Join Early Retirement Today

Soon to be E-R folks- DC area
Old 03-12-2004, 07:00 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Soon to be E-R folks- DC area

My name is Jack Speer. I'm the business correspondent for National Public Radio in Washington, DC. I'm currently working on a story on why jobs are vanishing in the economy and one factor I want to examine is if the number of people opting out of the workforce, through early retirement might be a factor. If you are contemplating leaving the workforce early because you are financially comfortable and live in or near Washington, DC perhaps we could talk. My e-mail is jspeer@npr.org.

Thank You!
jack_speer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Soon to be E-R folks- DC area
Old 03-12-2004, 08:11 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've noticed that there are at least 5 classes of ER represented here:

1) Planned to ER all along (relatively rare)

2) Came to the realization one day that they no longer needed to work (like me!)

3) Opted to take a company pension buy-out offer

4) Involuntarily ER'd

5) John Galt

I think only (3) and (4) represent any sort of trend of the last few years, but I'd be surprised if the numbers are significant.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 12:29 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I was a 4. and then a 2. when -duh!- the light bulb came on.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 12:52 PM   #4
Early-Retirement.org Founder
Developer of FIRECalc

Hope you find useful contacts, Jack.

I'm guessing, as Wabmester suggested, that there aren't enough people in the early retirement category to be meaningful. For one thing, we are misfits, statistically. Intercst did a semi-scientific survey of personality types and found that those who were or wanted to be retired early were among the personality types that make up a very tiny percentage of the population. See http://www.retireearlyhomepage.com/mbti.html.

For example, the MBTI type INTP encompasses only 1% of the general population, but 15% of the ERs. There are tons of similar bits of info at the linked page.

I was a 2, btw.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
dory36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 01:11 PM   #5

I had (1) in the back of my mind and jumped on (3)
when it happened in '89.

Charlie
charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 01:22 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I always wanted to (1) but had no real plans, then a stock market windfall and a somewhat (3) when the company offered a years pay, bonuses and six months healthcare for anyone that wanted to bug out.

That and the company stock falling 75% meant I'd be working for salary instead of mid six figure incomes made it an easy decision. I figured I could at least live on the years pay and see how I liked being a bum and if I did, I'd try to figure out how to keep doing it. I did and I did.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 11:09 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I've been planning since I was 21 and at the ripe old age of 26 it's depressing to think that ER's still so far away...

Old 03-15-2004, 04:30 PM   #8

Count us as a 4. Husband laid off every other year since 1996 after being involuntarily retired from DOD after base closings. One IT job after another. After the last one we had our kids raised and the house paid off and gave up careers. We both have fun part time jobs (bartending and tutoring) with a lot of time off. It seems to be working well, but so far less than a year into ER.
Old 03-15-2004, 06:41 PM   #9

Wabmester's ER Categories:
2) Came to the realization one day that they no longer needed to work (like me!)
3) Opted to take a company pension buy-out offer
4) Involuntarily ER'd
5) John Galt

This is a pretty good list, but some people are probably more of a hybrid, like me. I worked for years -- living a relatively frugal lifestyle and investing, but without giving retirement a thought. It looked like I was destined to become a category 2 ER. Then one day I figured out that if I worked at it for about 5 years I could get out (category 1). I got caught in the stock crash of 2000 and ended up working almost 7 more years. Then just before I was going to retire, I got an involuntary severance (category 4). I actually knew that involuntary layoffs were coming and had to negotiate to get picked, so it was really a voluntary involuntary package (category 3). I have never been John Galt.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 02:32 AM   #10

Thanks for putting me in a class by myself
(most appropriate). Re. salaryguru's "I have never been John Galt", nor will you be. Not only can there
only be one of me, but I think the world's citizens mostly
prefer it that way, If for different reasons

John Galt
Old 03-16-2004, 09:17 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Maybe my daughter is a number 1. When she went to her first job interview, she was asked her longterm goals, and she said to retire. Luckily she was being interviewed by engineers who thought it was pretty funny. She's an INTJ.

I may have influenced her because I was figuring out how to retire early and had been at it for several years (the FI part). I'm INTJ, too.

arrete
arrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 10:03 AM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm a (1). I just came home for lunch after attending a two hour staff meeting which was held an hour and a half away from my office. Our boss (a real pinhead) told us we'll be having these much more regularly, so I am infinitely grateful that I started planning an exit 13 years ago. If I thought I had to continue this for another 10 years, I don't think I could take it. Only a few months to go - I hope.
Bob_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 01:55 PM   #13

I was definitely a (1) -- from the first office job I ever had I realized that work basically blew. It wasn't till I read Paul Terhorst's book, 15 years ago, that I realized ER could be done, though. I thought of ER like "graduation" -- if you work hard and get good 'grades' you get to go on to the rest of your life!