Join Early Retirement Today

Replying to include Portfolio link for comments
Old 04-29-2019, 09:02 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Replying to include Portfolio link for comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
If you post the link to your shared portfolio at M*, that would probably be sufficient.

I mentioned in your other thread that consolidation will help. You have about 35-40 positions in mutuals, etc.

M* says your E/R is .75, so I'd like to point out the possibility of consolidating high expense funds into low expense ETFs or funds. You may be able to re-capture .50 of expenses. That will be quite a bit of money over the next 10-20 years.

Good fortune to you.

Hi, i wasn't sure if i should start a new thread but in any event per your suggestion linked my updated portfolio holdings from M* - It is a view that consolidates tax-deferred (2 accounts) and Taxable in one view, so part of the reason there are as many positions as shown is the fact that there are three different brokerage accounts reflected/represented. Probably should have explained that originally. Anyway, would welcome any thoughts on the current allocation! Much appreciated, Mike
mikes425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2019, 10:28 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes425 View Post

Hi, i wasn't sure if i should start a new thread but in any event per your suggestion linked my updated portfolio holdings from M* - It is a view that consolidates tax-deferred (2 accounts) and Taxable in one view, so part of the reason there are as many positions as shown is the fact that there are three different brokerage accounts reflected/represented. Probably should have explained that originally. Anyway, would welcome any thoughts on the current allocation! Much appreciated, Mike
Are all three accounts managed by FA? What is annual fee percentage paid to FA?
Since this forum has a majority of DIY investors, you'll get similar advice as from Bogleheads or M*. You have three investing spaces (what I call them) and more than 35 investments. 2-3 investments per space will get the job done. Since you're paying for advice with FA, what advice are you looking for here?
As I mentioned, simplifying while getting free of high expense funds will put more of the returns in your pocket.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 02:03 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Are all three accounts managed by FA? What is annual fee percentage paid to FA?
Since this forum has a majority of DIY investors, you'll get similar advice as from Bogleheads or M*. You have three investing spaces (what I call them) and more than 35 investments. 2-3 investments per space will get the job done. Since you're paying for advice with FA, what advice are you looking for here?
As I mentioned, simplifying while getting free of high expense funds will put more of the returns in your pocket.

The three accounts are managed in collaboration with the FA whom I just review things with a few times a year, entirely hourly-basis...no commission/fee attached. I just wanted to clarify that when you point out '35 investments' that they are not all in the same account, but that is the cumulative total that exists across three different accounts. There are holdings that are in tax-deferred but not taxable account for a strategic reason. I get the simplification to modify ER but I guess I don't see .75 % overall as necessarily extreme -again in part given that i have no AUM expense in working with an hourly advisor for a fraction of what that cost would be.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:05 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Your first sentence says to me that you meet a few times a year with your FA and do not pay a commission or fee. But it also may be that you pay hourly. Whatever you call the payment, it is part of your expense ratio.
Most discussions like this one, at E-r.org, eventually contain one reference to expected real return of 4% for typical investor. If that is true, continuing with your expenses of . 75 means you give up about 19% of real return each year.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:17 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

What caught my attention about your portfolio is this:

1-Yr Return 0.67%
Old 04-30-2019, 12:05 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
What caught my attention about your portfolio is this:

1-Yr Return 0.67%
Something's wrong with that chart. According to PersonalCapital performance YTD is 11.86%. Per Brokerage Info, Returns for the total portfolio are
10.2% YTD,
4.45% 1-year,
7.03% 3-year
5.38% 5-year

M* portfolio functionality is majorly dysfunctional in my experience. Have to check that out and see what it's miscalculating or what data is missing for proper calc.