Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-21-2012, 12:45 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

BensKat,

I don't think Mexico requires a substantial bank deposit to qualify for retirement, but others will know those specifics better than I. The trouble with rural life, whether in the US or abroad, is what happens when you are too old to drive a car? That day will probably arrive and then you are stranded. So, access to public transportation should be a consideration even if it is not an immediate need. Nearly any place that is cheap enough to be attractive will not be as politically stable as the US. Those of us who live abroad always have to have a plan B since the current situation can always deteriorate. Living abroad gives a wider range of risks that you can trade off. So, in a country like Mexico, you won't have to worry about going broke from health care costs, which is a real risk in the US, but you have the political and crime risks are greater. Doesn't mean you shouldn't go there, but you have to find a solution that is acceptable to you.

So, I would suggest you look at Mexico although I assume that would have first on your list. You might also consider Cuenca, Ecuador. Ecuador uses the US dollar as currency and life there is cheap, but you have to manage the crime issue and political stability is not assured.

In places like Mexico or Thailand, an expat retiree is not normally going to be able to run a business in compliance with the immigration laws. But enforcement is very lax. Now, I myself wouldn't want to run the risk of getting run out of the country, but I would probably accept that risk for the assurance of access to health care, which I wouldn't have in the US. So, you have to weigh the tradeoffs very carefully given what is important to you. And you have to remain flexible because things change over time.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2012, 03:07 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

BensKat,

From what you have stated, my suggestion (not advice) would be to FIRST look around the USA for an affordable spot. There are sites galore discussing cost of living issues, state and local taxes, housing prices, local culture and empl*yment opportunities. Honestly, $3200/mo AFTER taxes is probably enough to live "well" in the USA if you are willing to do the research. Only question mark is whether YOU have access to health care. I didn't catch the answer to that in your posts. Without HC insurance, life can be tough in the USA.

To me, culture shock of moving to another country would be a deal killer unless I really had no other choice. But, that's just me. Only you know yourself well enough to determine your ability to adapt. Even moving within the USA can cause culture shock (rural GA would be a culture shock to this midwestern raised boy!)

Good luck. Do stop back here often. There are many folks willing and able to offer council on a wide range of topics. We're mostly friendly as well.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:55 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
Sorry Boston does not have Free universal health care. Heathcare is never free, but there are places where it is universal
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Speaking as a Bostonian, our healthcare is not free, but it is unaffordable...which then makes it free (for everyone who can't afford it).
I notice nobody took issue with the incomprehensible language part.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:44 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BensKat View Post
I can find very few counties that issue retirement visas without a major investment in the local banks.
But do you actually need a 'retirement visa'? If you are only planning on renting, even a long-term rental, you can just consider yourself a tourist in some places. The country I plan on moving to when I am an empty-nester (Bahamas), will let you stay upto 8 months at a time as a tourist. Leaving for a few days every 8 months seems like an easy solution; guess it depends on which country you are looking at.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:32 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

+ 1 on the affordability of many places in the states. Language is optional where we are. Puerto Morales or Tulum would be more rural Playa del Carmen or Cancun and are quite nice and awesome beaches.

Grocery stores are very sufficient and you can still get you Sams or Costco on if you must. Gardening near the coast may be challenging close to the ocean, but veggies are plentiful and inexpensive here, just not the selection you may be used to.

We live on $2,000 monthly and would be hard pressed to go over $3k. Healthcare seems reasonable if you don't go to the gringo hospitals.

Assistance with cleaning home may cost you $40 per week for 2 visits weekly, tops. Peso has been weak which is nice when you plan on the exchange rate at 11 to 1...25% more purchasing power when it gets to 14 to 1.

Don't know anyone affected by violent crime (petty theft tops). Wouldn't buy property for the political instability possibilities and red tape.

The tourist visas are 6 months and you only have to run down to Belize to renew. Costa Rica is 3 moths. Dominican Republic just went to 3 AND you must return to your country of origin. This will hurt them in the long term I personally think.

Costa Rica I have heard is not a bad choice; heard the same with Panama. Costa Rica being more expensive of the 4 mentioned (I've heard).
Old 04-23-2012, 02:42 PM   #26

Not exactly on topic, but I didn't realize until I was reading a Rough Guide to Central America last night that El Salvador adopted the US Dollar as its official currency quite some time ago. I wonder how that would affect retirees considering a move there, or that already live there?

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:54 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Not exactly on topic, but I didn't realize until I was reading a Rough Guide to Central America last night that El Salvador adopted the US Dollar as its official currency quite some time ago. I wonder how that would affect retirees considering a move there, or that already live there?
It really shouldn't make much difference whether the local currency is the US$ or any other, as long as it is freely convertible. Local prices are what matter. One advantage to being able to use the US$ is no currency conversion fees, which can easily hit 2%. It also relieves the expat from having to hedge. I guess the math challenged don't have to walk around with their calculators. Wait - they still do - because measures are still metric.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:27 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
It really shouldn't make much difference whether the local currency is the US$ or any other, as long as it is freely convertible. Local prices are what matter. One advantage to being able to use the US$ is no currency conversion fees, which can easily hit 2%. It also relieves the expat from having to hedge. I guess the math challenged don't have to walk around with their calculators. Wait - they still do - because measures are still metric.
Very true, and there is also the issue in some countries of whether to use the official exchange rate or the "black market" rate at your friendly neighborhood cambio. I have seen gringos get in trouble by not knowing the ropes well enough to get over this hurdle.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:55 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

The OP's lack of international travel is evident.

