Reintroduction - Announced Retirement

Beryl

Recycles dryer sheets
Hello all.
I stepped away from this forum during 2008 but returned because I announced early retirement this month. My peers don't understand how I can leave so early. It is not complicated. I am 100% debt free (including my home) and have no financial reason to continue working in my corporate job.

1. I didn't lose much from the economic downturn in 2008 because I moved most of my 401K investments into Stable Funds early in the year.
2. I moved into a larger but lower priced house and after renting my previous home for 2 years, I sold it -- in only 10 days. The proceeds from that home more than paid for my current home.
3. My pension covers less than 30% of my salary but covers almost 100% of my expenses.

My announced retirement is on 1/2011 so I have 4 months to finish planning my new life. My employer asked me if I'd return as a SubK -- not a chance for at least 6 months after I exit. After almost 30 years, most of it as a manager laying off employees as jobs were off-shored, I'm not anxious to return. I currently have a lot of rewarding volunteer community work but I'm thinking about taking on a part-time position teaching/tutoring/consulting. It is nice to be able to CHOOSE to work for pay over NEEDING to work for pay.

I'm absolutely giddy with anticipation. There are still many options and things that I'm considering.
- new job or starting a business
- leave the USA
- long-term health care issues
- foster care/adoption

Congratulations indeed! Do keep posting what options you will go for. I am in my first month of retirement and I have no thoughts about work at all.

Yes, congratulations! Start now by forgetting any obligation to be "busy".

Big Congrats & re-welcome to the Forum!:greetings10:
Hello all.
I'm absolutely giddy with anticipation. There are still many options and things that I'm considering.
- new job or starting a business
- leave the USA
- long-term health care issues
- foster care/adoption
Sounds like FIRE has many options for you to Explore. Keep us updated! :flowers:

Congratulations!

If you do decide to start a new business just make sure it doesn't involve having employees as the resulting stress will ruin your ER. Which brings up the question, can you start a new business and still be ER?

Thanks so much for the warm welcome back. I'm very thankful for the ability and desire to RE as so many of my colleagues are planning to work until they are at least in their 60s. Some say they can't afford it and others don't know what to do with their free time.

Yay. Today is my first day retired! I don't have to suck up to anyone at XYZ Corporation again. If they act crazy about my pension, I'll sue 'em and get more.

It is so cool to be young, debt-free, jobless, and not even needing a job -- for the first time in my life.

56. I wanted to retire 5 years ago but wasn't quite there yet. Still relatively young, IMO.

Congratulations!

I predict you are really going to enjoy retirement.

56. I wanted to retire 5 years ago but wasn't quite there yet. Still relatively young, IMO.

Couldn't agree more. 56 is the new 26!! (guess how old I am :LOL:)

Congratulations on pulling the Corporate plug.

...My announced retirement is on 1/2011...

So, how did it go?

We hope congratulations for you and envy from those of us who have not pulled the plug yet are still in order.

Good for you Beryl. You're an inspiration to us all. Well, all of us who:

1. Haven't quite figured it out yet ...

or

2. haven't plucked up the courage ...

or

3. Haven't squirreled away enough savings :)

Back
Top Bottom