Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-09-2013, 09:22 AM   #21

I don't drive traffic for ads to my blog, I use it for writing things that are going on, and I only update it when I have something to say.
Trust me, there are lots of people who don't attempt to monetize their writing.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2013, 03:44 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I too am looking forward to your descriptions about living on that amount.

Hi there, Walt34 and Live and Learn...

Thank you (once more) for contributing responses to my original post.

Your replies expressed interest in more details on my $18,000 a year basic living budget and what kind of lifestyle that translates to. I'll definitely put that topic on my soon-to-write list. (I'll particularly pay attention to how I reduced my budget down to that $18K.) I'll send you both private messages when I get the post published.

In the meantime, you might get some idea of my budget's mechanics by searching this Forum for 2 of my previous posts: My FI Key: Separating Wants from Needs... or My FI Ducks Are All in a Row.

Thanks again for the topic idea,

Alex in Virginia

Old 11-10-2013, 04:00 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Got it - it's all about the traffic.

You want to use the E-R "discussion" forum as your blog site so you can leverage the readership to get visibility for your personal story. Too bad you can't run some ads to generate a little income.

You got it.

I figure, if my forum posts are interesting or thought-provoking they will get readers, elicit comments, generate useful conversation and be a positive contribution to the forum. On the other hand, I expect any of my posts that turns out to be a dud to quietly -- and quickly -- fade away from the forum's active pages.

I shall see, won't I?

Alex in Virginia

P.S.: "A little income" doesn't figure in it for me.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:36 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex in Virginia View Post
You got it.

I figure, if my forum posts are interesting or thought-provoking they will get readers, elicit comments, generate useful conversation and be a positive contribution to the forum. On the other hand, I expect any of my posts that turns out to be a dud to quietly -- and quickly -- fade away from the forum's active pages.

I shall see, won't I?

Alex in Virginia

P.S.: "A little income" doesn't figure in it for me.
And how exactly is this different from everyone else's posts?
Old 11-10-2013, 05:48 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
And how exactly is this different from everyone else's posts?

His posts are "special."

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:45 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hi Alex. Looking forward to hearing more, especially about your financial lifestyle philosophy. Please let's scratch the cats however ( pun intended). I am not a cat lover. For me cats are best enjoyed at a distance.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:01 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hello Alex. Welcome aboard.

I am interested in knowing how you are generating your passive income.

Thank you.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:15 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Yep.

Plus you wouldn't have others interrupting your blog with cat videos...
OMG that was hysterical ! who knew cats could talk
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:33 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Watching cat videos scratches my itch. You can never have enough cats, especially if somebody else is changing their litter boxes. More felinity! Oh, and how does somebody spend only $18K a year, and not live in a cramped apartment on govt assistance?

Amethyst
Old 11-11-2013, 12:37 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Watching cat videos scratches my itch. You can never have enough cats, especially if somebody else is changing their litter boxes. More felinity! Oh, and how does somebody spend only $18K a year, and not live in a cramped apartment on govt assistance?

Amethyst
Cat food?
Old 11-11-2013, 12:43 PM   #31
Administrator

Quote:
how does somebody spend only $18K a year, and not live in a cramped apartment on govt assistance?

Amethyst
I'm skeptical, but I guess we'll see what our new friend writes about that.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:04 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Cat food?
Spousal contribution of an equal amount?
Old 11-11-2013, 01:14 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi Alex,

Fellow Virginian here. And very interested in your thoughts and ideas - as I am of all the posters here. My vote would be to start with your $18K budget. That's frugal enough that I surmise it has the attention of most of us.

The only advice I'd offer is... just get to it. Spending time telling us what you're going to write about, sometime in the future, seems rather, well, less than frugal.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:20 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Oh, and how does somebody spend only $18K a year, and not live in a cramped apartment on govt assistance?

Amethyst
His numbers are for one person of a two person household, or $36K a year of total household expenses. This is slightly below the Consumer Expenditure Survey of households 65+, with an average of 1.7 consumer unit spending $39.2K per household annually -

http://www.bls.gov/cex/2011/Standard/age.pdf

And well below the $44.6K average expenses for age 65 - 75 year old households.

People in that age group in the U.S. usually do get significant government assistance in the form of Social Security and Medicare.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:28 PM   #35

Quote:
Watching cat videos scratches my itch. You can never have enough cats, especially if somebody else is changing their litter boxes. More felinity!
We homeschool our daughter (who is just about to graduate!) and just finished a communications course. Her final project was to do a presentation on something and she prepared a video on why we need to get another cat even though we have 4 already. I pointed out to her I might be more inclined to consider this if she did more to feed and clean litter boxes for the cats we already have....

Anyway back on topic....

I look forward to Alex's posts. FWIW I think the reason he mentioned his plans is that he is doing something different from the usual post. For most posts people are either asking a question or answering a question. There are exceptions, of course such as ongoing threads to post photos or what you do each day. Others occasionally post short informative posts or posts to generate a discussion without really having a question (I'm looking at you Midpack - this is not a complaint, BTW).

I think that what Alex is planning to do is more like a blog post with a longer post that is more informational. In informative blog posts (there are other kinds) the main post is that of the blogger who is usually imparting information to you rather than having a discussion with you. To be sure, most blogs have comments that create more of a discussion aspect but still most of the writing is that of the blogger.

(I don't have any problem with Alex doing his posts here, although I actually think a blog would be perfect for this. I understand the idea that he would have more of an audience here than on a new blog. That said, new blogs can develop readers over time....)
Old 11-11-2013, 01:31 PM   #36

Quote:
Oh, and how does somebody spend only $18K a year, and not live in a cramped apartment on govt assistance?

Amethyst
It's not too hard to do, I spend less than that. Single, no dependents, no mortgage, no debt.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:13 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
Hi Alex,

Fellow Virginian here. And very interested in your thoughts and ideas - as I am of all the posters here. My vote would be to start with your $18K budget. That's frugal enough that I surmise it has the attention of most of us.

The only advice I'd offer is... just get to it. Spending time telling us what you're going to write about, sometime in the future, seems rather, well, less than frugal.
I agree! Let us hear from you... --Nomad
Old 11-11-2013, 02:16 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Perhaps the OP wants to utilize this principle of public speaking:

Tell 'em what you're going to tell 'em
Tell 'em
Tell 'em what you told 'em

Old 11-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Perhaps the OP wants to utilize this principle of public speaking:

Tell 'em what you're going to tell 'em
Tell 'em
Tell 'em what you told 'em

I can handle that. I use the three"B's " --

Be brief
Be bright
Be gone

Let's hear it Alex!

--Nomad
Old 11-11-2013, 02:22 PM   #40

Quote:

Amethyst
I expect his wife gives him a good deal on the modest house he shares with her, with few fears on his rent being put up well above cost.

Sort of like walking on a high wire with a safety net. I can't remember if his wife is still working or not.

Tags
financial independence, frugal living, passive income, retirement, retirement lifestyle