Retired at 53 and free to explore life

Free To Canoe

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Hi,

I have been retired for a year. I have been working to get my financial plan in order and fixing up our property that my wife and I now live on. We are outdoors types and like to travel, hike and canoe. We have 2 dogs.

I was glad to find the early-retirement web site where I can exchange ideas with like minded folks. I am still getting used to not having the 9 to 5 but definitely not worrying about the way things might have been. Not missing work.

Who keeps this web site running for us?

I am glad that spring has finally arrived in Pennsylvania.

Mark

Milton,

Thanks for the welcome. I guess I could have been less terse with my personal information. I guess I will ease into it.

Mark

It sounds like you have everything under control! :)

Your hobbies should allow you lots of inexpensive fun. Of course, there are many exotic canoe trips (e.g., the Nahanni River) and hiking trips (e.g., Mont Blanc), if you have the money.

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the site. I also enjoy the great outdoors and am excited to retire early next year so I can spend more time outdoors.
Congratulations on your early retirement!

- Dog

Canoe, congrats, glad you are enjoying the good life!
Do you travel with your canoe or just explore the Pennsylania area when it isn't cold?
Welcome!
Sarah

Canoe, welcome from a kayaker. I am planning to kayak in the arctic this summer, dreamed about this since 1968, shows what retirement can do.

Canoe, welcome from a kayaker. I am planning to kayak in the arctic this summer, dreamed about this since 1968, shows what retirement can do.

Wow. What a far out dream. I once met some people that visited the arctic (north pole) in a helicopter. That sounded pretty adventurous. This kayaking thing is many steps beyond. Has anyone ever done it before? Probably one of the last true wildernesses.
Your dream is an inspiration.

Mark

It sounds like you have everything under control! :)

Your hobbies should allow you lots of inexpensive fun. Of course, there are many exotic canoe trips (e.g., the Nahanni River) and hiking trips (e.g., Mont Blanc), if you have the money.

Definitely something to shoot for.

Mark

Canoe, congrats, glad you are enjoying the good life!
Do you travel with your canoe or just explore the Pennsylania area when it isn't cold?
Welcome!
Sarah

Sarah,

Thanks for the congrats. I first fell in love with canoeing when I lived in Moncks Corner, SC years ago. I will definitely be spending some time in SC canoeing. I went to TTC when I lived there.
Spent some time in northern FL this Feb / March. Very nice down there, too. Taking the canoe out to a local river tomorrow. Ist time this year.

Do you get out on the water down there? Have a favorite place?

Mark

How cool, Mark! I have family teaching at TTC and I just finished a semester there--back in school at the over-ripe age of 37. Small world!

We love getting on the water! Had a sailboat for a long time, went to the Bahamas in it, but spent a lot of time exploring around Folly Beach when we lived there--the small creeks are so beautiful! Love to come up on dolphin feeding in the shallows.

Now we live out on on the sea islands and have two inflatable kayaks which we enjoy as they are easy to carry down the long dock and deflate/pack in the old RV for trips!

We actually just did a great short trip down the Edisto River to Givhans Ferry weekend before last, and it was beautiful! As you probably know but these other folks don't, the Edisto is the longest blackwater river in the whole country!

Come on down again soon--we'll show you some cool places to canoe and maybe take the powerboat out in the harbor for a spin. PM me if you get this way.
Sarah

Last edited:
Welcome , I grew up in Pa. but now live in Sarasota Fl. on the water so I can just throw my kayak in and take off .

How cool, Mark! I have family teaching at TTC and I just finished a semester there--back in school at the over-ripe age of 37. Small world!

We love getting on the water! Had a sailboat for a long time, went to the Bahamas in it, but spent a lot of time exploring around Folly Beach when we lived there--the small creeks are so beautiful! Love to come up on dolphin feeding in the shallows.

Now we live out on the sea islands and have two inflatable kayaks which we enjoy as they are easy to carry down the long dock and deflate/pack in the old RV for trips!

We actually just did a great short trip down the Edisto River to Givhans Ferry weekend before last, and it was beautiful! As you probably know but these other folks don't, the Edisto is the longest blackwater river in the whole country!

Come on down again soon--we'll show you some cool places to canoe and maybe take the powerboat out in the harbor for a spin. PM me if you get this way.
Sarah

37 is not too old for school. I completed my BS at 37 and MS at 46. I guess I am a late bloomer.

What a small world. Just got back from canoeing and I am wearing my "Edisto black water River" tee shirt. Sounds like you have a nice set up down there in the low country. I bet you know some good places. Will PM when we go down there. Seeing dolphins in the marsh is neat. I have experienced that.
That inflatable kayak sounds like a good idea. Very easy and mobile to launch. Could be a problem deep in the swamp however. Are they pretty puncture resistant?
You probably know a million places to explore out past Ravenel like you are (heart of the ACE basin). The 4 Hole Swamp is an interesting place.

Enjoy the spring.

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome , I grew up in Pa. but now live in Sarasota Fl. on the water so I can just throw my kayak in and take off .

Yea, I envy you when I put the canoe up on the roof of the car to go canoeing. Kayak is looking better. Probably don't have to worry about river water levels down there either.

Back
Top Bottom