Join Early Retirement Today
Old 04-04-2008, 07:53 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by WarrantiesFurLess View Post

I am new here, and although I was retired early, I am not the retired type, I was bored stiff having fished and golfed to the point of saturation, so I went back to work and started a few more businesses, which is my passion from day one. I guess I am just a workaholic, and old habits are hard to break. lol

Good luck to all, Mike
Today, on a flight, I met a woman who felt the same way. She is ER, has a $0.5m home and enough money to travel worldwide several times a year, and was on her way to visit a sick friend. She is considering "starting something entrepreneurial, to have a purpose". I understand where you both are coming from. But I didn't point out that if she were not FI, she would not be able to rush to her sick friend's side as she was doing today (purposeful, I think), nor would she have been able to spend the first 3 months of 2008 in New Zealand.

The key here is choice, which depends on financial independence.

Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2008, 09:04 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets
I'm not one of the ER bunch, but I am reading and listening to this forum all I can to get to the FI part, in a happy way.

There is so much to learn from others.

A854321 is offline   Reply With Quote
My thoughts on this...
Old 04-05-2008, 07:31 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.
My thoughts on this...

Happiness comes in many forms.

If you have the ability to "retire" (e.g. being financially independent) but still want to do something - go for it!

As others have said, there are those on the forum that think "the way I did/do it is the only way"...

Nonsense! Life is short - if what you are doing pleases you (and you don't hurt anybody else), "just do it".

For me, I retired "before the age of 60" (59 ) and I get my "bliss" by volunteer work. Others can't see "doing something" (even if retired) for someone else without getting paid for it. That's OK with me. I'm happy, and I hope they are.

Take care...

- Ron
rs0460a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 08:36 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
The key here is choice, which depends on financial independence.
And Meadbh nails it!

The FI part must come first; then you can RE, or volunteer, or be an entrepenuer, or whatever else makes you happy.
TickTock Rule Of Finance - heavily discount any promises of money/benefits to be paid to you in the future

"I've traded love for pennies, sold my soul for less" -Jim Croce, Age
TickTock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 09:02 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...
I have posted this as best my memory can recall several times:

Anybody remember the old E.F. Hutton(?) tv ad with the old phart and the young man sorting bones in a tent on a dig - the young guy complaining and the old guy smirking that he could afford to to this because he presumably had picked the right stock broker.

'Follow your Bliss!'

The corollary being you are FI and can manage it.

heh heh heh - In some 'jobs' pay is just a way of keeping score. In others - irrelevent.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 09:29 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Hi Mike and welcome to the board. As you have already seen there is a wide diversity of backrounds and opinions here.

I am a two time retiree. My first was very short-lived and does not really count in the greater scheme of things but my second one has been nearly 11 months so far and I still can't believe I ever had time for a job.

A lot of retirees stop working at a job but don't stop working at something. Many just channel that energy and time into areas they want to explore or master rather than be a slave to a career, business or a job. Life is too short to waste time doing things you don't want to do. The key is being able to feed yourself and keep a roof over your head while you chase your dreams or just chill out doing nothing.

Financial independence makes a lot of things possible. If running a business makes you happy then by all means keep doing it. The concept of FIRE is really about doing what makes you happy and being able to chase your dreams without the millstone of a job around your neck. FI and RE usually go together but not always. Some folks have done it backwards and others like yourself, are more into the FI aspect rather than the RE part. Do what makes you happy.

Good luck to you.
Work? I don't have time to work....I'm retired.
SteveR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 01:17 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
Volunteer work has been an essential part of my ER. Here's what I like about volunteering:
- I get to do something I enjoy (in my case, doing adult literacy tutoring and also - in a separate venue - helping older military veterans.)
- I get to set my own hours. I tell them how much time I'm willing to put in; they appreciate what I do and have learned not to push me to do more. I volunteer Sept - May but take the summer off. (I hike, paddle and work on my yard June - Aug.) They understand that.
- Because of the work I've done, I'm well respected in the organizations in which I volunteer.
- I don't have to go to staff meetings! Because I've worked up credibility where I volunteer, I've been offered the "opportunity" to attend staff meetings. (They think I'm one of them.) My answer is always the same: "Thank you very much but, being retired, I dont do staff meetings any more."
i couldn't have put it better meself.
the key is setting your own hours. up front with no arm twisting allowed.
and...if you have 2 different volunteer jobs, you can always tell a little white lie about prior commitments to the 2nd org if the 1st org gets too intense about monopolizing your time. works every time.
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney
freebird5825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:03 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by bongo2 View Post
Perhaps this is a topic for another thread, but I've been wondering for a while: everyone around here loves their retirement, but the "experts," from psychology to finance, seem to all claim that retirement is a big mistake. Why the disconnect?
Seems obvious to me, some psychologists may believe that "most" people don't have many interests beyond their jobs/careers and financial 'sperts understand that most people can't afford to retire. They are both probably correct in their assessments. I don't much care for blanket statements, but I think most folks "around here" don't fit into either category.

NotSoonEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:09 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by dex View Post
I may not have ERd if work was not work - in other words - it was enjoyable and provided me with the lifestyle I wanted. And I did have it easy in my previous position - 165K salary - TV/Internet in office; worked 9-5 mostly and had a staff that did the grunt work. But I had the money and youth to ER - the work and lifestyle it provided wasn't worth my staying.
So what would work look like that would keep me working?
Salary - 150K - 250K
Days/Wk - 4
Hours 9-5
Vacation 2 months (amybe 3)
Content - something that challenges my mind in a wide area interests with a good team of people
Failing that I'd rather be bored.
Also; another thing to consider is that there are phases to ER and while there are boring time. I think those times are pointing towards a need for development.

PS - There is nothing wrong with working if you want to now and will not regret it in the future for missiong something.
After 34 years of working and exactly doing what you mentioned above the last 6 years +, I decided to say enough. I want to do something new and different, now. But, I am 62, and not your age.

MGYog is offline   Reply With Quote