Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-23-2011, 02:49 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Good luck. Looking forward, where do you see yourself?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2011, 03:34 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwojdyg1 View Post
I'm kind of embarrassed and have never even written publicly about my issues. I also forgot to mention that throughout our entire marriage, my husband has always threatened me with divorce anytime that I would bring up finances with him. When he retired and I showed him my concern and being displeased, he advised me, well let's separate and divide everything -- he also advised me to "suck it up" this is Alberta and you are responsible for my debts.
If I were in your position, I would consult an attorney.

I won't go into your husband's character except to say, from what you have revealed here, he appears to be manipulative, controlling, self-centered and irresponsible.

What assets are in your name? Do you have separate bank accounts or joint accounts? I'm sorry for your situation, but honestly, if I were you I'd be trying to figure out how to get myself out of the marriage with the least financial loss possible. Do you really see yourself growing old with this man, believing that he will care for you and cherish you if you can't support him any longer?

Old 05-23-2011, 03:39 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladypatriot View Post

I won't go into your husband's character except to say, from what you have revealed here, he appears to be manipulative, controlling, self-centered and irresponsible.
Wow. I can only imagine what you'd say if you hadn't decided to not say anything.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:51 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

It sounds like you need some outside help. The problem seems to be much deeper than financial.

Get some help ASAP. Talk to your spiritual leader, psychologist, lawyer.

Best of Luck
Old 05-23-2011, 04:51 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladypatriot View Post
from what you have revealed here, he appears to be manipulative, controlling, self-centered and irresponsible.
And disrespectful.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:10 PM   #26

I have no advice for you, but I wish you the best of luck.

I hope you are able to work everything out and find peace, one way or another.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:11 AM   #27

Sorry to say:
Cut your losses, get a lawyer and get out.
If not, your life can only get worse.
Imagine your situation in 10, 20 or 30 years...
Old 05-24-2011, 05:44 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

It's easy to agree with the "get out" sentiment ... at least from this distance.

Arnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:58 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2008 View Post
Sorry to say:
Cut your losses, get a lawyer and get out.
If not, your life can only get worse.
Imagine your situation in 10, 20 or 30 years...
I concur. It's difficult to know when to "cut your losses" (that's why so many people hang on to declining stocks) but something needs to change and quickly or you will be in debt for the rest of your life.

My divorce happened when the ex wanted to take out a loan to go on a trip. I don't even know where the trip was going to be to - the discussion never got that far. As I put it then "I am NOT making payments on a dead horse!"

At the time we had a 20-year-old house with original appliances, a questionable septic system, and slightly curling shingles on the roof. Nothing was critical, but there was no way I was going to put myself in a position where I had to beg relatives for money for something as basic as a furnace or roof, or refinance the house for something that basic or readily foreseeable.

I was just not going down that road.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:38 AM   #30

Your situation will only worsen as time goes on and you realize how manipulative he has been during the marriage. Cut your losses and get the best lawyer you can afford, while you can still afford one.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:40 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwojdyg1 View Post
... I've invested $130,000 of my own money into this recently acquired home and would be awfully upset at losing all of my hard earned income. My husband did not put a penny into any home we ever owned....
The longer your situation goes on, the more of your hard earned income will be at risk (as he accumulates more debt, you put more $ into the house). You could do the old "am I better with/without him" lists for comparison.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:07 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

What do you want for yourself in one, five, ten, twenty years? What do you need to do to get there? Do you want to stay where you are? If so, live with it. If not, formulate a plan to change your life.

Then start taking steps forward one at a time to reach your goals instead of continually taking steps backwards into more financial trouble.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:27 PM   #33

The OP hasn't been back to read responses for more than 24 hours. Must be tied up at the lawyer's office...

Old 05-25-2011, 08:44 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Hello mwojdyg1. My heart goes out to you. I don't know what I would do, except follow ladypatriot's advice. This situation looks really bad, and probably is even worse than it looks. We all wish you the best in getting out of this mess.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:17 AM   #35

I sincerely believe that you are headed for either bankruptcy or divorce. The choice is yours, but I'm very confident that those are your only 2 options.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:39 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
I sincerely believe that you are headed for either bankruptcy or divorce. The choice is yours, but I'm very confident that those are your only 2 options.
it doesn't have to be an either/or... could be both!
Old 05-25-2011, 11:44 AM   #37
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webzter View Post
it doesn't have to be an either/or... could be both!
And of course against all odds we might once more have been played.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:14 PM   #38
Dryer sheet aficionado

My situation is similar in spirit

I have been married for over 30 years and have 2 wonderful sons, a career I love, money in the bank, friends......but I have lost my soul mate, again, to the hell that is the aftereffects of alcohol abuse. My husband retired 20 years ago when the economy of Alberta tanked (could it be the water?) I was fortunate to get a part time teaching job and my husband learned to love cooking, cleaning etc. Honestly he was a former farm boy, grew up to be a tradesman who always took pride in doing a good job and was happy to leave a very physically demanding job as he was getting older. Even when the economy improved we were both happy with the quality of life having a stay at home partner and I worked part time (which eventually became full time). To be fair he found part time work which lasted until he turned 65. But over the years he grew more dependent on alcohol and was very good at hiding it. 6 years ago he could no longer hide it, we got through it together and he was alcohol free for 5 years. (2 short relapses) But this New Years we went to a wedding and he had "just one drink to celebrate" . The last few months have been filled with tears, fights, AA meetings and finally a family intervention this weekend. He is now in a 5-7 day detox facility where he will get the help he needs to clean his body from a physical addiction. He will need the rest of his life to fight the emotional reasons he give himself to continue wanting alcohol. He was honestly in hell and could not find a way out.
3 years ago I started attending Al Anon and learned how my behaviors were contributing to this situation, but more importantly it taught me how to put my life back together and learn to deal with his addiction. I learned how to live MY values. My husband is a wonderful man who became controlling, manipulative and very much in denial over how much his illness was affecting our lives. Thank god for my boys who were able to help me do what needed to be done. But I know I could not have done it without the love we shared becoming important enough for him to want to keep it. I wish you luck with your situation but more importantly please consider councelling with or without him. It will give you the tools you need to get your life back together. There is no value higher that that of serenity. Don't equate money with the ability to be happy. No matter the financial cost it is only money and can be earned again. Your life cannot. God bless.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:22 PM   #39

It has been more than three days since the OP checked in to read this thread. Looks like we're all talking to ourselves on this one...

Old 05-26-2011, 03:31 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
It has been more than three days since the OP checked in to read this thread. Looks like we're all talking to ourselves on this one...
I wonder if we scared her off or what (we were all suggesting to face her situation and act on it...)