Software Engineer with an offering submitted for your approval!

What is AIME?

On the Average Monthly Cashflow (distrib. phase)...I entered fictional numbers of $3000 passive income and $4000 expenses...and it shows a total of $7000 (whereas shouldn't it be income less expenses, 3000-4000= -1000?)

Here's a link to AIME:

Average Indexed Monthly Earnings - AIME Definition | Investopedia

Note that expenses are entered as a "monthly" value, and income is annual. If I enter $4000 in monthly expenses and $3000 annual passive income, I get an average monthly cash flow deficit of -$3750 per month. I'm not sure how you got a $7000?

Nice start to a comprehensive tabulation, but in our case it is very limited for showing the types of income we have with sub-s corp, rental, and pensions in payout. I assume all will develop to allow entry of actual pension payouts, but there is no way to track other debts, such as investment leveraged LOC, or show such details driving actual tax advantaged income. Thanks for sharing!

Nice start to a comprehensive tabulation, but in our case it is very limited for showing the types of income we have with sub-s corp, rental, and pensions in payout. I assume all will develop to allow entry of actual pension payouts, but there is no way to track other debts, such as investment leveraged LOC, or show such details driving actual tax advantaged income. Thanks for sharing!

I have thought about margin accounts and rental income. I'm curious as to how commonly either are actually employed by retirees? I do have debt modeled, but it is basic and only used to prevent insolvency waiting for income sources to become available (i.e. before age 59 1/2). It is completely paid down when the funds are available and cannot be used to invest on margin.

I do support self-employment income which will calculate self-employment taxes correctly. Is there something specific you are looking for as it pertains to an s-corp? The various types of retirement accounts which can be funded with self-employment income are modeled as well (SEP/SIMPLE/Solo 401K). Business owners have a lot of advantages as far as retirement goes, but my gut feel is there would be too many variables in modeling all the different ways that transition could play out.

The percentage of gains which are considered long term versus short term is table-driven and based on the "Investment Strategy" parameter but hidden from the user.

There is a parameter called "Additional Retirement Income" which can model a basic pension. Agreed this needs to be developed into something more flexible.

Thanks for the review!

OK gang, version 2017.0423 is posted. It incorporates some of the feedback items from this thread. The mortgage calculator is cleaned up. There is a second page to the Setup process now which includes helpful information needed prior to interacting directly with the workbook. That should demystify it a bit for beginners.

Last time I tried this, I was able to paste in employer income from a list I have elsewhere. Can't do that now. This is on the Income tab.

Last time I tried this, I was able to paste in employer income from a list I have elsewhere. Can't do that now. This is on the Income tab.

Pasting from a second workbook can be a pain. When you have the other workbook open, hide the formula bar (View/Formula Bar). Then copy. Then when you CTRL-TAB over to the Retireator workbook, you should be able to paste any cells from the clipboard. Also it is always better to "Paste Special/Paste Values" or you might rip up the formatting on the Retireator worksheet. Copy and paste is one of the uglier things to deal with in a project like this, surprisingly.

Also don't overlook the "Import" feature in Setup. You can import your data from any previous Retireator version including the March release.

Back
Top Bottom