Join Early Retirement Today
Old 10-24-2008, 05:19 PM   #21
Confused about dryer sheets
BTW - stock now down to .76 cents o)

DavidAz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2008, 05:31 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 06:51 PM   #23
Dryer sheet aficionado
>>surprised with the cost of the health care ($840) for full family low deduct policy including dental

that is surprisingly low. I pay $750/year for dental alone, for spouse and self (40% coverage, no maximum). Vision coverage is another $250 (one exam per year, $130.00 every 2 years toward a pair of glasses or contacts for each of us). In addition, health/hospitalization insurance is $2600 a year for a basic plan, prescriptions $65.00 each (non-generic). And, that's the cheapest plan I can get. I didn't realize private-sector health benefits were better than my Federal govt/DoD.
Recycle practically everything.
Own2Feet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 09:38 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.
Congrats and best wishes, David. The company I work for still offers a lump-sum settlement which causes prospective retirees a ton of indecision. The instructor at a recent "late career planning" seminar told us the single most asked question she gets is whether to take the guaranteed monthly annuity or the lump sum. Her answer is "tell me when you're going to die and I'll tell you which to choose." LOL!!!
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 12:51 PM   #25
Dryer sheet wannabe
My DH retired at 61 in 1999. We had to pay into the state High Risk plan for health insurance, no dental, no eyeglasses, and a $2,500 annual deductible apiece. It did have some drug coverage. Can't remember if the drug deductible was in addition to the $2,500 medical deduction. We had no kids at home.

Our insurance payments went higher and higher every year, over $1,900 a quarter for each of us when we finally got Medicare. (I was two years behind DH on that, and he really celebrated when I got Medicare!) I have always said that medical insurance is the only reason to work for someone else. We had no income other than
dividends during those years. It was still 100% better than the job he left at any price. Live Below Your Means and if you can be happy that way, GET OUT. The only time we had a pang about it was when we wrote those insurance checks! Four pangs a year, of about 2 seconds duration.

Congratulations on your retirement! Now you can do anything you want.
Once when my DH was unemployed, he worked with a friend of his who was starting a business inspecting stock for manufacturers. It was dirty, sweaty work and they loved it, the business was established and grew into an empire and my DH got paid in a lump sum. There are opportunities out there.

I try to teach the local waitstaffs how to increase their sales in restaurants, and so far only one person has grasped my advice, (saying "save room for some of our special rhubarb pie today," for instance) but that's one more bump up for the economy. Who knows what you might come up with in the next 50 years!

Another couple in our area began face-paining at fairs to increase their farm income. They had a natural talent and painted so much better than anyone else in Indiana, and they are doing well at their own pace. I've been shouting to the wilderness for so long, do what makes you happy, even though I don't hear replies.

One of our neighbors FIREd, spent two years playing 18 holes of golf twice a day, and teed up one morning and turned around and walked off, going back to his profession. He just worked for a corporation instead of for himself after all the golf. He was very happy.

Let us know how you celebrate. Can you be a househusband?
Never underestimate the difficulty of changing anyone's false beliefs by using facts.

deaneditor is offline   Reply With Quote
2 Months
Old 01-07-2009, 03:49 AM   #26
Confused about dryer sheets
2 Months

Well it's now been two months since I retired. One week after retiring my old company announced it was phasing health care out for all retirees. 3 weeks after retiring my old company announced that it was ending any future contributions to their retirement fund but would make up the difference by raising the 'matching' 401K contribution by 1 to 2 percent (so generous ;o). Recently the company was taken off of the NYSE for failure to maintain a price over a dollar and failure to maintain market cap over 25 mill. Now trading on the Pink List at about 25 cents. The good news is that the check for the lump sum cleared!

Bottom line - besides asking my wife to marry me this was the best decision I ever made. We moved to another state -- to a very small town in the mountains. My wife is one of the town Dr's now so the health care thing isn't an issue. My stress levels are 1/5th of what they used to be, I sleep better, I'm losing weight since I no longer 'stress eat' and I continue to watch my old peers leap off the burning ship one by one. I now have the opportunity to be a house hubbie as long as I want to and look after our younger daughter.

I don't miss the old life for one second ;O)
DavidAz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:05 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Outstanding. I'm so glad that you made the right choice. Your family will appreciate the "new you", as well, from my experience.
Yes, I have achieved work / life balance.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:11 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.
The burning question remains.

... so what was the name of the old company?

"There's those thinkin' more or less, less is more, but if less is more, how you keepin' score?
It means for every point you make, your level drops. Kinda like you're startin' from the top..." "Society" - Eddie Vedder
CCdaCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:18 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by CCdaCE View Post
The burning question remains.

... so what was the name of the old company?

My thoughts also...........:confused:
Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:16 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets
Decided to cash out some to pay off all bills
I did a little of that when I switched Megacorps a few years ago. Sure was painful at tax time.
At 50 years old why not look for a new gig and pay those bills.
Olbidness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:10 AM   #31
Dryer sheet wannabe
David, I too took the lump sum bait. In my case, 55 age, about $5300 pension and $263K severance pkg. Stock options are in the tank but should come back. Toughest part for me is the sudden change of plans but yet must say tired of the grind and insanity at work. I think we should consider ourselves very fortunate, be careful with future investments and live life!

sailwc is offline   Reply With Quote