Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-10-2008, 09:57 PM   #21
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Overall, don't you feel that volunteer "helpers" are substandard helpers? Almost every field requires a lot of time and effort just to stay current. Would this be a fun hobby? Basic utility theory tells us that people don't do arduous tasks for no reason. If not money, in what currency is the bill being paid?

Anyone ever consider a volunteer surgeon?

Ha
Medecins Sans Frontiers does come to mind, but I think it's important to point out that I charge for my work as a financial planner

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2008, 08:15 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

What about non-US REITS?

You've got pretty much everything else covered in your ETF selection list, but I don't see international REITS.

I've got some RWX for this exposure. Don't know if Vanguard has an equivalent or not.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:21 AM   #23
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightasadrum View Post
What about non-US REITS?

You've got pretty much everything else covered in your ETF selection list, but I don't see international REITS.

I've got some RWX for this exposure. Don't know if Vanguard has an equivalent or not.

I think non-US real estate is a very appealing concept but I haven't done any research on it. I have personal experience with many non-US equity markets but I am unfamiliar with their real-estate markets.

A quick look at RWX makes me think it's a reasonable option. I would start by finding out who the various indexes follow to understand the nature of the underlying securities, their composition and management; and to see if there is any significant difference between indexes.

Once I had an opinion on which index I preferred, if any, I'd look for an ETF that tracks it. State Street, Barclays and Vanguard are all reputable companies but the tracking histories and distribution records of individual securities are worth considering; as well as expense and turnover, of course.

George Fisher
Old 02-15-2008, 02:50 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I understand why you have 1/2 your money at FIDO, if your online info is correct, you were CIO there for 5 years..........

Anyway, nice to know a Wall Street vet.........share some knowledge with us about things really work.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 03:12 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Interesting article I read recently on international REITs:

BGI's New International REIT ETF Is Heavy On Japan - Seeking Alpha

I found it a bit odd that all three ETFs mentioned are so heavy in Australia, in addition to SE Asia.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:36 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

grfiv, I've enjoyed your site immensely.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:32 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

International REIT, I own some AWP (Alpine Dynamic).

mP
Old 02-15-2008, 06:28 PM   #28

grfiv, welcome. I enjoyed your links very much - thank you for posting them.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:41 AM   #29
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I understand why you have 1/2 your money at FIDO, if your online info is correct, you were CIO there for 5 years..........

Anyway, nice to know a Wall Street vet.........share some knowledge with us about things really work.........
I did work at Fidelity and while I did I was required to keep all my non-retirement, non-mutual-fund assets with them (as is true of most financial firms).

But the reason I use and recommend them now is because I believe them to be very good. Cost-basis accounting is a particularly strong point which is weak at most other brokerages; and not sufficiently appreciated by most investors.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:12 AM   #30
Dryer sheet wannabe

Insurance

I've put up another article, Insurance.

While not bearing directly on Early Retirement, it is an important aspect of the planning process that leads to Early Retirement ... and most people are inappropriately insured: too much of some and too little of other, often resulting in inadvertent risk taking.

"Pure" insurance (term life, home owner's, etc.) is not particularly exciting and people tend to ignore it but it provides indispensable risk management.

Insurance-based "products" are often as sold as investments and should be analyzed as such.

Social Security and Medicare are important components of retirement, post age 62.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:34 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

George,

Very nice set of work presented in all your links. Thanks for posting here.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:01 AM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

These are great articles. I make a motion to put them on FAQ here.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:02 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40 View Post
These are great articles. I make a motion to put them on FAQ here.

I second that idea. I've bookmarked them for personal use but think they are good reading material for visitors and users of this forum.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:13 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I think the difference in reception between grfiv website and Millionaire Mom Next Door's website is remarkable.

We must all be a bunch of male chauvinist pigs.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:39 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
I think the difference in reception between grfiv website and Millionaire Mom Next Door's website is remarkable.

We must all be a bunch of male chauvinist pigs.
I don't see grfiv putting in a bunch of links to get ad revenue and brag on his career.........just helpful info. I am sure grfiv made many appearances on CNBC and others, which to me is much more substantive than being on Montel..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:43 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

The wait continues for the coming of the true MillionaireDaddy............
Old 02-19-2008, 08:45 AM   #37
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Until we get a financial guru posting here who has appeared on Jerry Springer, I'm not going to be impressed...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:52 AM   #38
Dryer sheet aficionado

So... I clicked through to some of George's articles and eventually found my way here:

Capital Needs Analysis spreadsheet

This is a capital needs calculator that helps you figure (in a purely deterministic way) how much money you'll need to safely retire given a set of assumption about various factors. In playing with the calculator, something struck me as odd and I was hoping you guys could help.

If I assume that I have, say, 60 years remaining in my life, and I run the calculator for 30 years until retirement/30 years after retirement,
20/40, or 10/50 but I hold all other variables the same, then... The projected nest egg that I need *decreases* with earlier retirement/long post-retirement.

Sure, you need to save more per month to get there given the shorter timeframe, but still... This seems wrong to me. Shouldn't you need *more* money to retire sooner?

Is the calculator wrong? Or am I missing something?
Old 02-19-2008, 08:04 PM   #39
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickel View Post
So... I clicked through to some of George's articles and eventually found my way here:

This is a capital needs calculator that helps you figure (in a purely deterministic way) how much money you'll need to safely retire given a set of assumption about various factors. In playing with the calculator, something struck me as odd and I was hoping you guys could help.

If I assume that I have, say, 60 years remaining in my life, and I run the calculator for 30 years until retirement/30 years after retirement,
20/40, or 10/50 but I hold all other variables the same, then... The projected nest egg that I need *decreases* with earlier retirement/long post-retirement.

Sure, you need to save more per month to get there given the shorter timeframe, but still... This seems wrong to me. Shouldn't you need *more* money to retire sooner?

The answer is a bit longer than can easily fit here; please have a look here: Capital Needs Analysis Spreadsheet Explanation and see if it answers your question.

Thanks,
George Fisher
Old 02-19-2008, 08:26 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickel View Post

Since we know that a determinsitic scenario is also an unrealistic one, why not try these different scenarios, just as they are presented, in FireCalc?

Ha