Standing at airplane door... will someone PLEASE check my parachute?

.......... Wondering why I am so scared....
Because like jumping from a plane, it is a one way trip and it goes against our basic instincts of continuing to do what has worked well in the past. It is normal to worry, but most of us here have adjusted. Those that didn't are on the Late Retirement Forum. :D

Because like jumping from a plane, it is a one way trip and it goes against our basic instincts of continuing to do what has worked well in the past. It is normal to worry, but most of us here have adjusted. Those that didn't are on the Late Retirement Forum. :D

Good point Travelover... Instinct and habit after years of the same cycle. I think moving from amassing ER savings to actually spending it will be a difficult action for me:(
But I think I will find a way to make that happen :)

Looks like you are ready to rock to me!
I'm of similar age and the Megacorp hit the ER button for me so to speak. Biggest adjustment has been I had 60 days to prepare myself for what lies head. If you are emotionally ready I do hit hit the ER button. Financially you are set IMHO!

That must be one nice condo. : ) Good for you...

Looks like you are ready to rock to me!
I'm of similar age and the Megacorp hit the ER button for me so to speak. Biggest adjustment has been I had 60 days to prepare myself for what lies head. If you are emotionally ready I do hit hit the ER button. Financially you are set IMHO!

That must be one nice condo. : ) Good for you...

Thanks supernova72...
I appreciate the words of encouragement and support. I am sure it wasn't any easier being GIVEN a date vs. deciding on one and then actually doing it.

THANKS

Update... So one year to the day from my original post, I resigned. My official Retirement Day is March 2nd. I fell into the OMY trap for exactly OMY. I couldn't have done it without the kind, smart folks who were willing to share on this site. Thank you all for you knowledge and wisdom. I am still a little apprehensive and today I have a touch of "Oh Crap, what have I done", but I am sure it will be fine. Thanks again!

Congrats! I'm right behind you. That's a long way down. I need to get my nerve up too. Maybe someone behind can push. :)

The chute looks good. Most likely it will open and you will have a safe landing. A few wire and trees on the way down to avoid, but certainly do-able.

You can wait for another lap and jump on the next go-around, but no guarantees we will make that either. The Airplane doesn't have a fuel gauge and although statistically there is a high-likelihood we can make the next lap, if we do not there is no getting out at that time. Your time will be up and we crash to the ground.

Good luck!

Looks like you're well prepared for a bump in life style! The only thing I'd look into is long term care insurance...or not.

The chute looks good. Most likely it will open and you will have a safe landing. A few wire and trees on the way down to avoid, but certainly do-able.

You can wait for another lap and jump on the next go-around, but no guarantees we will make that either. The Airplane doesn't have a fuel gauge and although statistically there is a high-likelihood we can make the next lap, if we do not there is no getting out at that time. Your time will be up and we crash to the ground.

Good luck!

Thanks Senator, No more go-arounds for me... Life really is just too short isn't it? Hopefully the main chute holds air for a long ride and if not I have the "discount" emergency chute I can pull. Not as comfortable a ride, but will stop the broken bones. It will work one way or another. :)

Grats, and given the market returns of the past 12 months, you're probably in about 10-15% better shape than your original numbers, and one year less to cover till MC/SS so, just coast these next 5 weeks and then take a nice trip on 3/3!

If you were ready last year, yeah - you should be golden by now! Just keep 'er steady if we hit turbulence. Stay afloat until you hit that SS/Pension landing zone.

Back
Top Bottom