In my experience for the same standard of living the cost of living isn't lower in developing countries. Of course if they are willing to live like a local costs would be modest.

The other issue is health insurance. Medicare doesn't cover you outside the USA and its protectorates. They would need to purchase health insurance valid for their country of residence and may want to purchase medical evacuation insurance.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:03 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I guess the math challenged don't have to walk around with their calculators. Wait - they still do - because measures are still metric.
I never know how to get 4 eggs! I think I'm saying a quartro de Kilo and they keep trying to give me 64 eggs?
Old 04-23-2012, 04:41 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post

In my experience for the same standard of living the cost of living isn't lower in developing countries. Of course if they are willing to live like a local costs would be modest.
I find that hard to believe! In my experience the only things that are more expensive then in the states are gas (for some of us),Luxury goods and some imported items like designer clothes, cars due to tariff's and duties. The food is generally cheaper and better quality, Housing is less,Medical care is cheaper and as good or better, Medicine is cheaper,Public transportation, private schools,maids,cooks,gardeners,dining,movies,entert ainment, all cheaper!

Granted, if you are a LBYM type living in the sticks paying $550.00 a month rent, I doubt there is enough cost savings to offset the costs of airline travel/Car Purchase/etc. in the average retiree's life span.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:45 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
I never know how to get 4 eggs! I think I'm saying a quartro de Kilo and they keep trying to give me 64 eggs?
Likely they are completely flummoxed. Try cuatro huevos, por favor!
Old 04-24-2012, 10:10 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post

Completely 100% agree.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:47 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
In Mexico, eggs are sold at room temperature and are usually in 12 or 18 packs. Of course, the corner store will sell in any quantity...just not by the kilo!
Old 04-24-2012, 02:49 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
In Mexico, eggs are sold at room temperature and are usually in 12 or 18 packs. Of course, the corner store will sell in any quantity...just not by the kilo!
It is the same way in Peru. The Supermarket sells them in 18 packs. When I go to the corner (at least 3 times a day) to pick up things for the wife/cook/guests they always use the metric system. 4 eggs = a quarter of a kilo, Cien Gramos = 6 slices of ham etc. The reason you buy 4 eggs at a time is 3 eggs in an omelette and the 4th egg is used to rid evil spirits from a child. They pass the egg over the naked childs head, chest,arms,legs, and then crack it open, to see what they caught. Instead of throwing it away after, I said why don't you fry it up for the dog. After so many looks of disbelief , I just oohh and ahhh with the rest of them!

I realize we are getting off track here so I will say this:
Latin american culture (as are most) is truly fascinating if you take the time to learn and enjoy all of the nuances. As a married expat you will not get to experience it as much, unless you are open minded and take the time to befriend the native people and not live in a gated expat community.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:42 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
[QUOTE=NYEXPAT;1188323]After so many looks of disbelief , I just oohh and ahhh with the rest of them!QUOTE]Always a good strategy. Also their remedies for many ailments...
Old 04-26-2012, 03:29 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

This thread is getting way off track of what the OP is looking for, however I hope she has learned some useful information from this thread. Most people are suggesting non-rural living and I agree. Life will be much easier, you will have some socialization with other humans, you will be part of a community instead of confined to loneliness in the sticks and you will have access to many more necessities.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:26 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

BensKat,

We are in a somewhat similar situation. We have an advantage in that we have the experience of living many places, some far, far away (note my location today under my avatar). Living outside the US is my Plan B.

I have been reminded retirement Outside the US More Rhetoric than Reality that it is possible to live in the US inexpensively. Taking into consideration things you have said here, I think that staying in the US might be a better option for you, especially if you have not traveled much. There is some culture shock moving to the South (more or less, depending on where you go), but at least you know the rules and the language.

One thing I am trying to keep in mind is that it costs money to relocate. It is a heck of a lot cheaper to do it in the US than to go abroad. And a heck of a lot easier to change your mind if it doesn't suit you.

It is also easier to research places in the US than elsewhere, too. There are a lot of articles covering cost of living, amenities, taxes, political and social ambiance, climate and safety for places in the US. It is easier to visit them on a trial basis, too.

I suggest a gradual approach. Plan to take a while to adjust to not working after you are all retired. Plan some low-budget, leisurely trips around the country. The country is not going to fall apart that fast. There is always time to go abroad. By the way, I suggest reconnaissance trips for foreign destinations, too. And live there a year before committing.

Cheers,

Ed

And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote