Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-19-2009, 06:47 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

72 days out. Still receiving majoring taskings from the boss. I guess they're trying to get the last bit of work out of me. No relaxing the finals days of duty. I guess relaxing can happen 1 July.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2009, 10:44 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hey, you should be ecstatic over the real estate price decreases in FL since you first posted this thread! I go to MacDill AFB frequently for w*rk, the area has gotten quite a bit more congested (esp vehicle traffic to/from Brandon) since I was stationed there just 10 years ago.

The time will go by quickly.

BTW, if you haven't stashed any money in TSP, you should consider doing it now. You can't establish an account after you retire, but once you have one open you can later dump other money (e.g. from 401Ks, etc) into it. Just establishing an account with a few dollars now keeps this option open for you. You might want to use this program later--the costs are very low.

Best of luck as the clock ticks down.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:27 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Good points about TSP. I have maxed out TSP since it originally opened up to military back in 2002, I think. Even put in $44k when deployed since it was allowed.

Regarding housing prices, yes, I'm very happy that I might capitalize on the housing price decrease. Of course, along w/ the housing prices, my portfolio has decreased as well (I'm at $480k when I originally started this thread I was at $500k - that doesn't include the massive investing/saving that I've done since I started this thread).

Looking forward to 30 June 2009.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:22 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

60 days out
Old 05-02-2009, 11:30 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nothing like that final countdown. From an ex-AF guy, good luck with your retirement. Don't forget to get every physical problem documented before you retire, will help with VA if you need disability now or later. About learning from Nords, yes he's a great resource. But remember, he's an ex-Navy guy who was ok with living inside a submarine.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:41 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinallyRetired View Post
About learning from Nords, yes he's a great resource. But remember, he's an ex-Navy guy who was ok with living inside a submarine.
It's easier to make a submarine positively buoyant than it is with aircraft...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:27 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

46 days - dental, hearing, medical physicals all complete. 45 minute audiology exam - got the works. Those field artillery cannons, Billy Joel concerts, and loud Buccaneer games did no harm.

Funny how as you get close to retirement your health takes on an importance - sacrificed a lot in the military with long hours, poor sleep, believe it or not - poor fitness. Goal is to maximize what Uncle Sam has to pay (pension).

Another goal is to undo all the bad habits and self neglect during the military career with exercise, diet, and sun block.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:14 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by oma View Post
Goal is to maximize what Uncle Sam has to pay (pension).
"Pension dollars received" > "active duty pay".

For extra lifetime serenity points,

"Pension dollars received" > "active duty pay" + allowances + bonuses.

... and then try adjusting it all for inflation...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:58 AM   #29

When you are looking for houses, resist the temptation to buy more house and garden than you really will use and want to take care of.
You may also want to check out ww.simpleliving.net and its forums. Lots of helpful info there, too, how to make the most of your 48k.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:24 AM   #30

Oma,

If you are considering renting, check out local Military Installation, at Patrick AFB, they are renting on base housing to retirees now, pretty good deal from what I hear.

Good luck to you.

Jim
Old 05-15-2009, 08:37 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks all for the advice -
Old 06-21-2009, 04:47 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

10 days to freedom
Old 06-22-2009, 10:58 AM   #33

OK, you're just rubbing it in! For me, it's 3 yrs, 6 months, 25 days till I can retire from DOD as a federal civilian employee, and just 11 months till I retire from the AF Reserves. I'm officially jealous!!!
Old 06-22-2009, 03:46 PM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
10 days to freedom
Excellent!
Keep the countdown going...
Old 06-22-2009, 10:55 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Enjoy it...I have loved it from day 1.

It is nice getting a check and not having to work for it!
Old 07-17-2009, 06:58 AM   #36
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hmmm..... Haven't heard from OMA since he retired. He must be out somewhere on a beach soaking in the rays. Good for him!
Old 12-08-2009, 06:45 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Been retired since 1 July. Still not used to the slower pace (not complaining). Always finding something to do - mostly involves spending money - a habit I need to break.

Almost on a daily basis, I seem to be explaining why I'm only 46 and completely retired. I guess I need to stop explaining that -

You reap what you sow....shouldn't feel guilty about it.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:01 PM   #38

OMA, so did you find a place in Florida?

Jim
Old 12-08-2009, 07:17 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes - a condo in the Tampa/St Pete area - life is good, lots of golf, beach, sporting events, and unfortunately spending (goes with buying a new place to live). The slower, low stress lifestyle is exactly what I've been looking forward to -
Old 12-08-2009, 07:27 PM   #40

Quote:
Yes - a condo in the Tampa/St Pete area - life is good, lots of golf, beach, sporting events, and unfortunately spending (goes with buying a new place to live). The slower, low stress lifestyle is exactly what I've been looking forward to -
Great! Welcome to Florida. BTW, in case you are a Disney fan, you can still get into the Disney Parks for Free until Dec 23ish. As a retiree you get a 5 day park hopper pass, complimentary.