Semi-retirement

A part-time gig such as running a side business is easy. Sure, I have my own side business and it is part-time and pays well. However, you have to be continuously on top of it on a daily basis. Although it is better for my mental health than my cube farm job, it is a seven days a week commitment. Lots of opportunities out there, that is not my concern. Most p/t and particularly self employment gigs require ongoing commitment. It also means either get clients, merchandise or keep in contact with prospects or clients. It is always there in the background. And unlike my cube farm job, my p/t business comes to a grinding halt when I am not actively working on it.

If I have to choose between 50% p/t work and pay by still coming in every M-F, I would propably just take the full package with 100% pay. A 3 or 6 month commitment per year would be sweet though.... Since it is unlikely I will be getting such a deal any time soon, I think I will keep on riding the gravy train at the cube farm and work on the side until I can afford to say goodbye to all of it.

Vicky

vic said:
Since it is unlikely I will be getting such a deal any time soon, I think I will keep on riding the gravy train at the cube farm and work on the side until I can afford to say goodbye to all of it.
Vicky

There's a lot to be said for that - especially if the end is in sight!

Uncle, Sheryl and Nords, I have another trip coming up soon. Will meditate on all of this when I am gone. My inclination is to go another year but at a even a slower pace if I can hand off more work. There is one client's work I especially enjoy. Actually enjoy. As a practical matter, I can't just up and quit right now. It wil take me several months to wind out of the work.

Martha said:
Uncle, Sheryl and Nords, I have another trip coming up soon. Will meditate on all of this when I am gone. 
You would think that there'd be a way to keep doing the work for clients you enjoy while not having to do the work for clients you don't enjoy.  How is your law firm screening these billpayers anyway?  Is the structure of your law firm helping this ER transition or just getting in the way?

Well, when you catch up on sleep and get a few days' recreation, suddenly all these logical solutions start popping out of your subconscious.

Looks like you're moving from "whether" and "if" to "when" and "how"... rock on!

Back
Top Bottom