Soon to retire, on 3-year phase out

CJINTHED

Confused about dryer sheets
Having been prompted by MichaelB to post here, I am 66, full career (since age 30) in academe, recently re-married, and I just (in Feb) opted to start phased retirement from my school. This means I will have 1/2 salary paid out over the full (academic) pay cycle, and will teach only in fall 2016, then fall 2017 and finally fall 2018, with retirement to begin as of Aug 2019. I have the option in between any year to choose full retirement (hence, end the phased part) and cease teaching altogether.
I selected this option, on one hand, because I have nearly reached the end of my enthusiasm for my job responsibilities and the institutional decisions that impact my job, so this seems like a good time; and on the other hand, because my wife is not ready to retire (she is 61), so I would like to continue to earn and not dip into retirement funds, nor start Soc Sec, until such a time as we can sync our schedules and goals.
I don't have any specific questions at the moment; I joined the site in order to respond to a specific forum.

Sounds like a good plan. A 3 year "easy" plan where you only work 4 months a year for the next 3 years.

Pretty cool!

Back
Top Bottom