Join Early Retirement Today
Retired at 41
Old 10-30-2010, 04:29 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets
Retired at 41

Just found this forum by accident the other day.

Through a combination of good investing and reasonable frugality I was able to retire at 41. Best decision I ever made.

While most of my investments would not be of interest to people one thing I recently started doing may be.

Sharebuilder, a service offered by the same people who own ING Direct Bank, offers a way to do periodic investments at reasonable cost. For $12/mo you can make up to 12 stock purchases with no additional fees. They always offer a $25 sign up bonus and sometimes you can get a $50 bonus. (My $50 bonus came via email from ING Direct. I have an Orange Savings account there.) They also waive the $12 fee for the first month.

My approach was to select 12 different high dividend paying stocks and invest a fixed sum of money in each once per month My goal is to stay with it for a long time and thereby accumulate a sizable income producing nest egg.

My picks are not designed to be diversified. They reflect my desire to get some large cap exposure in industries where I have little or none presently.

This idea won't be good for everyone but the low cost and minimal hassle works for me.

bigjohn56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2010, 06:07 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by bigjohn56 View Post
Through a combination of good investing and reasonable frugality I was able to retire at 41.

Greg (retired in 2010 at age 68, state pension)
GregLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:22 AM   #3
Welcome Big John.

I have looked at the Sharebuilder offering in the past, and it does have some attractive features.

But for me, with relatively small amounts to be invested, the numbers didn't work out. It was not "low cost" in comparison to mutual funds or ETF's.

Between the monthly charge and the $75 back end fee to close an account, I figured $150 / year. That's 1% annually on a $15,000 account. If I had prospects of a 6-figure account balance in the near term, my view would be different.
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:16 AM   #4
Confused about dryer sheets

You are right. When investing a smaller amount even the $1 per trade times 12 is too much. I believe the $75 transfer out fee only applies if you want to move the assets elsewhere. If you liquidate there is not charge other than for the trades.

My first year will be only $82. ($12x12=$144 less the $50 bonus less the $12 free first month.)
bigjohn56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:26 AM   #5
Welcome to the forum. I hope you share the joys, challenges & lessons of your 15 years of ER in our Life after FIRE forum.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote