Join Early Retirement Today

RE'd Today
Old 10-12-2005, 07:45 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

RE'd Today

Well, I waited them out and I was given my walkin' papers today. My reward for not quitting on my own was two weeks of vacation pay, being paid through the week and being able to file for unemployment. Right now, I would trade that for being able to quit on my own terms, but hopefully that emotion will rapidly drain away.

What a strange feeling not having to deal with all the work related stress and having all this time to live ahead of me. Definately mixed emotions at this point. Exhilarated with my new freedom yet uneasy about the future.

Tomorrow I can sleep in, take a nice long run with the dog, hit the health club, follow the market, hit some golf balls... all the things that I never had time for. I already built a list of things I plan to do, places to visit and people to see. So many things to do and finally the time to do them.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: RE'd Today
Old 10-12-2005, 07:50 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congrats, DB. The detox process will take up to six months, and then you'll never think about working again.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 05:16 AM   #3

Sorry you couldn't do it on your own terms DB but ..you're outta there and have a whole new chapter of your life before you. Good luck, I can't wait to join you.

Cj

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 05:55 AM   #4

Yes, if you are like most of us a whole new world of possibilities
will open up. When I quit, in the back of my mind I had a last
gasp fallback plan of going back to work. Now the concept
is unthinkable. I can do anything I really want to, I just can't do everything. Hope your ER is the same.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 07:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
I can do anything I really want to, I just can't do everything.*JG
Great quote. When I was young & broke or sometimes for folks like after Katrina there are not a lot of choices. But somewhere choices start being real and then the hard part starts. I can't do everything but I can do something. What do I *really* want to do?

May your life be (at least) half full!
Old 10-13-2005, 11:14 AM   #6
Dryer sheet wannabe

Welcome to the Club.* I also had strange feelings for the first few months after retiring.* In fact, for several months I used to wake up around 3:00 AM and couldn't go back to sleep.* I was one of those people who woke up every day before my alarm went off around 6:00 AM to get ready for work.* It was like my internal clock was all messed up once I didn't need to work.* I would also wake up many times with work situations on my mind.

I'm happy to say that after close to two years now in retirement I rarely think about work anymore and my internal clock has reset to an hour later to get the kids off to school.* There are still many things I still can't seem to find the time to get to - improving my golf game, doing more biking/hiking, etc.* I'm sure like everyone else here you will have plenty of new things to do to occupy your day.

GOOD LUCK
VeryEarlyRetiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 01:22 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats DogBark! My DH is officially retiring next week. He has been so happy the past few weeks and the stress is starting to drain away day by day.. Have fun -- life is short (I know it is a cliche remark, but so true!)
Old 10-13-2005, 04:24 PM   #8

Congratulations! I would rather have the benefits that you are getting, rather than being able to quit. I have a practical nature that I find hard to turn off. I hope you really enjoy your retirement!

Dreamer
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 02:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsBark
. . . .* Right now, I would trade that for being able to quit on my own terms, but hopefully that emotion will rapidly drain away. . . .
A good negotiator doesn't insist on everything, just the most important things. You got the most important things -- your freedom and the money.

Good luck.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote