Retirement Preparation

People on this board are here to learn about how to FIRE, so understandably most are interested in how their investments are handled and make the gentle leap to DIY with index funds at low expense ratios once they've done some reading here.

DH is not one of those people. He will probably call an FA on the way home from my funeral should I go first.

Let us know if your guy suggests changing your investments, if you want. It would be interesting to see what direction he feels you should go. I can let DH know :) .

Last edited:
I too use ML and have done so for 15 years. It's important to me because he is good, ....

J ...
Rex,
I think your advice is sound. We have been happy with our ML adviser as well. ....

And the question I always ask after these comments - how can you judge if the FA is 'good', or if you should be happy with them? It seems to me, one must have some knowledge to make this judgment. And as many of us have said many times, for most cases, the amount of knowledge needed to determine of your FA is any good is enough knowledge to DIY.

Anything from ~ 50/50 to 85/15 asset allocation has worked about the same in the past, there is no magic number that some FA will hand you. And as others have pointed out, most FAs will cost you about 25% of your retirement income. Are they that good?

BTW and FYI, "DW" stands for "Dear Wife" here.

http://www.early-retirement.org/for...ently-used-on-the-forum-34884.html#post643924

-ERD50

And the question I always ask after these comments - how can you judge if the FA is 'good', or if you should be happy with them? It seems to me, one must have some knowledge to make this judgment. And as many of us have said many times, for most cases, the amount of knowledge needed to determine of your FA is any good is enough knowledge to DIY.

Anything from ~ 50/50 to 85/15 asset allocation has worked about the same in the past, there is no magic number that some FA will hand you. And as others have pointed out, most FAs will cost you about 25% of your retirement income. Are they that good?

BTW and FYI, "DW" stands for "Dear Wife" here.

http://www.early-retirement.org/for...ently-used-on-the-forum-34884.html#post643924

-ERD50

+1, If you know enough to really know whether your FA is giving you good advice then you know enough to DIY. Letting a FA have as much as 25% of your retirement income is kind of like deciding to work an extra decade so you can pay the FA.

I agree with those who say not to trust a financial planner. You need to do some self education. There are plenty of resources out there. Unless your financial life is excessively complicated . . . then you may have no choice. Seek out friends and recommendations of friends.

Having said that I did meet with a lawyer for some estate planning. My financial life is pretty simple but she found a few important changes to make in our house deed, drew up wills, and set up a trust. She was wonderful and reasonably priced and it was well worth the money.

I am going to take the high road and say this has not been my experience at all.

I don't understand. In what way are you 'taking the high road' with that comment?

And I am still curious about my earlier question - what is your basis for being 'happy' with your FA? How do you come to that conclusion?

-ERD50

I have some very intelligent relatives (advanced college degrees) who misguidedly REFUSE to learn about finance while trusting essentially all their $$$ to a FA (@ 1.5+% PER YEAR plus brokerage fees, fund loads, etc). IMHO- Knowledge of at least basic investment issues is part of life in civil society. While some may choose to pay big $$ for "full fee" FA, without that basic understanding one has no way to evaluate if the FA is doing a good job or simply holding your hand while sweet-talking, plugging your assets into a '1-size-fits-all' plan, & taking your $$ in fees. Or worse, perhaps being a criminal 'mini-Madhoff'.
That said, despite being a financial DIYer I found it useful to have a formal (fee-only) FP done before deciding to FIRE. He gave me a somewhat independent second opinion regarding my situation (inc. AA & NW vs spending trends). And there are some $$-related life issues a good FP can advise you about (e.g. wills, trusts, POA's, etc.).

Drew's index fund!

I'd like to tell everyone that I strongly believe in my tag line.
Nobody should have to pay for sound financial advice. And nobody should listen to a financial advisor that is charging and or trying to charge you money for either a subscription, fees, etc..etc..

I subscribed to one of the more prominent internet investmen newsletters.
All they are good for is sending you teasers from other clubs, newsletters, etc..
trying to get you to join yet another one in order to get the latest and HOTTEST stock picks.
I quickly learned that by doing my homework and putting in a couple of hours of work, I was able to identify 90% of the stocks that the experts were recommending. If you read into the hints and then do a bunch of google searches you can usually figure out the stock(s) they are pushing.

So, I've decided to create my "own" little index fund with the money that I currently have in my IRA which was monies that I had earned in an old 457 deferred compensation from my former job in NY State.
I'm retired at age 43 and I live off of an injury related pension and S.S. Disabilty.
I don't have to work another day in my life as I live modestly.
I am a strong believer in forever and high dividend investing but I don't need to pay money to know which stocks to own.
I will be making my own little fund a bit more transparent as soon as I have a bit more time.
I can guarantee that I match or beat any newsletter or clubs and I don't charge a dime for my stock picks simply because I want others to create their own wealth without having to pay for it because you don't need to if you can do some homework but I've done most of that for you and will be listing the stocks that I own in my portfolio in due time.

