Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-31-2017, 05:23 PM   #21
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
Do you get free healthcare while you are on sabbatical.

I live in Canada where healthcare is free.

freed2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2017, 08:59 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

FIFY

Quote:
Originally Posted by freed2017 View Post
I live in Canada where healthcare is free publicly funded.

Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:15 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Any thoughts on how to deal with guilt?
You work for the govt so you are just a number that can and will be replaced eventually with another number and the govt won't feel guilty.
So why have guilt?
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:17 PM   #24

No guilt. You just change your mind. People do that all the time. But seriously you are just a small potato.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 02:05 PM   #25
Dryer sheet wannabe

An update on my situation. Last week, I gathered all my courage and resolve and asked my boss for a one year sabbatical. She was very understanding, even said that she herself had been in the same position some time ago (although her plan did not materialize in the end). A few days later she told me that her boss was not so enthusiastic as she felt they were already short-handed. However, we discussed possible solutions to compensate for my absence. She plans to offer one of my colleagues the opportunity to take up some of my supervisory functions and hire someone on a one year contract.
My sabbatical will start at the end of August, a bit later than I hoped for but hey, I can't complain. I am not sure when the annoucement will be made to my team and what reactions to expect.
The thought of having all that free time hasn't yet sunk in. For his part, DH will be FIRiNg at the beginning of June.
I am planning to make the most of that year, not knowing at this point if I will return to work afterwards, but hoping it will not be necessary. We plan a trip to French Polynesia in mid september. And another trip south to escape the worst of winter.
freed2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:49 AM   #26

Quote:
I live in Canada where healthcare is free paid for via taxes.
Fixed.