Join Early Retirement Today
Retired for the 4th (or is it 5th?) time
Old 10-22-2011, 07:18 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets
Retired for the 4th (or is it 5th?) time

I took early retirement at 55 but work just kept falling into my lap: back to original company as a contractor, software development for a couple of start-up companies, some web development for the military. More than 10 years later, my time is mostly my own. I miss the money that came from sources other than the IRA, but not being awakened by an alarm clock every day can be seen as a perk ;-)

I'm currently working with a long-time acquaintance on an autonomous system that *might* have application in law enforcement and the military. The hardware is on his nickel and any payment I get will likely be part ownership in the company. I'm not holding my breath - this isn't his first Grand Idea that was either not quite what the market wanted or a year or two late. However, I am getting to explore some interesting bits of current technology: microprocessors, postage stamp-sized GPS receiver, fingernail-sized digital compass, etc.

papaof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2011, 11:55 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Good for you. I followed a somewhat similar path when I retired at 54 and subsequently went back to work, retired again and then went back again. I am going to pull the plug early next year, hopefully for good this time.

Also, doing something you love in retirement that can provide a little coin is also nice; good luck with it.

DFW_M5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:07 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
You have to keep retiring until you get it right.
Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. That's my story and I am sticking to it.
packrat44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:54 AM   #4
I don't think I would ever retire if I worked with the interesting gizmos that you do. So if you enjoy it, keep doing it. But when it becomes a pita, then retire again. Good luck!
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote