Join Early Retirement Today

Rollover 401(k) - E*Trade vs Vanguard?
Old 12-11-2013, 09:05 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Rollover 401(k) - E*Trade vs Vanguard?

Hello everyone,
Been reading this site for a few months. Thanks so much for everyone posting such valuable insight and with such transparency. This information has helped me tremendously. So thanks for giving me examples to learn from.

I have recently changed jobs and have a 401(k) to roll over. I currently have an E*Trade account with DW tIRA and a Roth IRA for myself. But after reading through much of this site, there seems to be a definite preference for Vanguard. Since I can buy Vanguard funds through E*Trade, just curious to everyone's thoughts about:

1. just keeping my E*Trade account and opening a rollover IRA account there
2. Opening a Vanguard account (Voyager Services level) and rolling the 401(k) to Vanguard
3. Rolling everything to Vanguard.(Voyager Services level)

A big reason i wish to rollover is i have learned about Fund expense fees - thanks to this site; and all my fund fees are north of %1.0

Another question i have concerns AA. Currently i am heavily equities (90%). I realize now i need to correct that. I am 45, and would appreciate any suggestion as to funds I should look at to address my AA.

Thanks for all the past information and any suggestions/input you can offer.

Thanks,
Roby
robybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2013, 09:16 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you purchase Vanguard funds through e*Trade, won't you pay a commission? If you purchase those same funds or ETFs through a Vanguard account, you pay no commission on the purchase.

DH and I are long-time Schwab customers, and e*Trade, to a lesser extent, but slowly are moving money over to Vanguard.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:33 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robybuck View Post
Hello everyone,
Been reading this site for a few months. Thanks so much for everyone posting such valuable insight and with such transparency. This information has helped me tremendously. So thanks for giving me examples to learn from.

I have recently changed jobs and have a 401(k) to roll over. I currently have an E*Trade account with DW tIRA and a Roth IRA for myself. But after reading through much of this site, there seems to be a definite preference for Vanguard. Since I can buy Vanguard funds through E*Trade, just curious to everyone's thoughts about:

1. just keeping my E*Trade account and opening a rollover IRA account there
2. Opening a Vanguard account (Voyager Services level) and rolling the 401(k) to Vanguard
3. Rolling everything to Vanguard.(Voyager Services level)

A big reason i wish to rollover is i have learned about Fund expense fees - thanks to this site; and all my fund fees are north of %1.0

Another question i have concerns AA. Currently i am heavily equities (90%). I realize now i need to correct that. I am 45, and would appreciate any suggestion as to funds I should look at to address my AA.

Thanks for all the past information and any suggestions/input you can offer.

Thanks,
Roby
Don't forget the options of:

1. Leaving your 401k at your old employer. That's what I did. I'm very happy with the 401k plan at my previous MegaCorp employer and am allowed to continue there despite no longer being an employee or contributing.
(Edit: just noticed you mentioned high ER's on funds in your old employer's 401k. That probably eliminates this option. My ex-employer's 401k fund choices carry extremely low ER's, so a different scenario.)

2. Move the 401k at your ex-employer to the 401k at your new employer.

Before you convert a 401k to a rollover IRA, be sure you understand the pros and cons of 401k's vs IRA's in your particular situation. In my own situation, my TIRA's contained substantial amounts of post-tax money and I'm doing some Roth conversions. I did not convert my 401k to a rollover IRA because I did not want to dilute the tax advantage of converting post-tax dollars from a TIRA to a Roth.

If you do decide to convert, ETrade would be as good a place as any, especially since you are already doing business with them.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:25 AM   #4

Hi Accidental Retiree,
Thanks for the reply. You are correct. the fees for ETFs at E*Trade are 9.99. I dont trade heavily, so i didnt consider this too heavily, but maybe that is short sided on my part. Given that i will need to rebalance my AA as well, this probably needs more consideration.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:31 AM   #5

Hi youbet,
Thanks for the reply.
Yeah the expenses are one of the driving factors. I have left my 401(k) there for about 9 months as my returns have been pretty good. But reading about expenses rates here has caused me to consider that I should roll it over to have the ability to control those over time.

My current employer plan is with Prudential, and their fees aren't that great either. Generally %.8 and up.