Retiring Introvert - Ideas on Making Friends

I second the recommendation for Meetup. I recently joined a hiking group in my area. You can be as sociable as you want in the group. Or just enjoy the hiking.

The first Meetup group I joined was about 10 years ago--The East Bay English Bulldog Owners Group. What a hoot--20 bulldogs running around. When I moved to San Francisco, I joined the bulldog group there.

When I was working a lot in Paris, I joined the Paris Walkers' United Meetup group. They're all over!

The groups provide social interaction with very little commitment. You can decide how much socializing you want to do with the other members.

Taking classes is another way to find friends, but as others have said, it does take time to develop relationships. I have made friends in my ballet classes, but over a period of 1 to 2 years. The shared experience (adults trying to be graceful) generates some bonding! I'm not saying I see these people all the time outside of class (or the meetup activities), but I do enjoy the time I spend with them.

Seconding the suggestion for taking an adult education class. I enrolled in an evening class at the local highschool; welding. No better ice breaker than to have your shirt tails on fire. Met a really nice bunch of guys who seemed sincerely concerned for my well being

:ROFLMAO::2funny::2funny:

I was drinking diet coke when I read your post. You owe me a keyboard!

Back
Top Bottom