Thank you all and I hope you enjoy and profit from the stocks I have chosen.

Happy Investing
Drew

any time i see the name merrill lynch my pucker factor increases to 10+. Your experience may be different but i was misled/screwed once too often. Fortunately i found this website. I took a few days, started reading from the first post, asked a few questions, and pulled my biscuits from the fire before they burned. Cheers!
+++++ 11111111

I could be retired by now if i had received basic common sense honest advice from ML. Didn't quite happen that way. :-(

Last edited:
+++++ 11111111

I could be retired by now if i had received basic common sense honest advice from ML. Didn't quite happen that way. :-(

And there's many that would tell they did, no offense intended to your post. I know folks that retired because their E.D. Jones advisor helped them. This thread is not about how a bad FA could have done better.

The OP had questions about what things to take away from a planning session. Many have tried to help, many have chosen to vent about FAs or other subjects.

Can we all get back to answering the OPs questions, instead of retelling how such and such FA did a bad job.

MRG

The OP had questions about what things to take away from a planning session. Many have tried to help, many have chosen to vent about FAs or other subjects.

Can we all get back to answering the OPs questions, instead of retelling how such and such FA did a bad job.

MRG

No, because you can't really separate the two. It's a little like asking "Which grade of gasoline would be best to use to extinguish this fire?" Of course, the answer is "NONE!".

Maybe the OP will get back to me and answer my question about how he determined his FA is doing well for them? That would be enlightening.

Again, you need some knowledge to know if the FA is 'good', you need to know what to measure. That's enough knowledge to DIY, and save all those fees.

There may be specific tax situations, etc, that might make sense to pay by the hour for expert advice. But for general selection of investments and an AA - that is a piece of cake.

-ERD50

Wow. Glad this wasn't the treatment I received on what was my 4th post.

MRG

Wow. Glad this wasn't the treatment I received on what was my 4th post.

MRG

So tell me what you disagree with. It's good treatment, as it is good advice, IMO.

-ERD50

So tell me what you disagree with. It's good treatment, as it is good advice, IMO.

-ERD50

Calling a new guy out on stuff he didn't ask about. I know you're trying to help, some of us learn different. The OP did answer you, just not in the terms you hear.

As far as good treatment, I obviously misunderstand what is good about it.

MRG

Calling a new guy out on stuff he didn't ask about. I know you're trying to help, some of us learn different. The OP did answer you, just not in the terms you hear.

As far as good treatment, I obviously misunderstand what is good about it.

MRG

Not sure what you mean 'calling him out'? And where did he answer my question? He said something like he was 'comfortable' with him, and got 'good advice'. How does he know the advice was good? Investors were comfortable with Bernie Madoff, too. I'm looking for something objective.

What I'm trying to get at - I think he's putting the cart before the horse. Asking about what questions to ask an FA should be prefaced with:

Do I need an FA? What specifically do I need an FA for? If I have good reasons to need one, how do I determine if this one is any good? I think those are important questions that should be addressed first, ergo, I call that good treatment.

-ERD50

Steady, Gents. We're all here to help each other.

Again, you need some knowledge to know if the FA is 'good', you need to know what to measure. That's enough knowledge to DIY, and save all those fees.

While I am a DIYer and I do save all those fees, I do see how my ideal FA could be helpful to me.

I don't really need or want someone to invest my money for me. I don't really need or want someone to sell me something that he or she will be compensated for selling. In fact, I wouldn't want to buy anything through the FA. I would want advice not sales information.

I don't need anyone to come up with arcane and difficult to understand products that I should buy. I am OK with mostly index funds (I do have some Wellesley).

Still, I can think of things where I really would like to get the advice of someone who knows much more than I do. And, while I do think I am somewhat educated on those stuff (have read several books, followed posts here and other places, and so on), I am not an expert. And, knowing what an expert - a true expert, not a salesperson - would say is not that easy to do.

I mostly lurk some at Bogleheads. There are some very knowledgeable people who post there, some of whom are well known and write some of the books/articles we talk about here. And, they don't always agree on everything! And this isn't because they are idiots. It is because some issues aren't that clear cut.

On some of those issues, knowing general principles is one thing. I think I know that part. But, knowing how to apply those general principles to the specific situation is not necessarily that easy.

Where I would sometimes wish could be obtained would be detailed, personalized advice applying to those general principles to my specific situation, where that situation is not typical. That is, some situations are very typical and general principles easily give a good answer. Other situations have nuances that may call for a different answer. I think this is an area where a true expert could help with giving advice.

