Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-25-2016, 11:32 AM   #21
Confused about dryer sheets

Welcome from a fellow Bay Stater Bobw235.. Coming up on 3 years of a Metrowest ER and loving every minute of it!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2016, 11:45 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobw235 View Post
Thanks! We love the Fall weather here, but winters just are getting to be too much and without a garage it's a pain when it snows.
We love our area and its proximity to Boston and Providence (25 minutes) and Cape Cod (1 hour) so we purchased a new townhouse 5 years ago with a 2 car garage. Snow removal and yard work is handled by the association.

Old 07-25-2016, 01:52 PM   #23

Welcome from just North of Boston...at least for the summer months!

This is a great forum to learn and contribute. I've been here since my ER in 2005, first as a lurker and then officially.

As we know, politics in Mass is a serious contact sport, but even a hint of a political comment here will get you a 'time out', which is a most, most welcome difference from anywhere else!

As was mentioned, feel free to share a bit of your history and ask any FIRE related questions...really good people here.
Enjoy!
Old 07-25-2016, 01:56 PM   #24
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Welcome from just North of Boston...at least for the summer months!

This is a great forum to learn and contribute. I've been here since my ER in 2005, first as a lurker and then officially.

As we know, politics in Mass is a serious contact sport, but even a hint of a political comment here will get you a 'time out', which is a most, most welcome difference from anywhere else!

As was mentioned, feel free to share a bit of your history and ask any FIRE related questions...really good people here.
Enjoy!
Thanks Marko. I get enough of the political "discussions" on another forum and frankly welcome the lack of such subjects here. I'm looking forward to learning and making some new friends as I explore this new chapter in my life.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:58 PM   #25
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massears View Post
Welcome from a fellow Bay Stater Bobw235.. Coming up on 3 years of a Metrowest ER and loving every minute of it!
Thanks for the welcome Massears. Been up here in Lowell for 33 years now. Looking forward to exploring retirement and learning from this community.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:00 PM   #26
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
We love our area and its proximity to Boston and Providence (25 minutes) and Cape Cod (1 hour) so we purchased a new townhouse 5 years ago with a 2 car garage. Snow removal and yard work is handled by the association.
I've often wondered about moving south of Boston down towards the Plymouth area, and definitely getting into a townhouse. I can still do the snow shoveling, but the older I get the harder it is. Some back issues.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:17 PM   #27
gone traveling

Hello from somewhere next to Minuteman Bike Path
Old 07-25-2016, 03:16 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I've often wondered about moving south of Boston down towards the Plymouth area, and definitely getting into a townhouse. I can still do the snow shoveling, but the older I get the harder it is. Some back issues.
Welcome I live South of Boston on the "South Shore"
Old 07-25-2016, 05:00 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

I was born & raised in the Berkshires, college in Boston & grad school in Waltham. I assumed I would move back to MA (or, at least the northeast) after a postdoc stint at Berkeley, but then I met the love of my life and we decided to put down roots in CA.

We still go back to western MA from time to time to visit my family, and, especially if we're there in the fall, we start thinking "gee maybe we should move here." And then winter rolls in.

Welcome to the forum!
Old 07-25-2016, 05:27 PM   #30

We went to Boston last Oct for the first time and loved it. It was pretty and had so much to do. We live in the West coming for jobs but semi-retired now and loving the very mild 4 seasons. I have lived in Wi and upstate NY so know what real winters are like. Welcome! This is a nice group of people. Much more civil then some of the other forums I have been on.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:31 PM   #31

Welcome aboard - this forum is great fun.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:36 PM   #32

Hi Bob! Ain't it great not working -
Old 07-25-2016, 07:55 PM   #33
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Hi Bob! Ain't it great not working -
It's nice not working, but now the challenge is finding things to keep myself busy day in and day out. Now looking for some volunteer opportunities. Still it's great to have each day to myself. Spending lots of time working on planting areas around my house. Planning a trip in September.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:22 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livefree View Post
Welcome I live South of Boston on the "South Shore"
Me too - very close to the Marshfield-Scituate line.

For the original poster: if you ever move to Maryland you'll have a lot of company at Camden Yards (I'm assuming you're a Sox fan) if you go to see them play the O's.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:34 PM   #35
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
Me too - very close to the Marshfield-Scituate line.

For the original poster: if you ever move to Maryland you'll have a lot of company at Camden Yards (I'm assuming you're a Sox fan) if you go to see them play the O's.
Actually a Yankees fan. Grew up in New Jersey and never stopped rooting for the Yanks (though the past several years have been difficult!)
Old 07-26-2016, 06:11 AM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Actually a Yankees fan. Grew up in New Jersey and never stopped rooting for the Yanks (though the past several years have been difficult!)

Oh well. Welcome anyway. I guess. 😬

O
Old 07-26-2016, 07:34 AM   #37
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
Oh well. Welcome anyway. I guess. 😬

O
But....I'm a diehard Pats fan, cheer for the Celtics and Bruins. Just never could like the Sox despite being here for so many years.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:39 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Interesting concentration of Massachusettsians (like me) in this thread. Makes me wonder, has the geographic distribution of membership been detailed somewhere? Oh, and welcome!

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near. Let it roll, baby, roll!" - The Doors
Old 07-26-2016, 11:10 AM   #39

Quote:
But....I'm a diehard Pats fan
Well, you won't get too many friends here for being a Pats fan. We've had numerous lively discussions with haters in the past and the few of us can hold our own but we won't go there at least until the season starts.
Old 07-26-2016, 01:34 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree-dweller View Post
Interesting concentration of Massachusettsians (like me) in this thread.
Yeah, I'm a bit surprised myself. I knew that ETA2020 was local but not so many others.