Join Early Retirement Today

sell land now?
Old 07-08-2007, 09:01 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

sell land now?

Hello, I am new and have a question. My husband is 51, 32 years in at employer. I am 48 and a RN working part time. We have 50 acres tillable that we cash rent out. I think we should sell now and invest. Hubby thinks let it sit, it will be there later if we need to sell. He is wanting an early retirement and I think this is the answer as long as I keep working part time. He does have a 401 and will receive a pension.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2007, 09:07 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome Lynn.

We need more information to provide intelligent input on your question. Is the land zoned for agriculture? Does it have any other potential uses, like development? Is is near a growing urban centre, or at a very scenic location? What is the appraised value of the land now? What income does it generate?

Old 07-08-2007, 09:53 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Where is it and is it zoned ag or rh? We're in the market ;-)
Old 07-08-2007, 11:11 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Can you split it? Sell part and keep part.

Diversification!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 02:15 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Without answers I would say hang onto it. If you don't need the income and are happy with your ER timing, this is just a nice buffer that you can use in the future especially when your taxable income is lower.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:44 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I agree we need more info. If DH's 401k and pension will provide the cash flow needed for retirement, and the land has considerable potential for appreciation due to recreational, residential, or industrial (e.g. ethanol) development, I would suggest hanging tight for awhile.

But if neither of the above are true, I would monetize the land and invest the proceeds in a balanced couch potato investment portfolio. Agriculturally zoned land without imminent (next 10 years) development potential does not appreciate much above inflation.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:29 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Where is the land located? How much rent do you collect? What are the expenses (maintenance, property tax, etc)? How much do you think you could sell it for?
Old 07-10-2007, 03:27 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Also, your current expenses and your current 401k balance would also help us make suggestions. If your 401k already can cover your expenses (or is close), then that would make a large difference. Also, if the 50 acres is worth 5 million, that would also make a difference in your calculations.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:46 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn View Post
Hello, I am new and have a question. My husband is 51, 32 years in at employer. I am 48 and a RN working part time. We have 50 acres tillable that we cash rent out. I think we should sell now and invest. Hubby thinks let it sit, it will be there later if we need to sell. He is wanting an early retirement and I think this is the answer as long as I keep working part time. He does have a 401 and will receive a pension.
If this is high quality cropland and you are close enough to watch the harvest, be sure you get your shares, etc.- you will never get a better secure inflation adjusting return from any alternate investment. The farmer takes all the risk; the landowner gets a lot of the return.

I say keep it!

Ha ( who sold a farm some years ago and wished he hadn't.)