Join Early Retirement Today

Salutations from Mid-Atlantic region of U.S. — targeting ER 2021
Old 07-15-2018, 08:52 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Salutations from Mid-Atlantic region of U.S. — targeting ER 2021

First, thank you for the great content and genial atmosphere. Hope to contribute to the knowledge on this site.

Like others, I’ve lurked mostly, posted a bit. Hopefully my introduction post doesn’t put folks to sleep.

I will be 53 this year, and DH is 56. We plan to relocate to Florida in 2021 and enjoy a somewhat early retirement (I am a native Floridian and parents and siblings are in FL. Hubby loves FL too). No kiddos (raised a neice for 5 years when she was a teenager — that was plenty, thank you). Nearly a dozen neices and nephews so no shortage of family activities when we want them.

Currently at $1.6M net worth — targeting $2.1M for March 2021. Our plan is to leverage the IRS rule of 55 (The IRS Rule of 55 allows an employee who is laid off, fired, or who quits a job between the ages of 55 and 59 1/2 to pull money out of his 401(k) or 403(b) plan without penalty) to tap my 401K to help with the transition until DH can tap his retirement at 59 1/2 later that year. We are looking hard at our asset allocation (thanks to the posters on this site for reminding me not to be cavalier about this). I would call us buy and hold investors, and this has served us well. But now that we have ‘set a date” we are are moving to a less aggressive allocation. More to come on this. Current allocation - ~85% mutual funds/stocks, ~8% bonds, ~7% cash

Like others, one of the big issues for us to address is healthcare. The mega corp I work at does not provide health care in retirement. He works for a smaller company, so no medical coverage there. We are both healthy, but we need to get in better shape before we retire.

We have no debt other than mortgages (our home and a home a neice rents from us). When we sell the houses we will bank the proceeds. We’ve tracked our expenses most of our marriage (29 years), and we budget monthly. I suspect we will continue that in retirement.

We have been exploring several “old-Florida style” beach towns. We are “dog people” (highly allergic to cats), so dog park is part of our ideal retirement location (I know that might sound a bit nutty to some, but then, so is the dog). We’ve got things narrowed down, but may travel for a bit when we retire, rent for year to ensure it is a location we want to live year round, and then buy a house for cash.

No questions at the moment, but wanted to say hello and thank you!

CBH
cynicalbuthopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2018, 10:41 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hi! Welcome aboard. Sounds like you are on the right track. Keep it up.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:40 AM   #3

So, by "Mid-Atlantic" do you mean you live in the Azores?

Old 07-15-2018, 12:23 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
So, by "Mid-Atlantic" do you mean you live in the Azores?

How very "American-centric" of me. Mid-Atlantic region of the U.S. I should have said.

Must have been channeling my scuba diving bucket list.
Old 07-25-2018, 07:28 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Best wishes! What part of FL are you thinking? I've mostly dived in the Boynton Beach/West Palm Beach, and Keys parts of the state.
HI Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 07:40 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Welcome! I’m going to love reading your posts - you have a great sense of humor.
trumpeting_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 09:13 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Welcome my future Floridian. Looking forward to hearing of your continued adventure.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:34 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Welcome!
not nutty at all re the dog park
but then I'm someone who chose a home based on location relative to two well researched veterinary practices, one for the dogs and one for the cats
(well, also relative to a preferred place of worship, a whole other kind of "nutty' to some)
mamadogmamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 06:14 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNL Bill View Post
Best wishes! What part of FL are you thinking? I've mostly dived in the Boynton Beach/West Palm Beach, and Keys parts of the state.
While our idea re-location spot would be Islamorada, we want to be ~ an hour away from my parents and siblings. I have lived out of state for most of my adult life, and I am looking forward to being close enough to spend time with my family when we want to get together (fortunately DH enjoys time with my family -- at least he says that...).

We have a fondness for Anna Marie Island (it's got that walkability feel we love and I love that white sand that stays comfy even in the high heat).

Went diving in West Palm Beach in my teens -- current was a beast. Favorite diving in FL is in the Keys all the way.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:19 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpeting_angel View Post
Welcome! I’m going to love reading your posts - you have a great sense of humor.
Thank you for the welcome! I was hoping my personality would come through -- I love a sense of community and I know I have to "put myself out there" so to speak so people can get to know me.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:22 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicalbuthopeful View Post
Went diving in West Palm Beach in my teens -- current was a beast. Favorite diving in FL is in the Keys all the way.
The only diving I did at West Palm Beach was from a boat...fast drift diving! I dove with a local, and he indicated there wasn't any good shore diving there...strong currents, for sure!
HI Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 06:36 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

yep, it was by boat - down the anchor in front, up the line in the back.

Ah, memories.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:42 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Welcome my future Floridian. Looking forward to hearing of your continued adventure.
Hey, hey, hey -- no future Floridian -- native Floridian! I was born in Tampa and I am heading home (ok, not home EXACTLY -- my parents sold their South Tampa home earlier this year -- but still...).

Ah, Tampa -- so much change. Shocks me every time.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:50 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicalbuthopeful View Post
Hey, hey, hey -- no future Floridian -- native Floridian! I was born in Tampa and I am heading home (ok, not home EXACTLY -- my parents sold their South Tampa home earlier this year -- but still...).

Ah, Tampa -- so much change. Shocks me every time.
Sorry about that. Just moved to "New Tampa" last year. You know it is all relative. People complain about housing prices and traffic, etc.
My residence is 160% larger for 40% less money than our former NE area.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:55 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadogmamacat View Post
Welcome!
not nutty at all re the dog park
but then I'm someone who chose a home based on location relative to two well researched veterinary practices, one for the dogs and one for the cats
(well, also relative to a preferred place of worship, a whole other kind of "nutty' to some)
House of worship can be a family/community too, so I get that.

I will confess we bought our current home so the dogs would have a glorious backyard (we love it too, but they adored it -- both have gone to dog heaven now - miss those crazy pups still). AND we are right down the street from a top notch vet hospital, so there you go.

Our current canine kiddo also loves the yard, but prefers playing with other dogs more, so dog park is on the relocation list -- otherwise we will spend most of our early retirement trying to wear her out.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:59 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Sorry about that. Just moved to "New Tampa" last year. You know it is all relative. People complain about housing prices and traffic, etc.
My residence is 160% larger for 40% less money than our former NE area.
I was kidddinng..it's all good. My parents moved to Wesley Chapel which is near New Tampa. They love it.

re: house size, less money in FL --- don't forget the part about less taxes!