Join Early Retirement Today
Old 05-18-2016, 05:15 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Well, I also have been know to push a vacuum cleaner around.
I run things at my house, too.

Vacuum, lawn mower, dishwasher..........

Yes, I have achieved work / life balance.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2016, 08:34 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets
Even though I'm a good five years away from retirement (currently 55), I appreciate this thread. I was married late (age 35), we didn't have our first child until I was 40. DW quit her career job to stay home due to some health issues with that child. Had our second child a few years after that. When our oldest hit high school (two years ago) DW had had enough of the SAHM scene and went back to work 3/4 time. She is much happier being back in the work force, and having the new income is great.

This is great news for me; I'm sick of the rat race and have had a job since I was 13, and could retire (mentally) tomorrow if we were already FI. I am very good with chores, home improvement, and even already do most of the cooking (which I enjoy and she totally enjoys!); we already kid that I'm the house-husband. I've even picked up the slack on helping the kids with homework.
And she's on board with me quitting and managing the home when financially ready. The downside is that college expenses for the kids still await. Anyway, it's good to read how others have handled or plan to handle the situation.

dadu007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:43 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets
This has been an educational thread to see how couples negotiate FIRE. My goal is to FIRE in 5-7 years but DW has little concept of it, which these posts make clear is a delicate situation for many. However, it should become a different conversation when we get to the point that investments can cover our lifestyle needs such that w*rk is truly optional.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 05:28 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by dadu007 View Post
....The downside is that college expenses for the kids still await. ...
One thing to look into/consider is if you RE a bit before kid #1 goes to college if you will get more financial aid/lower college cost because your income will be lower with just your DW working.

If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote