Join Early Retirement Today

Retirement?
Old 05-15-2017, 04:37 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Retirement?

I am considering retiring at the end of the year, and am a little nervous about it. Firecalc says I'm okay, and I spoke with Fidelity and they say I'm okay too.
Still......thought I would ask for another opinion. Giving up a nice income makes me a little nervous.

My current monthly expenses run around $2400 per month. I don't see them changing except as prices rise due to inflation.
My income after retirement would be $2800 per month. It will go up when I turn 70 (in 7 years) and take my own social security (it will increase approximately $1500 per month)
I will be buying my health insurance from the ACA exchange.If it goes by the wayside at some point, I'm two years away from Medicare.

Current investments:
1,100,000 in sep/roth iras.
340,000 non-ira split between a mutual fund and a bond fund.
100,000 cash (my emergency money).
My house is free and clear (worth around $500,000)
and I own two rentals (combined worth around $450,00 with
a mortgage on one of $67,000)

So two questions:

First, do things look good for retiring?

Second, I will shortly be inheriting somewhere between $300,00 to $400,000 in addition to the above. Any idea on what to do with it?
SheitlQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2017, 04:54 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum!

If you haven't already seen it this is a list of questions that you will want to have solid answers to before retirement:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post1399715
Old 05-15-2017, 04:57 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

what type of $$$ do the rentals throw off net?
Old 05-15-2017, 05:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
what type of $$$ do the rentals throw off net?
They net me $1200 per month although I am just about to increase the rent on each which should bring it up to $1500.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:22 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleT View Post
I am considering retiring at the end of the year, and am a little nervous about it. Firecalc says I'm okay, and I spoke with Fidelity and they say I'm okay too.
Still......thought I would ask for another opinion. Giving up a nice income makes me a little nervous.

My current monthly expenses run around $2400 per month. I don't see them changing except as prices rise due to inflation.
My income after retirement would be $2800 per month. It will go up when I turn 70 (in 7 years) and take my own social security (it will increase approximately $1500 per month)
I will be buying my health insurance from the ACA exchange.If it goes by the wayside at some point, I'm two years away from Medicare.

Current investments:

So two questions:

Second, I will shortly be inheriting somewhere between $300,00 to $400,000 in addition to the above. Any idea on what to do with it?

Just my humble opinion.

When you get your inheritance put it in the market at a 30-50% equity/bond split.

You have over 1 mil in sep and roth IRA plus rental property and 340 K in another IRA. Thats a net worth close to 2 million and over that with the inheritance.

You are 63 now so a 3.0% swr is reasonable. You could even do 2.5% and collect rent and do fine. When social kicks in then even better. If you are really nervous about it, go part time and transition out over the next 3 years.
slv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 05:40 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Based on the info you provided (age, NW, income and spend rates) you should be good to go. IMO, don't really need much of a calculator to figure yours.

BTW, welcome to the forum....
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 05:43 PM   #7

Quote:
They net me $1200 per month although I am just about to increase the rent on each which should bring it up to $1500.
I am assuming that number is in the $2800 per month income?? Even with the 's on ACA costs (for only two years) I think you are more than good to go!

Good luck!!
Old 05-15-2017, 05:43 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

You may want to use Cobra to get you closer to Medicare.
Dash man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 05:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Based on the info you provided (age, NW, income and spend rates) you should be good to go. IMO, don't really need much of a calculator to figure yours.

BTW, welcome to the forum....
+1 With expenses that low you'll be fine for sure
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 06:26 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Have you considered taxes and have you factored in medical expenses into your numbers?
T-Minus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:07 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Fidelity & FireCalc say you are good as well as most of the replies above..so what is making you nervous? Any major change is usually somewhat unsettling...fear of unknown is pretty normal. What are your plans for when you do retire?
evilanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:22 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I will repeat what most have already said. I would say you are more then good to retire. Very low cost to live and the one thing is you have cash flow. I really don't see any issues unless you change things up.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
I am assuming that number is in the $2800 per month income?? Even with the 's on ACA costs (for only two years) I think you are more than good to go!

Good luck!!
Yes, it is included in the $2800.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Minus View Post
Have you considered taxes and have you factored in medical expenses into your numbers?
I checked with my accountant and it looks like if my income does not change I will have very little to no taxes due. However, the extra $100,000 I have set aside as my "emergency fund" is there in case he is wrong or for medical expenses. I also have another $400 left over at the end of the month for any medical expenses that crop up.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilanne View Post
Fidelity & FireCalc say you are good as well as most of the replies above..so what is making you nervous? Any major change is usually somewhat unsettling...fear of unknown is pretty normal. What are your plans for when you do retire?
Just normal paranoia I think....all of a sudden no large income from working.
Also, I have worked since I was in 5th grade (baby sitting, berry picking when younger, not a lot of money, but still used to working and earning) so it will be strange to no longer do so.

After retirement will spend time taking care of the property (house and land need a lot of work), relaxing, and spending time on my passion, competitive shooting. Also planning to take classes, including learning an instrument. All kinds of things I've never had time for before!
Old 05-15-2017, 08:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
You may want to use Cobra to get you closer to Medicare.
I was self employed, so my understanding is the premiums wouldn't be deductible I should "only" be paying $355 for the monthly premiums under the ACA which isn't bad.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:29 PM   #17

Quote:
I was self employed, so my understanding is the premiums wouldn't be deductible I should "only" be paying $355 for the monthly premiums under the ACA which isn't bad.

If you are self employed health care premiums are a line item deduction on the 1040, up to your earnings, but no more.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:23 PM   #18

Quote:

Current investments:

So two questions:

What are you waiting for? Death? Spend that hard earned money.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:53 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
If you are self employed health care premiums are a line item deduction on the 1040, up to your earnings, but no more.
Correct,but I thought it was different with COBRA. No matter though, will get coverage through ACA.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:43 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Invest new money at your desired AA.