Self-employed, looking at semi-retirement

catdance62

Dryer sheet aficionado
Hi all! I serendipitously found this board and am enjoying all the interesting threads.
I have been a self-employed tattoo artist for over 20 years, in my present location for 16+ years. I love what I do, but have been diligently planning my "semi-retirement" at age 50 for a while now. I am 46 now.
I love what I do, but dont' want to feel compelled to go to the shop on days I dont' feel like it, and want to enjoy my vacation home more. I have 3 artists that rent out space in my shop, providing me with income when I am not there.
Being self-employed means no company pension, so I set up my own portfolio when I was about 36 and set up auto-draft so it's like I wouldn't have to think about saving--it's automatic! My building is paid for, and so is our home. We have no children. My husband is also self-employed, and although little younger than me, is on the same semi-retirement track.
I am looking forward to participating in the board. Areas that I am interested in are HSAs (which we have), annuities (I moved 3/4 of my portfolio to them before the market crash, thank goodness), and low-risk portfolio options for the future. I also like tips on saving money on day-to-day living!

catdance, welcome to the forum!

It sounds like you and your husband have been planning well for a while now, and I hope you're well on the way to your semi-retirement. You might particularly enjoy reading Bob Clyatt's Work Less, Live More: The Way to Semi-Retirement.

I hope you find useful information here too, and look forward to your posts.

Welcome aboard!

Coach

Back
Top Bottom