The problem is that finding that advice can be difficult:

1. Most FA's are really salesmen, who aren't there to advise you but to sell to you. Even if the FA really does try to advise honestly, the FA has an inherent conflict of interest.

2. There are some free/cheap financial plans out there. We got one from Vanguard. It was OK as far as it went, but wasn't personalized very much to our situation. I could have predicted almost everything that we were advised.

3. Theoretically you could hire an FA and pay an hourly fee just to get occasional advice or even one time advice on specific situations. However, even in that situation you may have difficulty getting this. First, many FAs might not even consult with you except perhaps for a hefty fee as you aren't a regular customer. Even if the FA does so, the FA also has a vested interest in you becoming a continuing client and not just a one shot deal.

So finding a FA, who isn't someone who is selling to you and who doesn't manage your investments, but who is willing to analyze and give advice about your personal situations even though you may be only an occasional client, is not necessarily an easy task.

My wife and I are hoping to retire in February, 2014. We are planning on meeting our financial adviser from Merrill Lynch in early October to review our financial situation to determine if we have go/no go decision and if it is a go, how will the financial aspect of the retirement work? What is the draw down per year? What is the best strategy for social security? etc.

What I am looking for is if anybody else had a planning session like this and if so, what was provided by their adviser and how detailed was it?

Thanks.
This week wife and I are going to meet with FA about an analysis of social security, how to maximize that. This is meeting #2, when we get the 'free' report.

It's very apparent to me that he is increasing the sales pitch each step of the way.

Why do this if I have no intention of using the paid services? Actually, I capture the experience and send it to AARP. After a dozen free dinners or so with various FAs, decided to go to next step to glean more understanding of how investors get hooked. I'm really curious about the free analysis, and what value it provides.

This brings me to the heart of discussion, namely, the FA should disclose to you where he has a vested interest. It would then be up to you to determine how extensive his profit is on the product(s), and whether it is tainted advice.

This week wife and I are going to meet with FA about an analysis of social security, how to maximize that. This is meeting #2, when we get the 'free' report.

It's very apparent to me that he is increasing the sales pitch each step of the way.

Why do this if I have no intention of using the paid services? Actually, I capture the experience and send it to AARP. After a dozen free dinners or so with various FAs, decided to go to next step to glean more understanding of how investors get hooked. I'm really curious about the free analysis, and what value it provides.

This brings me to the heart of discussion, namely, the FA should disclose to you where he has a vested interest. It would then be up to you to determine how extensive his profit is on the product(s), and whether it is tainted advice.

Well my experience is most will disclose the minimum. They will provide the prospectus, it includes the fees. What they don't disclose is what you could buy the same product on your own.

My DF went to a FA(DF has done DIY with Fidelity for 25 years). This is FA puts him in Pimco Total Return fund. I know the fund from my 401k, think I pay .46 ER. So I'm not concerned. Then I review what my DF signed up for, and same fund different class. DF signed up for a 1% 12b1 fee, a 1% trailing sales fee(for 1 year), and the fund has a .66 ER. So his annual expenses are 1.66%( forget the trailing sales fee as it's 1 year only). Now I go to Fidelity, DF could have bought the same fund for .46 ER, it's not in Fidelity NTF so tack on $75. DF bought a six figure amount that was a one time buy.

Did the FA disclose fees yes, did he inform DF what he could have done, No.

Thats been our experience. YMMV.

MRG

Well my experience is most will disclose the minimum. They will provide the prospectus, it includes the fees. What they don't disclose is what you could buy the same product on your own.

My DF went to a FA(DF has done DIY with Fidelity for 25 years). This is FA puts him in Pimco Total Return fund. I know the fund from my 401k, think I pay .46 ER. So I'm not concerned. Then I review what my DF signed up for, and same fund different class. DF signed up for a 1% 12b1 fee, a 1% trailing sales fee(for 1 year), and the fund has a .66 ER. So his annual expenses are 1.66%( forget the trailing sales fee as it's 1 year only). Now I go to Fidelity, DF could have bought the same fund for .46 ER, it's not in Fidelity NTF so tack on $75. DF bought a six figure amount that was a one time buy.

Did the FA disclose fees yes, did he inform DF what he could have done, No.

Thats been our experience. YMMV.

MRG
12b1 fee....I thought that curse words were not allowed on this forum :LOL:

Wds, if your FA is qualified and trained in comprehensive financial planning rather than in sales, he or she should be able to provide the specifics you've asked about regarding questions outside the investing-specific realm.

If he isn't, then a consult with a fee only planner would be well worth your time and they can also review your entire financial plan at the same time,including tax and estate concerns.

Try to remember, my DIY friends, you aren't always in the same moccasins as other, equally bright posters to our fine forum. If they find value in their financial advisors, spiffy BMWs, or whatever, all is still right with the world. :)

Back
Top Bottom