Retiring Army Soldier

About learning from Nords, yes he's a great resource. But remember, he's an ex-Navy guy who was ok with living inside a submarine. ;)
It's easier to make a submarine positively buoyant than it is with aircraft...

46 days - dental, hearing, medical physicals all complete. 45 minute audiology exam - got the works. Those field artillery cannons, Billy Joel concerts, and loud Buccaneer games did no harm.

Funny how as you get close to retirement your health takes on an importance - sacrificed a lot in the military with long hours, poor sleep, believe it or not - poor fitness. Goal is to maximize what Uncle Sam has to pay (pension).

Another goal is to undo all the bad habits and self neglect during the military career with exercise, diet, and sun block.

Goal is to maximize what Uncle Sam has to pay (pension).
"Pension dollars received" > "active duty pay".

For extra lifetime serenity points,

"Pension dollars received" > "active duty pay" + allowances + bonuses.

... and then try adjusting it all for inflation...

When you are looking for houses, resist the temptation to buy more house and garden than you really will use and want to take care of.
You may also want to check out ww.simpleliving.net and its forums. Lots of helpful info there, too, how to make the most of your 48k.

Reactions: oma
Oma,

If you are considering renting, check out local Military Installation, at Patrick AFB, they are renting on base housing to retirees now, pretty good deal from what I hear.

Good luck to you.

Jim

OK, you're just rubbing it in! For me, it's 3 yrs, 6 months, 25 days till I can retire from DOD as a federal civilian employee, and just 11 months till I retire from the AF Reserves. I'm officially jealous!!!:D

Enjoy it...I have loved it from day 1.

It is nice getting a check and not having to work for it! :)

Hmmm..... Haven't heard from OMA since he retired. He must be out somewhere on a beach soaking in the rays. Good for him!

Been retired since 1 July. Still not used to the slower pace (not complaining). Always finding something to do - mostly involves spending money - a habit I need to break.

Almost on a daily basis, I seem to be explaining why I'm only 46 and completely retired. I guess I need to stop explaining that -

You reap what you sow....shouldn't feel guilty about it.

Yes - a condo in the Tampa/St Pete area - life is good, lots of golf, beach, sporting events, and unfortunately spending (goes with buying a new place to live). The slower, low stress lifestyle is exactly what I've been looking forward to -

Yes - a condo in the Tampa/St Pete area - life is good, lots of golf, beach, sporting events, and unfortunately spending (goes with buying a new place to live). The slower, low stress lifestyle is exactly what I've been looking forward to -

Great! Welcome to Florida. BTW, in case you are a Disney fan, you can still get into the Disney Parks for Free until Dec 23ish. As a retiree you get a 5 day park hopper pass, complimentary.

Great! Welcome to Florida. BTW, in case you are a Disney fan, you can still get into the Disney Parks for Free until Dec 23ish. As a retiree you get a 5 day park hopper pass, complimentary.

Thanks for the welcome-

Took advantage of that while waiting for the condo to be built. Spent the day at EPCOT. Also visited Kennedy Space Center during an Aug (or Sept?) Space Shuttle night launch -

Back
Top Bottom