Join Early Retirement Today
Old 03-31-2013, 06:25 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.
You will be more than OK in retirement....just do it! I am semi-retired and there is no way in heck I would work full time again! Life is too short to keep working!

citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2013, 07:04 PM   #22
When I was 50 I had a lot more energy. I had also had cancer, and had had many friends die of that same cancer (people I met through an internet support group initially). I've now had even more crap happen to me that has wrecked my health in certain ways.

I gave notice 2 weeks after a close friend dropped dead at 67 but I was planning to retire around then anyhow. However, that death shocked me to the core.

You don't know what your health will be like but I'm sure it will be improved by being able to take it easy and garden and so on! But most importantly, retire while you still have the energy to take advantage of all that spare time and don't put off stuff you want to do. You will be amazed at how busy you can be if you want to, and how full your life can be in retirement.

The only activity-oriented advice I can give you is to try living on less money and make sure you won't miss the treats a lot of spending can provide. But don't wait too long Also read a lot of posts on this forum. They are really supportive of this kind of move.

I'm thrilled to be retired and doing a lot of traveling now while I have some energy for it. I never thought my health would be so compromised but it was. Go have fun.

Retired July 2, 2010 at 62. My only regret is that I couldn't do it sooner.
thinker25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:07 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Nice job saving all that again please...why did you save it?

Order and read the book DIE BROKE. Then you will know itis OK to retire.
"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and goes to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do" --Bob Dylan.
heeyy_joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:19 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by NoOneGetsIt View Post
Our spending will be in the 30-38k range.
$2 million liquid investments is more than enough to cover that level of after-tax spending. So you certainly appear to have sufficient capital to afford retirement, if you otherwise feel ready (I share John Galt's perception that you sound like you are panicking: probably just the very terse nature of your posts, though).

You might want to add the following title to your reading list: Dale Carnegie,How to Stop Worrying and Start Living. It is a bit dated but still contains some good advice.
"If at any times we must deal in extremes, then we prefer the quiet, good-natured hypocrite to the implacable, turbulent zealot of any kind. In plain terms, we are not so fond of any set of notions, as to think them more important than the peace of society". John Toland, The Description of Epsom (1711)
Milton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:43 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets
Thank you all so much!

Am loving reading...any others?
NoOneGetsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:05 PM   #26
Highly recommend - and I'm not being facetious! - reading The Wind in the Willows, Alice in Wonderland.... kids' books that don't tax the soul. And see if you can dial your anxiety down. Oh, also read the other three about finances.
Retired July 2, 2010 at 62. My only regret is that I couldn't do it sooner.
thinker25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:38 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets
$30-$38k on $2M? Dude, the dividends on the S&P would give you that without touching the principle! You can get 2.5%-2.7% dividends/interest in a nicely diversified stock/bond portfolio, now you're talking $50k before taxes! Your spending numbers are exactly in line with mine, and if I had $2M I would feel very confident to go....
(after 5:00 warning applies to this post, lol!)

When you walk in the shadow of insanity, the presence of another mind that thinks and acts as yours does is something close to a blessed event. -Robert Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
panhead is offline   Reply With Quote