Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2014, 12:57 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAndFree View Post
Welcome longranger, from another recent SoCal FIRE'd couple (@48/55)



Wondering if days like today make you 100% certain it makes sense.

Hey RetiredAndFree - It makes sense, but does it make cent$
We've spent the week at Disneyland and already rode every ride possible for my kids, height permitting. The weather is nice, no question about it and the Midwest had another rough winter. I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around the 3-4x real estate cost, but I'm not ready to retire yet either.... silly me at age 45.
__________________

__________________
Aiming_4_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2014, 08:33 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Laguna Hills
Posts: 137
Aiming_4_55 the cost of living issues just begin with higher real estate costs. That triggers a painful property tax bill to compliment our high state income and sales taxes. Gas is expensive, traffic is severe and local salaries job for job are often low due to our desirable weather.

Even with all of those financial negatives many Californians want to stay put because of the beautiful climate and proximity to ocean, mountains and relaxed outdoor lifestyle. If my finances at the time of fire are padded enough I may try staying in California but not before checking out other areas of our wonderful country first.
__________________

__________________
longranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:54 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by longranger View Post
Aiming_4_55 the cost of living issues just begin with higher real estate costs. That triggers a painful property tax bill to compliment our high state income and sales taxes. Gas is expensive, traffic is severe and local salaries job for job are often low due to our desirable weather.

Even with all of those financial negatives many Californians want to stay put because of the beautiful climate and proximity to ocean, mountains and relaxed outdoor lifestyle. If my finances at the time of fire are padded enough I may try staying in California but not before checking out other areas of our wonderful country first.
I think if you can figure out a way to minimize your taxes and get housing figured out, it doesn't cost too much to live in California compared to many other metro areas of the U.S.. Even within California there are many areas that are not very expensive, like Sacramento. For example, Portland is actually more expensive than Sacramento -

Cost of Living Comparison: compare Sacramento, California to Portland, Oregon

Lower housing costs outside a major metro area (even just an hour out can sometimes really lower prices) may help lower your overall annual expenses, which in turn means you may not have to realize as much of your net worth as taxable income, which in turn lowers your state and federal taxes.

A house outside the commute zone would with a lower price would also lower your property taxes and from then on you'd be covered by Prop 13.
__________________
daylatedollarshort is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:30 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.
CaliforniaMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: San Diego
Posts: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
I think if you can figure out a way to minimize your taxes and get housing figured out, it doesn't cost too much to live in California compared to many other metro areas of the U.S.. Even within California there are many areas that are not very expensive, like Sacramento. For example, Portland is actually more expensive than Sacramento -

Cost of Living Comparison: compare Sacramento, California to Portland, Oregon

Lower housing costs outside a major metro area (even just an hour out can sometimes really lower prices) may help lower your overall annual expenses, which in turn means you may not have to realize as much of your net worth as taxable income, which in turn lowers your state and federal taxes.
There are some very large differences in real estate prices, taxes etc in north San Diego county. Just 5 miles inland from the ocean there are some very affordable homes in nice neighborhoods. My wife and I actually prefer the weather 4 or 5 miles inland, where we still get the great weather but miss out on the persistent coastal clouds during much of the year, and in general get a lot more sunny days.

We love to travel and spending some time living abroad, but I cannot think of another place in the world for a nicer home base then areas around San Diego. However, you do have to spend some time looking for value. But the proximity of the deserts, mountains, skiing, beaches, goings on in LA, nearness to Las Vegas, Southern Utah (my second favorite place), Mexico, and so much more. Near enough to LA, but far enough away too. And you really cannot beat the weather. We spend much of the year outside, breakfast on our patio watching the humming birds, summer, winter spring and fall. Lots of good outdoor activities.

Sorry to sound so provincial, but I do love it here.
__________________
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily,
Life is but a dream.
CaliforniaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:34 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Laguna Hills
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaMan View Post
There are some very large differences in real estate prices, taxes etc in north San Diego county. Just 5 miles inland from the ocean there are some very affordable homes in nice neighborhoods. My wife and I actually prefer the weather 4 or 5 miles inland, where we still get the great weather but miss out on the persistent coastal clouds during much of the year, and in general get a lot more sunny days.

We love to travel and spending some time living abroad, but I cannot think of another place in the world for a nicer home base then areas around San Diego. However, you do have to spend some time looking for value. But the proximity of the deserts, mountains, skiing, beaches, goings on in LA, nearness to Las Vegas, Southern Utah (my second favorite place), Mexico, and so much more. Near enough to LA, but far enough away too. And you really cannot beat the weather. We spend much of the year outside, breakfast on our patio watching the humming birds, summer, winter spring and fall. Lots of good outdoor activities.

Sorry to sound so provincial, but I do love it here.

I hear you Californiaman. Been here for 30 years and take the positives for granted. Inland of San Diego, particularly the Vista and Fallbrook areas have some great value. On the other hand if you compare that value to similar homes in Las vegas or Many nice areas in Florida, states with much more favorable tax profiles, CA still looks expensive.

All that said staying here would be ideal for me too as long as my budget will still allow me to travel, spoil family a little and enjoy the great activities this area has to offer. In a weird way it reminds me of car shopping in my 30s. It seemed essential to buy a vehicle that could do all the things the minivan kid mover did for the rare days my van was being serviced. In retrospect a fun car with better MPG or something sporty would have been better for me. Don't want to make a similar mistake in choosing the best place for my home base in retirement.
__________________
longranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:10 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 5,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaMan View Post
There are some very large differences in real estate prices, taxes etc in north San Diego county. Just 5 miles inland from the ocean there are some very affordable homes in nice neighborhoods. My wife and I actually prefer the weather 4 or 5 miles inland, where we still get the great weather but miss out on the persistent coastal clouds during much of the year, and in general get a lot more sunny days.

We love to travel and spending some time living abroad, but I cannot think of another place in the world for a nicer home base then areas around San Diego. However, you do have to spend some time looking for value. But the proximity of the deserts, mountains, skiing, beaches, goings on in LA, nearness to Las Vegas, Southern Utah (my second favorite place), Mexico, and so much more. Near enough to LA, but far enough away too. And you really cannot beat the weather. We spend much of the year outside, breakfast on our patio watching the humming birds, summer, winter spring and fall. Lots of good outdoor activities.

Sorry to sound so provincial, but I do love it here.
+1 on San Diego. It is one of our favorite vacation spots. It is definitely on our potential list of places to check out. North of San Francisco is also beautiful but from looking at Redfin the area you mention would have less crazy real estate prices.
__________________

__________________
daylatedollarshort is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
38 in SoCal, not sure how to make ER a possibility dvalley Hi, I am... 75 10-02-2017 12:18 PM
Another FIRE wannabe popcorn Hi, I am... 4 06-11-2012 11:55 AM
Hi from SoCal U1964 Hi, I am... 0 04-02-2010 01:46 PM
57yr old FIRE wannabe... Patsweb Hi, I am... 32 05-17-2009 10:04 AM
Tony from SoCal newporttony Hi, I am... 5 07-04-2008 11:05 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:50 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.