Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Retiring Introvert - Ideas on Making Friends
Old 01-28-2014, 12:34 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Hello!

My husband, 57, is thinking about taking an early separation package from his job, where he's been an engineer for 30 years. He is mostly fine with the financial aspect - he knows we have enough to live on well into our 90s. But he is scared of the unknown future. Specifically, being an introvert, all of his friends are from work and when he leaves he will only have me. (He has no family, except our three kids, who all live in other states.) We definitely have to leave San Jose and move to a less expensive location - like Nevada or Florida. (I have been a homemaker since 1991.)

So - ideas anyone on how to mitigate his fears of the unknown, but exciting, future that awaits him? Whether it is next week, or next year - or ten years, he is going to have to face retirement sometime.

Thanks!
Miramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2014, 12:44 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One immediate thought I have is to go slow and not be so hasty to move. get acclimated to ER first, before going through another major life change such as a relocation to another state.

As others here recommended to me before my ER, he might also consider planning what he will do with his time. This "chore" was a genuine fun activity for me, and for a while I vowed to add one thing each day. I now have a very comprehensive list that should last the rest of my life .

There are a gazillion retirement planning books out there that are worth reading -- not so much the financial ones, but the "mental" ones which helped me considerably, as well.
mystang52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:45 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Nothing wrong with being an introvert! I think the first hurdle is understanding that work friends aren't necessarily real friends and most of them will drop away from your life soon after you leave. That's ok - they were good to pass time with. When you understand that, then you can replace them with other time passers - volunteer activities, hobbies etc. or not - a true introvert is happy
on his own! It sounds like you are the more social one - fine: do the running for the family's social life and introduce him into your circle. I know and accept that a lot of the people I see now are because of my wife. True friendship can't be forced or manufactured, wait for it. But in the mean time, be happy in your duo, let the more sociable of the two take the lead in finding circles, and revel in time to yourself.
Dd852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Being Married to an Introvert
Old 01-28-2014, 01:54 PM   #4
Confused about dryer sheets

Being Married to an Introvert

Thank you for your responses. All great ideas! I passed them on to my husband. I am looking forward to the next step - whatever happens, it's going to be exiting.
Miramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar View Post
Thank you for your responses. All great ideas! I passed them on to my husband. I am looking forward to the next step - whatever happens, it's going to be exiting.
Freudian slip
zedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:06 PM   #6

Has he looked into the online system of meetup? There are likely groups of all interests which he could join to find possible like minded friends once he no longer has the work connection.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:34 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar View Post
But he is scared of the unknown future. Specifically, being an introvert, all of his friends are from work and when he leaves he will only have me.

So - ideas anyone on how to mitigate his fears of the unknown, but exciting, future that awaits him?
I tend toward the introvert side of things, and I never much think of "trying to make friends" as a goal in itself. I do things I am interested in, and in the course of events I meet people with whom I share an interest. That seems to me to be a more natural way to meet people. So, I'd urge him to concentrate on the activities he likes (hobbies, sports, maybe a part time "for fun" j*b, church, "for fun" adult education courses, volunteer activities, etc) and he'll find people he wants to associate with.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:03 PM   #8

Introvert here as well. When I was still teaching....that was enough human contact for me. When I came home at the end of the day I wanted peace and quiet. Golf season is coming....so I will likely join and play a few times a week and force myself into getting more sociable. The last thing I want is a ton of friends. If my phone rang all the time it would likely be destroyed. I see people talking on their phones all the time.....don't know how they do it. It would drive me nuts.
F4mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:14 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I think you both would benefit from reading Quiet:The power of Introverts in world that can't stop talking. One of the chapters deals with retirement.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:10 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I'm also an introvert who retired last year at age 56. My work friends were scattered all over the country since I was a telecommuter as was most of my team. I moved a lot for much of my adult life until I settled in PA 15 years ago, so I don't really have any close friends to hang out with, but manage to stay busy.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:21 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

For me, as a self-professed introvert, it was a self-solving problem that I too concerned myself with prior to ER. Four months in, it turns out I don't really miss the social contact at work. I'm more than happy in my own skin, with my wife's company and occasional spurts of family and old acquaintance interactions to fill my calendar.
Ozstache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:05 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I am an introvert, also - a 58 year old engineer. I can also relate to what your husband is apparently saying about having most of his social contact at work, and few friends outside of work. I'm a bit nervous about leaving the job and being completely isolated.

However, for me, it's primarily because work takes up most of my life energy in a week. I really don't have a lot left over after a work day to go out and get involved in my other interests beyond work. As an introvert, I don't need to be social as much as some people, but I do like to be selectively social.

I think that once work goes away, I will find the energy and time to get involved in a whole world out there, although I'm never going to be a social butterfly. The people I meet are likely to be people I really have things in common with, because I choose to bring them into my life, and aren't just forced to get along with during the work day.

Even though my emotions sometimes tell me the contrary, I think I have very good evidence from 4 long or short sabbaticals in my career (layoffs and out of work for months). The evidence shows that I quickly relax from work, drop all the work "friends", and start getting involved in non-work activities I truly like. Along the way I start to meet new people I enjoy. Unfortunately, in the past, I went back to work, and I had to scale back on the activities and people I was getting involved with. When I retire, it will be a permanent sabbatical.
Grigori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:33 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozstache View Post
For me, as a self-professed introvert, it was a self-solving problem that I too concerned myself with prior to ER. Four months in, it turns out I don't really miss the social contact at work. I'm more than happy in my own skin, with my wife's company and occasional spurts of family and old acquaintance interactions to fill my calendar.
That's about where I am too. Been working out fine for the last 12 years.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:10 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Plus 2 on Meetup, as long as you live near an urban area. Or he could hang out here and have virtual friends.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:25 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

As others have said, having a bunch of friends probably isn't that important to a true introvert. I prefer peace and quiet and isolation 99% of the time. That being said, if your husband wants to meet a bunch of people i'd recommend moving to a gated community in Florida. It's nearly impossible not to meet a lot of different people in those communities. You can rent a place for a few months then decide to buy or not. There are always rentals available but expect to pay a high premium Jan-Mar.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:44 AM   #16

just an idea - if you do relocate - possibly consider a 55+ community subdivision as many of them have a ton of activities and clubs for their homeowners. I have a couple of FIRE'd friends who have done this and they are busier in retirement than they were when working!
wmc1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:52 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozstache View Post
Many people report this. A potential flaw that I see is what happens to you if your wife becomes incapacitated or dies or leaves you?

This is pretty close to the all the eggs in one basket, which IMO may not be prudent, even though it may also be quite comfortable.

I have no wife, I live alone, but I can get into depending on my girlfriend. And something I have noticed, she will subtly resist my tending to outside relationships, especially those with women. Overall, I have to come up with a good way of avoiding conflict without letting her control me.

I think if someone is not having sex or intending to have sex with outsiders, they should be able to have whatever friends they want.

Ha
Old 01-29-2014, 02:37 PM   #18

I'd recommend exploring the bars. Lot's of interesting people there, especially in the daytime. After a drink or two he'll be chatting it up with everyone!
Old 01-29-2014, 03:17 PM   #19
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

I think if someone is not having sex or intending to have sex with outsiders, they should be able to have whatever friends they want.

Ha

Nice Fantasy but in reality most women would not appreciate the friendships unless the other woman was a relative , 90 or did not like men.IMO!
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:19 PM   #20
Gone but not forgotten

Sorry for the interruption Miramar & Welcome !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
early retirement, introvert, loneliness, relocating