Join Early Retirement Today

Soon to be retired in Colorado
Old 09-15-2007, 12:00 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Soon to be retired in Colorado

I am planning full retirement in March of 2008. My question is tax related pertaining to what accounts to tap into and in what order. Not sure if there is a simple rule, but we will need to withdraw approximately $3000 per month. We have a non-retirement account, Traditional IRA's, Roth IRA, and 401K. Do we need to look at tapping into the accounts that have the least capital gains or is that significant? I understand that everything but the Roth will be taxable as ordinary income, but I am confused about how the gains are taxed. Any input will be greatly appreciated.
udenmkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2007, 12:57 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Typically, experts recommend using taxable accounts first, then 401Ks/IRAs, and finally Roth IRAs. They want people to let their tax-deferred accounts compound as long as possible, and the reason why the Roth should be the last account to be touched is mostly for estate planning reasons as I understand it (your heirs won't have to pay taxes on an inherited Roth, but they will have to on a inherited IRA).
However, this might not be the most suitable order for your particular situation.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 01:05 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations and welcome to the board

We plan on retiring to Colorado too.

Capital gains within a 401(k) aren't really a consideration but those in the taxable accounts. I don't think that the lower capital gains tax will be renewed so I am keeping this in mind. Also, because I am going to be taking money out through a 72(t), I will have to pull some funds from my IRAs. You don't mention your age, it will impact how you withdraw your money.

Anyway, good luck and welcome.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:47 AM   #4

I am less than 6 months before early retirement - need some advise on how to stay focused on work during these last months. My patience is pretty much gone and knowing I am a short timer, having difficulty staying engaged. Any advise would be appreciated.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:49 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by udenmkh View Post
I am less than 6 months before early retirement - need some advise on how to stay focused on work during these last months. My patience is pretty much gone and knowing I am a short timer, having difficulty staying engaged. Any advise would be appreciated.
I think every about-to-be-retiree goes through this...I know I did. I found it best to try to concentrate on the tasks that needed to be done today and ignore the stuff that was long term (i.e., past my last day!) So, for example, I continued to work on current budget stuff, but not on the next year's budget planning. Also, I spent a lot of time purging files, dumping old notes, writing instructions for whoever was going to inherit my work, cleaning email folders, etc. Each day I tried to do one such "personal" task that got me closer to my retirement date. And I tried to keep my own counsel -- I learned that my soon-to-be-ex-co-workers really didn't share my joy about my impending freedom!
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 09:06 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Six months out is a good place to be. Despite the perceived long time until retirement 6 months is really not all that long considering how long it has taken to get to where you are now. Focus on your w*rk and getting all your ducks lined up and put to bed. You will be able to leave with a feeling of closure which will help you in your post-retirement transition period. Focus on what you want to do in the days and weeks after retirement. Keep busy so you don't dwell on the time left to retire.

It is a tough time; much like the month before Christmas for a kid. I even made a calendar with days I could mark off for the final 3 months of w*rk. The last 2 weeks are tough as you want it all to be over but you still have work-related responsibilities so I held off cleaning out files until then to keep my mind busy and to remove me from some of the office activities because I was occupied with cleaning out my desk. The last day will be great! You are done and the smile on your face will be huge.

Hang in there and keep your nose to the grindstone...you are getting closer all the time.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:32 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

udenmkh, check out the "Best of Boards" Forum. There's some good advise in there on your question. Good luck. I'll be hanging it up about the same general time period.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:42 PM   #8

Thanks - good words of wisdom from all of you. Thanks.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:20 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Welcome! Do what I did the last 6 months(actually the last 2 years), I clicked onto this website several times a day.