Join Early Retirement Today

So close and yet so lost...:(
Old 06-17-2013, 10:57 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

So close and yet so lost...:(

Hi All,

I have been a long time lurker and have finally decided to post.

I have to thank all you for keeping me motivated and getting me through the work day for the past few years.

So, here is my dilemma. I am 33, single, no kids and renting. I have 25k debt (I financed a car recently). I currently have a job that pays in the low 6 figures, but I just hate having a boss and more importantly it is a desk job that involves staring at a computer all day long and I can see my eyes and health going down the tubes bit by but every year.

Luckily, a few years ago, I got into trading and have come up with a way to reliably return 10-15% every year. I have a bit over 500k in my trading account and I have enough to cover all my expenses and save on the interest alone. So, technically I think I can retire.

But, for some reason I have this fear in me that I will be letting go of something tried and tested and it pays 6 figures with benefits etc. Am I just a whining little b**** to let go of such a good thing for just 50k a year? Sometimes I feel like I should just quit but at other times I feel like I have to hang in there for a while longer...maybe until I pay of the car? Also, what will I do with my time...will I just become a couch potato and vegetate till death arrives?

All these thoughts are clouding my judgement now that I have a choice to quit and I can't trust myself to think clearly on this topic anymore. So, I have come to this board for some advice and much needed guidance. Please help me think rationally and come up with the best decision.
Snoopy80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2013, 11:15 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Won't your trading account soon be returning six figures too? Why don't you just wait til then?
Old 06-17-2013, 11:28 AM   #3
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hi Bestwifeever...that is quiet a name!

Yes, you are right...but that would take a couple of more years...and things at work are going from bad to worse. I am not sure if I can hang in there for 2 more years...the only reason(s) I am still working is because I feel like I owe my team something, see the current project through. And, the fear of the unknown...though one side of me feels free just thinking about walking away.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:33 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy80 View Post
Luckily, a few years ago, I got into trading and have come up with a way to reliably return 10-15% every year.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:42 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Also, what will I do with my time...will I just become a couch potato and vegetate till death arrives?

All these thoughts are clouding my judgement now that I have a choice to quit and I can't trust myself to think clearly on this topic anymore. So, I have come to this board for some advice and much needed guidance. Please help me think rationally and come up with the best decision.
First off, figure out what you want to do with your life. If you don't have other things you want to do, there's a lot less reasons to quit. Are there exercise classes you want to do? Hobbies? Or are you too depressed to care?

As far as the decision, you need to make sure you're taking everything into account. Health Care? Huge emergency/living fund if your investments have an off year?

It's a hard decision to make. That's why everyone talks about the OMY (one more year) syndrome.
meekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:45 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Luckily, a few years ago, I got into trading and have come up with a way to reliably return 10-15% every year.
Please share it!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:54 AM   #7
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by meekie View Post
First off, figure out what you want to do with your life. If you don't have other things you want to do, there's a lot less reasons to quit. Are there exercise classes you want to do? Hobbies? Or are you too depressed to care?

As far as the decision, you need to make sure you're taking everything into account. Health Care? Huge emergency/living fund if your investments have an off year?

It's a hard decision to make. That's why everyone talks about the OMY (one more year) syndrome.
Thanks for the reply,

I am not depressed...just confused and kinda in a funk because I seem to have a lot of fear about the unknown.

I'd like to spend more time with my father and travel with him especially since he had a heart attack a few years ago, this was something I have been planning to do as a kind of father-son bonding thing you know. Besides that I have no real passions or motivating force to do anything else.

And..the OMY syndrome sounds scary...sounds like something I would easily slip into.

Thanks for your replies!
Old 06-17-2013, 11:58 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Hi Bestwifeever...that is quiet a name!

Yes, you are right...but that would take a couple of more years...and things at work are going from bad to worse. I am not sure if I can hang in there for 2 more years...the only reason(s) I am still working is because I feel like I owe my team something, see the current project through. And, the fear of the unknown...though one side of me feels free just thinking about walking away.
Then I would look for another job, which people your age do all the time, but I am going to bet you probably have a good reason why that is not an option either. I would certainly not stay because I owed it to other employees. The project would survive without you too.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:10 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Hi All,
....Luckily, a few years ago, I got into trading and have come up with a way to reliably return 10-15% every year.....
Gee, I wish I had thought of that.

Calico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:55 PM   #10
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Please share it!
Oh no, can't do that.

I am well aware of how the community views traders. We already have one, on this thread, with a bag of popcorn and a kitty with the gift of sarcasm!

So, how does one avoid the 'One More Year' syndrome?
Old 06-17-2013, 01:19 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Read this and let us know if you have questions...http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ome-20091.html

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:23 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Easy. Since you've apparently invented the financial perpetual motion machine you can quit work now, spend less than 10% of your portfolio per year, and with a "reliable 10-15% return every year" you'll never run out of money!
Old 06-17-2013, 01:33 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I think the one more year syndrome is telling you something: you're not confident that your 10-15% returns are that reliable.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:04 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I think you are having a mid life crisis younger than most...

Since you have seen others when the popcorn comes out.... I will state is plain and simple.... there is NO WAY you have a way of making 10% to 15% reliably... year in, year out... no fear of losing your shirt...

Some of the smartest people around have tried to do it (and said they could) until something unexpected happened and they had to be bailed out...

Then again, maybe you are loan sharking and are making it..... but I think you could do better than what you say....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:06 PM   #16
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Read this and let us know if you have questions...http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ome-20091.html
Thank you Midpack,

This helped clear things up a bit.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:26 PM   #17

Quote:

Thank you Midpack,

This helped clear things up a bit.
If I could make 10 to 15% a year on $500k I'd ER right now.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:01 PM   #18
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Easy. Since you've apparently invented the financial perpetual motion machine you can quit work now, spend less than 10% of your portfolio per year, and with a "reliable 10-15% return every year" you'll never run out of money!
I'm just hoping the OP isn't about to pitch Forex trading as a sure fire way of reliable, big returns I've seen this one too many times on financial boards. Hope that's not the case
CDN_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:37 PM   #19
Administrator

Quote:
Snoopy:

I do not doubt your sincerity, but I would really caution you against confusing a successful trading system with a bull market. You say you discovered a trading system "a few years ago". I could say the same, but I have made over 23% each year for the past four and one-quarter years. I simply bought the S&P 500 index ETF -- SPY -- on March 9, 2009, at $68.20 and have held it ever since. At today's close of $163.90, that is an annualized return of 22.9%, not including dividends.

I think FIREd has it close to right. You understand that the investing environment going forward may look different than that which we have enjoyed for the past few years. Hence the "one more year" syndrome regarding your employment.

Best wishes in both life and investing,

Gumby
Old 06-17-2013, 07:30 PM   #20
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Snoopy:

I do not doubt your sincerity, but I would really caution you against confusing a successful trading system with a bull market. You say you discovered a trading system "a few years ago". I could say the same, but I have made over 23% each year for the past four and one-quarter years. I simply bought the S&P 500 index ETF -- SPY -- on March 9, 2009, at $68.20 and have held it ever since. At today's close of $163.90, that is an annualized return of 22.9%, not including dividends.

I think FIREd has it close to right. You understand that the investing environment going forward may look different than that which we have enjoyed for the past few years. Hence the "one more year" syndrome regarding your employment.

Best wishes in both life and investing,

Gumby
Yes Gumby, thanks for that explanation. I never thought about it being perceived that way...but thanks for the clarification.