Join Early Retirement Today

Saying Hello
Old 10-27-2008, 08:49 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Saying Hello

56 years old and retired thats me Phil, I live in Walkden which is a suburb of Manchester in the north west of England. After 30years at the same company I decided to finish in June 2008 and walked away from it all into retirement. My interests include music Motown and northern soul being my favourite genres, fishing (English style course fishing), photography digital SLR and photoshop, and a bit of walking.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2008, 08:58 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Another fan of Motown here! Welcome to the forum.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:31 PM   #3

OOh yes got switched onto motown after hearing Reach out back in '66 Sad news about Levi Stubbs one of the finest soul voices
Old 10-27-2008, 09:39 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

joan Osborne and the Funk Brothers, What becomes of the broken hearted.

From their film, "Standing in the shadows of Motown".

mP
Disappointed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:46 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disappointed View Post
joan Osborne and the Funk Brothers, What becomes of the broken hearted.
From their film, "Standing in the shadows of Motown".
mP
The best film ever! I've watched it a dozen times....and cried....
Old 10-27-2008, 09:49 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee View Post
56 years old and retired thats me Phil, I live in Walkden which is a suburb of Manchester in the north west of England. After 30years at the same company I decided to finish in June 2008 and walked away from it all into retirement. My interests include music Motown and northern soul being my favourite genres, fishing (English style course fishing), photography digital SLR and photoshop, and a bit of walking.
Is that where you use maggots on tiny hooks to catch perch and fish like that? That would sure make the bait acquisition problem easier.

BTW, you like the film "The Commitments"? Not bad for white folks, doncha think?

Ha
Old 10-27-2008, 10:03 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Welcome - What is "Northern Soul" music? I thing you could squeeze some blues and jazz also.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:09 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
BTW, you like the film "The Commitments"? Not bad for white folks, doncha think?

Ha
One of my favorite all time movies, although DW says she still can't understand their accents even after watching me watching it many times. It's the exact story of every band I've ever been in, except for them having talent and all.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:54 PM   #9

Dex the nearest thing you have in the states to our northern soul scene here in the UK is Carolina Beach music basically black American uptempo soul music from the 60's and 70's
Ha Ha thats right fishing with maggots on size 22 hooks is one of the methods we also use bloodworm on a size 28 with my eyes being what they are nowadays I prefer to use size 6 & 8 hooks hair rigged with a boily bolt rig style and fish for 30LB+ carp the commitments was a good film but I prefer the original songs by the black artists who made them James Carr has a tremendous voice even with all the problems he had he is a legend also the Marvelettes vastly underated Wilson Pickett also made an appearence the Commitments did a fair rendition of Mustang Sally I saw the Funk Brothers live in Manchester a couple of years ago lead by Jack Ashford Stevie Winwood formally of the Spencer Davis group was with them as well absoloutly brilliant they recreated the snake pit sound perfectly
Old 10-27-2008, 11:05 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Dude, I'll sell you some punctuation real cheap. I need the cash flow.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:12 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
One of my favorite all time movies, although DW says she still can't understand their accents even after watching me watching it many times. It's the exact story of every band I've ever been in, except for them having talent and all.
I love the scene where I think it's the girls who start fighting first. Then a general melee. I also liked it when the drummer headbutted some troublemaker. That tall dark haired girl is fine too. She smokes!

Ha
Old 10-27-2008, 11:22 PM   #12
gone traveling

Welcome to the forum! It will be interesting to hear a UK perspective on some of the more "colonial" topics.
Best,
WS
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 02:14 AM   #13

Thanks westernskies, incidently about the comment "can't understand the accents" in the commitments neither can I, so don't feel bad about it.
I live on the outskirts of Manchester here in England, the city centre is about 9 miles to the east, but if I go a few miles to the west towards Wigan, then I need a phrase book to understand the locals. If they start useing local slang too..... then you have to get an interpreter!!
You must have places like that in the states?? My accent is like Liam & Noel Gallaghers from the Band Oasis, if you have ever heard them speak they are Manchester lads.
PS check out my website below there's some northern soul tracks on it

http://www.peebee05.co.uk
Old 10-30-2008, 08:04 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Welcome, Peebee, we call some of that music Beach (or Shag) Music here in the Carolinas, as it originated in beachfront concert halls around Myrtle Beach, SC. Ha and I both share a great love for it, as well as the Commitments, as it turns out! I love their version of Mustang Sally and I play the soundtrack all the time on my iPod, but it has been years since I've seen the movie.
Harley it is exactly like every band I've ever been around!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:22 AM   #15

Thanks Sarah, Yes I'm familiar with the beach music scene. I was on audio galaxy sharing forum a few years back, and a lot of the soulies over here were registered on their groups, We all got on well and exchanged a lot of music both ways, we have a lot of original black American records that found there way over to the UK through ports like Liverpool, London and Southampton as ships ballast some of the more hip DJ's and collecters around at that time picked them up for nothing many are worth thousands of pounds now. John Lennon obtained a lot of the early Motown stuff that they covered on their first couple of albums by asking Liverpool merchant seamen going on the big ships to New York to pick him stuff up.
There have been a number of beach/shag CD's officially released in the UK as compilations over the last few years.The two forms of music both intertwine each other beach and northern soul.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:29 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome--and you have great hobbies, except for the whole fishing with maggots thing
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 03:32 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Welcome--and you have great hobbies, except for the whole fishing with maggots thing
Hey, at least he cycles them through fish. Some hard core guys just fry 'em up.

Sarah mentioned beach music- here's a couple of sweeties who Love Beach Music.

I couldn't find a video of my favorite, Ruby Andrews "Footprints on the Ceiling"

Ha
Old 10-31-2008, 10:06 AM   #18
Gone but not forgotten

Welcome !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:19 AM   #19
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Welcome, Peebee, we call some of that music Beach (or Shag) Music here in the Carolinas, as it originated in beachfront concert halls around Myrtle Beach, SC. Ha and I both share a great love for it, as well as the Commitments, as it turns out! I love their version of Mustang Sally and I play the soundtrack all the time on my iPod, but it has been years since I've seen the movie.
Harley it is exactly like every band I've ever been around!

!!! Reading that made me have goose bumps! You just reminded me of some of the best times of my life. I was born & raised about 100 miles from Myrtle Beach and spent a LOT of time there. I love that area and remember it well. I really HATED it when I heard the Pavillion was going away. That whole area was like my 2nd home. I'm so glad I was at least able to introduce my 2 daughters to some of the great Grand Strand offerings when they were young. I love beach music! Now I'm all homesick, see what you've done?

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 02:05 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Marty, we took a trip up there right before the Pavilion was shut down, for old time's sakes. It was a lot of fun, we even stayed at the sorta dive-y Diplomat Hotel in keeping with our theme. We ate at Peaches and DH remembered getting his first beer there on a fake ID back in the day! The roller coaster was very rickety and scary, just like I remembered. We played skee ball and drove the strip.

Still fun to go up every now and again--we do a girls' trip in February each year to go shop the outlets and dance at Club 2001. Hilarious!

You are from the midstate? Nice. My parents are from Manning. You are a long way from home!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote