Post
IMO the have nots in this country have directed their anger in the wrong direction. Lucky for the haves. That could change. Not so lucky for the haves. In the end the root of the have not's anger is the same as it has been through out history, a crappy quality of life and a lack of opportunity and advancement.
If you said a crappy quality of life "relative to the haves" above, I might agree, but in comparing this to the Russian Revolution or the French Revolution, I dare say the average French peasant in 1789 or average Russian peasant in 1917 would have killed for the quality of life many of today's "have nots" experience currently.

Am I saying that means it's all fine and good? Of course not -- but perspective is in order here. The fact is that as society overall gets more prosperous, we have a tendency to redefine what a minimally acceptable standard of living is. Fifty years ago, it didn't include a TV and 20 years ago, it didn't include a computer. And IMO, comparing today's poor with the peasants before the French and Russian revolutions is an extreme stretch of the imagination except in that their perception can become their reality, particularly with the right people fanning the flames of discontent.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote